PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

HYPOTHETICAL : What should the Pats do if Hogan is out long term?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So, Hogan took a hit to his right side from Pullard's helmet. First glance I thought his arm was broken. But watching him on the sidelines, it looked like it was either a separated shoulder or dislocated shoulder that popped back in.

IF he is out long term, what should the Pats do prior to the trade deadline?

We've heard that they inquired about Martavius Bryant.
We've heard that the Lions have received inquiries about Calvin Johnson from unnamed teams. I would be surprised if the Pats are one of the teams since Bob Quinn is from the Pats front office originally.

They have several options in house. They have Cody Hollister, Riley McCarron and Jake Kumerow on the PS. Hollister has been here since TC. McCarron has been here for a few weeks. Kumerow just got here a few days ago.

Malcolm Mitchell is on the IR and could be designated for return but rumor has it that he won't be returning this year.

Is there someone you feel the Patriots could/should acquire to help bolster the team that hasn't been mentioned?

Last edited:
@PatriotsReign mentioned Devin Lucien in another thread since he's still floating around the league. That could be a possibility.

KJ Maye could also be someone since he had a pretty decent camp..

I think Eric Ebron might just need a change to start to play to this potential.
Also, the time is now or never to go after Fitz.

Our cap space = $4,949,798
Not a lot of wiggle room.

New England Patriots 2017 Salary Cap

Anyone they sign will only count for half a season. But it factors big in trading for someone like Fitzgerald who has a cap hit of over $15.8M. However, with it being all guaranteed, I'm not sure how much of that stays with Arizona and how much transfers.

I don't have any faith that a receiver can come into this system in the middle of the season and contribute.

Why do you think I mentioned people already IN the system.

BTW, I disagree with you. I think someone like a Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson could come in here and excel. The problem is that there aren't many others who could unless they've been in the system.

relax

1. Hogan's tough.
2. Dola will step up meanwhile like he is used to.
3. Pats have plenty receivers left. This is today menu:
REC YDS AVG TD LONG TGTS
James White 5 85 17.0 0 27 6
Rex Burkhead 7 68 9.7 0 14 7
Chris Hogan 5 60 12.0 0 19 7
Rob Gronkowski 5 57 11.4 1 26 9
Brandin Cooks 5 26 5.2 0 9 8
Danny Amendola 2 14 7.0 0 9 6
Jacob Hollister 1 13 13.0 0 13 1
Dion Lewis 2 10 5.0 0 11 2

Mike ReissESPN Staff Writer
WR Chris Hogan, who had his right arm in a sling after the game, is scheduled for an MRI in the morning, per source. Initial optimism it isn't bad but tests will determine.

Still need to have someone other than Cooks, Amendola, and Dorsett for WR if Hogan is out for even 2 weeks..

Editted: Forgot Amendola since he was kinda silent this week.

Last edited:
Still need to have someone other than Cooks and Dorsett for WR if Hogan is out for even 2 weeks..

So you don't want to count Dola?
White who is a prime WR target?
Burk stepping up as receiver?

They went with 3 CBs in 3 games, went with 3 DLs (and only one DT on a mend) so Id guess they wouldn't be too worried going with 3 nominal WRs (bc I guess nobody counts Slater) for a few games esp. since Gronk, White and now also Burk get same # of targets as top WRs.

Im not saying they will not bring another WR before trade window with long stretch in mind since Mitchell is speculated not coming back. Although I wouldn't sleep on Cody Hollister as Mitchell's alternative if needed..

This may sound crazy but if it's for a few weeks, why not just line up one of the RBs at the WR position and you have somebody who knows the system and has good hands.....???
Better than bringing somebody off the street and ask them to get up to speed midseason.........

So you don't want to count Dola?
White who is a prime WR target?
Burk stepping up as receiver?

They went with 3 CBs in 3 games, went with 3 DLs (and only one DT on a mend) so Id guess they wouldn't be too worried going with 3 nominal WRs (bc I guess nobody counts Slater) for a few games esp. since Gronk, White and now also Burk get same # of targets as top WRs.

