PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Decision on Malcolm Mitchell looms today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belichick apparently made it 'official'.

That's a good thing. He was only a reasonable option if Amendola/Hogan/Cooks couldn't go.

Was written on the wall when he did not suit up against the Titans. Not surprising, though. Belichick simply puts more trust in receivers that had been healthy through the year. It would be hard for him to go against Ramsey or Bouye without a single snap of game action all season.

And so ends the longest tease of an IR player returning I have ever experienced.

Yeah MM better be ready to go come Mini and TC or it might be adios if he's injury prone. Well at least they have Britt for another year also Dorsett: may he healthiest player win.

Not surprised... Getting Rex back this week should help not only our run game, but he'll definitely help out catching the ball.

Not surprised... Getting Rex back this week should help not only our run game, but he'll definitely help out catching the ball.
assuming his knee isn't still hampering him...

Yeah MM better be ready to go come Mini and TC or it might be adios if he's injury prone. Well at least they have Britt for another year also Dorsett: may he healthiest player win.
I will get hates and dislikes for this, but I think we’ve seen the best of MM, last year. I don’t think he’ll ever be a good football player ever again, his knees are shot. May be another Dobson that bounces around the league for a few years. But the guy has just had too many knee injuries. Obviously the one that kept him out this year, was major, since it kept him out the WHOLE year. Or he reinjured it when he came back to practice. Don’t know why they even bothered taking him off IR. Makes no sense.

I will get hates and dislikes for this, but I think we’ve seen the best of MM, last year. I don’t think he’ll ever be a good football player ever again, his knees are shot. May be another Dobson that bounces around the league for a few years. But the guy has just had too many knee injuries. Obviously the one that kept him out this year, was major, since it kept him out the WHOLE year. Or he reinjured it when he came back to practice. Don’t know why they even bothered taking him off IR. Makes no sense.
Hate and dislike.

Seriously you have nothing to base this on.
He had an injury and got close to coming back. This happens.

What are you basing this opinion on? You may as well try picking lottery numbers. I don’t think we have any idea as to what will happen yet.

With Jones to IR they bring in Reedy instead of Mitchell.....

After he helped us win a super bowl, I think I can have a little patience in getting him back.

Guy helped us win the Super Bowl and contributed during our playoff run. Almost came back this year. No one should be in a hurry to write him off.

First of all, if his knee injury was "major", why did they even bother with putting him on the IR-DtR list in the first place?

Second, reports from more than one reliable source (like Reiss) said that Mitchell was running again sometime around Halloween and cutting by early December, so it's not as if he wasn't in shape.

However, the guy had a four-month layoff from football - game speed and contact. From the get-go, the odds were against him getting back up to game speed enough in three weeks time to be able to contribute as much as, or more than the healthy pass-catchers on the roster. He didn't need to "re-injure" anything. It's equally possible that his knee is fine, but he just couldn't get all the way back to where he needed to be, practice-wise.

Also, keep in mind that he had a knee issue before the playoffs last season and still caught 6 of 7 for 70 yds in the Superbowl. How "major" could that possibly have been? Furthtermore, he started the 2nd pre-season game this year and looked great ... until O'Schnickelgruber rolled up on him on a sideline catch. It's not as if Mitchell hurt himself walking to his car.

I really don't see any factual basis for such a fatalistic diagnosis.

Knee procedures have advanced tremendously. I can't imagine anyone not having a chance now. Probably wanted to see if rest would do it, now he'll have surgery?

Knee procedures have advanced tremendously. I can't imagine anyone not having a chance now. Probably wanted to see if rest would do it, now he'll have surgery?

I hope not, too late, a major surgery now affects the next season.

I hope not, too late, a major surgery now affects the next season.

Mitchell's been running since sometime in October and just practiced for a couple of weeks. Unless something serious occurred in practice that hasn't been reported, it doesn't seem like surgery now would be anything "major".

In April 2013 (his junior year), he tore is right meniscus in spring practices, had surgery, and was back to full practice in Camp in late-July (and then tore his right ACL in the first game).

He had a cartilage cleanout/repair in late July of 2014 and missed only four games in September.

If he has another cartilage cleanout in February, he should be available for mandatory mini-Camp in May.

Anyway, I haven't seen any reports (beyond speculation) that he's actually having surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back