Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Gilmore & I Agree

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Gilmore & I Disagree

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever with Safety help over the Top wouldn't mind L Bell having a Great game if that means stopping their Air Attack. That would slow the Game down in our favor.
If bell has a great game that will HELP the steeler passing game not hurt it.

Alrighty, then. Circling back to the original thread topic ...

I don't know who the Pats will put on Brown, though I think it's likely that he's covered primarily by one DB. I think that one DB could be McCourty.
Interesting suggestion. Perhaps you are repressing memories of all those balls flying over McCourty's head before they moved him to safety?

He's simply unstoppable at this point. Best bet is to get physical and knock him down.

It’s a question of Butler or Jones IMHO. Gilmore will be a mismatch on Brown because of his size. Gilmore is too long and won’t be able to change direction with Brown as well as Butler or Jones can. The only way Gilmore will see Brown is if they try to rough him up at the line then chase him with safety help. There is a reason why Bill carries two short corners and two tall corners on the roster.

Last edited:
Interesting suggestion. Perhaps you are repressing memories of all those balls flying over McCourty's head before they moved him to safety?

You mean, six years ago?

I'd like to think that his man-coverage skills might have improved somewhat in the interim. IIRC, he was manned-up on someone on several series in the Superbowl.

On a random note, I want Bademosi to get more playing time.

He's simply unstoppable at this point. Best bet is to get physical and knock him down.

I was thinking maybe something more subtle - like hacking his GPS so he can't find the stadium in the first place.

You mean, six years ago?

I'd like to think that his man-coverage skills might have improved somewhat in the interim. IIRC, he was manned-up on someone on several series in the Superbowl.
All DBs have to cover sometimes. If man coverage were his strength he'd still be a CB. We'll see. When Ben tosses those deep sideline balls to Brown I want to see 24.

Also, I hope Rowe has knocked some of the rust off and can contribute more.

If man coverage were his strength he'd still be a CB.

In his second season in the NFL, McCourty's man coverage was certainly a significant weakness. But then, he'd rarely played any man-coverage schemes prior to that. It's merely an assumption to think that he can't possibly have improved in the six years since.

It's also an assumption to think that he still stinks at man-coverage because he's primarily a safety. Alternatively, it's possible that he plays primarily at safety because there's no one better at it on the Pats (and not many in the NFL who are better).

Also, I hope Rowe has knocked some of the rust off and can contribute more.

Rowe is probably big enough to cover Bell and/or their TEs.

Comes right down to it, the Pats' DBs match up fairly well with Ben's top five receiving targets. If the Pats' DL and LBs can contain Bell on the ground and the team as a whole brings their A-game, they should be fine.

Thanks for the insightful feedback....
Well, let me try... Chung will be covering a TE or Bell. That's what he does. He rarely gives over-the-top help on a fast WR. That is a job for McCourty or Harmon. If they are running WR screens, sure, he will help. But asking him to cover a speed guy down the field, even as a helper, is asking for trouble.

Last edited:
This is kind of an odd game for Gilmore. There isn't that large WR to really cover on this team.

Juju is 6'1 but he seems like a speedster/quick guy than one of those physical WRs. Not Gilmore's cup of tea. I think he can handle him though.

Butler has always stepped up to the AB challenge. Let him try and redeem himself from last week. I think a Gilmour/AB matchup would be bad. Put Gilmour on Bryant or Juju.

This is kind of an odd game for Gilmore. There isn't that large WR to really cover on this team.

Juju is 6'1 but he seems like a speedster/quick guy than one of those physical WRs. Not Gilmore's cup of tea. I think he can handle him though.

Bryant is 6’4” granted having a subpar year by his standards but still has that athleticism to beat you deep on any given play.

Because they want to put the guy who covers the best on the number 1 target.

That's not always true. During the Revis days, sometimes he'd play against the #1 guy straight up, sometimes he'd cover #2. A lot of it was based on match-up.

He was on AJ Green straight-up a lot during the Bengals game, but then he wasn't on Calvin Johnson against Detroit (Browner with McCourty combo called upon there).

And last year, Butler was by far our best cover corner, and played against Antonio Brown a lot in the Pittsburgh game. But he didn't play against Julio in the Super Bowl, again, because of match-up.

During all those games, there's obviously mixes in terms of coverage and you almost never see one corner follow one receiver the entire time, although we have seen that at times with Gilmore this season. And maybe Gilmore will be matched-up exclusively with Brown, it's possible. But I'm just saying it's not as simple as assuming your best cover guy goes on their #1 target every single time.

That's not always true. During the Revis days, sometimes he'd play against the #1 guy straight up, sometimes he'd cover #2. A lot of it was based on match-up.

He was on AJ Green straight-up a lot during the Bengals game, but then he wasn't on Calvin Johnson against Detroit (Browner with McCourty combo called upon there).

And last year, Butler was by far our best cover corner, and played against Antonio Brown a lot in the Pittsburgh game. But he didn't play against Julio in the Super Bowl, again, because of match-up.

During all those games, there's obviously mixes in terms of coverage and you almost never see one corner follow one receiver the entire time, although we have seen that at times with Gilmore this season. And maybe Gilmore will be matched-up exclusively with Brown, it's possible. But I'm just saying it's not as simple as assuming your best cover guy goes on their #1 target every single time.
The question was why are people saying out Gilmore on brown.
My statement was the people saying that want to put the best cover guy on the #1 target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back