PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Elliot suspension back on

I'm reminded of that Mel Brooks movie where he keeps saying "it's great to be the king".

good-to-be-king.gif

And now Jerruh's lawyers are fully engaged (warning: BSPN link: Jones' lawyer: Owners misled in Goodell talks ).

A not at all subtle run at the Commish. Wish Krafty Bob had these kinds of cajones.

It's all rich man power plays. The only real way to get past this **** is to have independent arbiters approved by both players and the league deal with discipline. It's really stupid of the NFL to get itself involved in dealing with issues such as domestic violence. Yet we got a bunch of rich guys who think they're gods, and the last thing in the world they want to do is give up power.

This will all end in tears.

Nah, Kraft shouldn't get involved. Let them go at it. the other owners screwed Kraft and the patriots, let them see the other way of doing business.
Just one example of why they’ll never get Goodell out.

That was always a joke wasn't it? I think it was all about winning the lawsuit (or even getting it to ultimate adjudication) being the dicey part.
Kraft didn't go nuclear, Jones might. IDFC how it proceeds as long as it ends in Goodell being sent packing. His contract is up in a year. To re-up Goodell will be a travesty. If it takes entitled nitwit Jones to be the catalyst tonot re-up it? I can live with that...

I don't think those fans were joking. I remember providing them with a story about the owners being wary of the new guy suing the league so they didn't fight his move to LA.

Kraft pushed to get Goodell in as commish and publicly took the side of the owners in both Crygate and Defamegate. He lost a lot with some fans because of those things.

That was always a joke wasn't it? I think it was all about winning the lawsuit (or even getting it to ultimate adjudication) being the dicey part.
Kraft didn't go nuclear, Jones might. IDFC how it proceeds as long as it ends in Goodell being sent packing. His contract is up in a year. To re-up Goodell will be a travesty. If it takes entitled nitwit Jones to be the catalyst tonot re-up it? I can live with that...

I don't think those fans were joking. I remember providing them with a story about the owners being wary of the new guy suing the league so they didn't fight his move to LA.

Kraft pushed to get Goodell in as commish and publicly took the side of the owners in both Crygate and Defamegate. He lost a lot with some fans because of those things.

And now Jerruh's lawyers are fully engaged (warning: BSPN link: Jones' lawyer: Owners misled in Goodell talks ).

A not at all subtle run at the Commish. Wish Krafty Bob had these kinds of cajones.

It's all rich man power plays. The only real way to get past this **** is to have independent arbiters approved by both players and the league deal with discipline. It's really stupid of the NFL to get itself involved in dealing with issues such as domestic violence. Yet we got a bunch of rich guys who think they're gods, and the last thing in the world they want to do is give up power.

This will all end in tears.

To be fair (and I am 100% on the side of labor; I'm a union vice president myself), it's useless DeMaurice Smith's fault for signing a CBA that allowed management to act as judge, jury, and executioner. The players don't have a ton of leverage but they couldn't have been more idiotic in the last CBA negotiations, and that all starts with Smith.

This is a good read with your coffee: Who Ruined the NFL Players Union?

Management's abuse of power in the NFL has modified my previously negative (I was once a member) view of modern labor unions.

To be fair (and I am 100% on the side of labor; I'm a union vice president myself), it's useless DeMaurice Smith's fault for signing a CBA that allowed management to act as judge, jury, and executioner. The players don't have a ton of leverage but they couldn't have been more idiotic in the last CBA negotiations, and that all starts with Smith.

This is a good read with your coffee: Who Ruined the NFL Players Union?
Interesting read.

I can't help but like the irony of the union screwing up its negotiations by letting Rog have all the power, and then Rog falling on his sword because he used that power against one of Jerruh's players.

I never claimed that the incident did/didn’t take place. I pretty much said exactly what you did. The prosecutor examined the evidence and did not feel as though there was a case. A lot of that was due to lack of proof, conflicting stories and timelines, and the belief that the accused may have been lying/embellishing her story.

Also, you keep ignoring the fact that the NFL has its own investigations team who came to the conclusion that a punishment was not warranted. To me, that’s even more important. It’s why the system is in place to begin with. For Goodell to completely ignore that is even more proof that he makes it up as he sees fit.

This is from the prosecutor:

“Tiffany just said that she wanted him to get counseling. Not vindictive, didn’t seem like she had a vendetta. I feel like something definitely happened here. She had bruising. We couldn’t determine exactly when and how she got the bruises, so we couldn’t charge him. But that doesn’t mean something didn’t happen here.”

On Elliot's phone and texts:

The NFL requested that Elliott provide his texts and call logs with Thompson over a certain period, but he provided “redacted, incomplete” records: “None of the records provided contained the substance of any text messages, nor the call logs from from Mr. Elliott’s two cell phones and to date, such evidence has not been provided.”

From the doctors:

kcbon1ntuhwuuudtix3z.png

This is from the prosecutor:

“Tiffany just said that she wanted him to get counseling. Not vindictive, didn’t seem like she had a vendetta. I feel like something definitely happened here. She had bruising. We couldn’t determine exactly when and how she got the bruises, so we couldn’t charge him. But that doesn’t mean something didn’t happen here.”

On Elliot's phone and texts:

The NFL requested that Elliott provide his texts and call logs with Thompson over a certain period, but he provided “redacted, incomplete” records: “None of the records provided contained the substance of any text messages, nor the call logs from from Mr. Elliott’s two cell phones and to date, such evidence has not been provided.”

From the doctors:

kcbon1ntuhwuuudtix3z.png
And there’s plenty of conflicting testimony and reports, too, not to mention the timeline problems. Anyone can pick and choose items to bolster their case. I can do the same with Brady and the ball deflation scheme, but in the end it doesn’t mean a thing.

The bottom line is that there is a second layer of protection provided by the NFL’s own investigations team which took over a year to complete, and the lead investigator there suggested that he shouldn’t be punished.

The eyes of the law: not enough evidence to charge him

The eyes of the NFL’s investigation unit: not enough evidence to warrant a suspension

The eyes of Roger Goodell: ignores everyone and does what he wants

Article 46 has been there since approximately 1960 and didn't cause trouble until Goodell came along. Why blame Smith for a failure to modify Article 46? Sure, it's a nasty provision of the CBA, but it hadn't caused problems for decades so why cash in chips trying to change it? I bet if it even came up the players would have told him to not give up anything to get changes.

I really need a score card to keep track of this. What a cluster f**k for the NFL.

Article 46 has been there since approximately 1960 and didn't cause trouble until Goodell came along. Why blame Smith for a failure to modify Article 46? Sure, it's a nasty provision of the CBA, but it hadn't caused problems for decades so why cash in chips trying to change it? I bet if it even came up the players would have told him to not give up anything to get changes.

That's actually a fair point. To get independent arbitrators you'd have to give something else up, and this is something that impacts very, very few players (albeit high profile ones) out of the thousands the NFLPA represents. It'd be giving up something for the many for the benefit of a relatively privileged few. No one should be too concerned with the long-term financial health of Brady, Peterson, or Elliot, for example, even if it's annoying for fans. Someone like Geneo Grissom is not facing the anvil of league discipline, but he's much more representative of NFL players as opposed to the oppressed superstar who faces Goodell's personal sanction.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back