Im not saying they will not bring another WR before trade window with long stretch in mind since Mitchell is speculated not coming back. Although I wouldn't sleep on Cody Hollister as Mitchell's alternative if needed..

Going with 3 CBs when you have 3 safeties like McCourty, Chung and Harmon is a bit different.

They didn't go with just 3 DL. Flowers, Butler, Branch, Guy, Marsh. That's 5 by my count.. Guy has the build of a 4-3 DT.

There's a huge difference between the routes that White and Burkhead run and the routes that Hogan runs.

Gronk's numbers are the same as when Gronk was healthy in previous years.

My dream is give Detoit a second for Ansah,Ebron and the rights to Calvin Johnson
In return we give them Dwayne Allen taking that money off our cap.
We call our friend Sean Payton and offer a 7th rounder and Brandon Bolden for A defensive lineman we did well with that before.
Last Belichick calls up a stressed out Bruce Arians talks to him for about a hour about formations and tells Arians he may have a place for him on his staff if the Arizona let's Arians go and Josh spreads his wings.
Convinces Bruce to convince his GM trading Fitzgerald for a 5th isn't just about making the Patriots stronger but the Cardinals have been under tremendous pressure to give Larry a Superbowl and that's not good for anyone not fair to Larry.
He also convinces Bruce that if he trades him to new England that Bruce can see him again when hes brought up North as a coaching assistant next season.
After crying for about 15 minutes Arians thanks Bill profusely and tells Larry the news.
Larry doesn't even pack a bag he runs out the door where our team Jet Lands in his yard and he and his family are flown to Gillette.
Belichick then calls the Chargers and tells them that when he was watching tape he noticed Engram was the reason the Chargers we're getting gashed against the run and offers to take him off their hands as well as send them a 4th round pick to help them out and apologizes they drafted and extended such a liability.
The Chargers just blown away by Belichicks generosity also thtow in a 6th round pick because it's the right thing to do.
Belichick then sits back lights a cigar and laughs maniacally.
Brady cries tears of pure joy and Josh McDaniels and him have the biggest bro hug ever.

Going with 3 CBs when you have 3 safeties like McCourty, Chung and Harmon is a bit different.

They didn't go with just 3 DL. Flowers, Butler, Branch, Guy, Marsh. That's 5 by my count.. Guy has the build of a 4-3 DT.

There's a huge difference between the routes that White and Burkhead run and the routes that Hogan runs.

Gronk's numbers are the same as when Gronk was healthy in previous years.

No need to stretch CBs and DLs (meant interior, Wise and Flowers are DEs moving in on 3rd downs) to make a point if you don't recognize actual receivers on this team as players to step up for Hogan. When Branch went down at the beginning of the game it was not pretty. Of course Flowers and Wise can move in but they don't have the size to block 300+ ilb OL-ers plus you don't have any pass rush left.

And wouldn't you say Gronk, White, Lewis, even Burkhead have better experience and production in receiving game than D-Mac, Chung or Harmon have at covering top wideouts? C'mon.

Them not having same routs as Hogan is a good point (but you still have Cooks, Dola and Dorsett to work with there, partly Gronk, J.Hollister). The point is you adjust and there are plenty of productive, experienced receivers on the team to game plan around them for a few games, don't you think? Or do you really think some outsider who never saw the playbook, worked with Brady etc. will offer better short-term adjustment?

Next man up over salivating for some outside saviours any day for me . esp. at WR.

If Hogan is lost for the year, how about Michael Floyd? He has experience in the Pats' system and is near the bottom of the depth chart with the Vikings. If Floyd has really straightened out his life, he does have a lot of natural ability and is a big, fast target.

If Hogan is out for the year then I think we’d have to give serious consideration to bringing Mitchell back, even if that means sitting Valentine for the year. As it stands now, I prefer bringing VV back—as long as Hogan is going to return quickly.

As far as realistic outsiders go, the only guy that I’d feel comfortable with (who is realistic) would be Anquan Boldin. His experience and football intelligence sets him apart from all of the other options, and I think he could pick the system up quicker than anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes