Some Thoughts On Minor Changes To The Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
FRONT SEVEN
I think that Hightower might better utilized as a LB with Van Noy. Harris, Roberts or Flowers can still be the 3rd LB, if needed. We have this "luxury" because the new guys on the DL are doing fin: Wise, Guy, Butler and Marsh. We don't need the 5th addition to the DL as much as we need help at LB.

SECONDARY
Obviously, Gilmore needs to be better integrated into the defense. Perhaps, the defense needs to be dumbed down for a while. Obviously, Rowe needs to get healthy. Perhaps, now is the time to activate one of our PS defensive backs, unless Patricia has faith in Bademosi as a corner.

SECONDARY
Obviously, Gilmore needs to be better integrated into the defense. Perhaps, the defense needs to be dumbed down for a while. Obviously, Rowe needs to get healthy. Perhaps, now is the time to activate one of our PS defensive backs, unless Patricia has faith in Bademosi as a corner.
Harmon said yesterday after the game that the defense has already been simplified as much as it can be.

There's a scary thought, eh?

Can we bring up David Jones he has height and was a turnover machine in college and a binkie of mine.

Some guys just have the knack to be around ball like Jarius Byrd or Dexter Jackson.

Some of it is intuition some of it is luck sure.

But we can use that kind In the secondary.

What if we have a base defense of Wise Flowers on the ends with Butler at the nose with Chung and Marquis Flowers as backers Hightower Van noy in the inside.
A secondary of Mccourty at free and Harmon as strong with David Jones rotating in and out per formation.
Gilmore and Rowe on the outside with Butler as the nickel.
This gives the defense speed at the backers who can rush as well as drop in coverage Butler won't get line up against long lean receivers where he struggles.

Marquis Flowers can use his speed to rush or cover backs in space.
Flowers and Wise can collapse the pocket as well as contain the run.

We are strengthening the middle run defense by having High and Van Noy man the middle in run defense as well as having ability to diagnose and shoot a gap.

Mccourty can do what he does best and play deep centerfield and Harmon can roam and play the ball as well as being a willing tackler.

Rowe and Gilmore on the outside make the most sense with their length helping to defend deep passes and post routes.

We need to get way more aggressive bend don't break is broken and I'm very unhappy with the mentality and aggression on D they are playing neutered.
To let Cam Newton fearlessly run or pass at will.

We could of at least let Kony Ealy see if he is the Newton whisperer.
I feel BB gave up on him too soon he's doing very good things with the jesters.

It's time to trade for some mean defensive players.
I want guys who don't try to hurt but hate getting beat and don't help guys up after knocking the stuffing out of them.
We have one in Gilmore but Mccourty and some of the guys are playing very soft.
I can't call it but the attitude of this defense is gone.
They need to have a meeting and let everyone let out their thoughts they aren't playing as a unit.

Fix it BB

Harmon said yesterday after the game that the defense has already been simplified as much as it can be.

There's a scary thought, eh?

The only thing that makes us lose games right now as the offense regularly scores 30+ are big plays on the D. I wonder if we can get away with just playing a ****ton of zone against the Bucs for that one game trying to minimize the damage.

Afterwards we got 17 days until the Falcons game (and a nice little scrim against the Jets) to try to fix some of the deeper communication issues with the mix of zone/pattern read coverages that Patricia likes to run.

I mean there is really not too much you can do in 3 days until a TNF anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back