PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

IR watch: McClellin & Valentine more likely to return than Mitchell (per Reiss)

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
IR watch: McClellin & Valentine more likely to return than Mitchell . acc to Reiss

Important insight (and not the best news) by Reiss about Pats IR eligible to return guys in his weekly quick-hits:
Cassius Marsh makes subtle statement with USA flag mouth guard

MM out of the season would certainly be very disappointing for more than one reason (though not entirely surprising). TB could certainly use his type of WR . Reiss is not often wrong w this kind of hunches and this sheds new light on Brissett - Dorsett trade.

Cody Hollister seems the closest MM option IMO so it will be interesting to see if they bring him in later in the season regardless of injuries.
__

quote:

Patriots linebacker Shea McClellin is eligible to begin practicing this week after opening the year on injured reserve (presumably with a concussion). McClellin has been around the team, participating in meetings, and those close to him relay that he has been feeling much better. So he could be on the cusp of a return to the practice field. Meanwhile, my sense is that receiver Malcolm Mitchell, who was placed on IR on Sept. 7 (knee), is not close to being a consideration to begin practicing at this point, if at all this year. Finally, defensive tackle Vincent Valentine (knee), who went on IR on Sept. 22, has been participating in meetings and appears to still be a consideration to return at some point.

Last edited:
Return the injured (reserves)

From Reiss' comments, I would not be surprised to see McClellin at practice tomorrow (or Tuesday), while the comment about Mitchell is surprising and disappointing. Still unclear what his knee injury was, but if it is keeping him out the entire year with his history, that could be concerning about his future. Valentine then jumps to the front of the line after McClellin. IR players must sit 8 weeks so injuries later in the season are running out of time to return.

Patriots linebacker Shea McClellin is eligible to begin practicing this week after opening the year on injured reserve (presumably with a concussion). McClellin has been around the team, participating in meetings, and those close to him relay that he has been feeling much better. So he could be on the cusp of a return to the practice field. Meanwhile, my sense is that receiver Malcolm Mitchell, who was placed on IR on Sept. 7 (knee), is not close to being a consideration to begin practicing at this point, if at all this year. Finally, defensive tackle Vincent Valentine (knee), who went on IR on Sept. 22, has been participating in meetings and appears to still be a consideration to return at some point.
Cassius Marsh makes subtle statement with USA flag mouth guard

McClellin was IR'd in week-1 (as was Mitchell) so he can come back for week-9 (@DEN).

Valentine was IR'd in week-3, so he can return for week-11 (MIA at Gillette, the start of a five-game string of divisional contests interrupted by a visit to the Steelers).

If Mitchell is STILL having problems with his knee (s?), probably better to allow him to heal up completely. But I agree that it doesn't appear to bode well for his future in football.

McClellin was IR'd in week-1 (as was Mitchell) so he can come back for week-9 (@DEN).

Valentine was IR'd in week-3, so he can return for week-11 (MIA at Gillette, the start of a five-game string of divisional contests interrupted by a visit to the Steelers).

If Mitchell is STILL having problems with his knee (s?), probably better to allow him to heal up completely. But I agree that it doesn't appear to bode well for his future in football.

If true, am really starting to worry about the long term health of MM as he has now had multiple issues with his knees going back to college. Hopefully it is just one of those early career things and he is able to come back fully healthy next year. While the Pats are probably the deepest they have ever been at the skill positions I think he really adds a different element than the other WR's.

Any two of those three will provide a much needed boost in team performance.

That's how I'm seeing it. Getting anyone back would be balls, because we need the help, but it's still a little disappointing about Malcolm. Hopefully, he'll bounce back next year. He's shown a lot of potential.

I understand the D is more concerning & I get that McC & VV are defenders who have played meaningful snaps for this team in the past.

Having said that : I'm still concerned that MM seemingly isn't going to return (per Reiss' assessment) because I feel that he makes the most impact when out there.

McC & VV are ok players who can help a bit. I think MM is a player who can shoulder a load and make important plays at key moments, making his return my preference if I could pick and choose.

Eh...when BB decides what to do I guess we will know the truth...ppfffttt

Funny, I just typed a post in another thread about why I thought Mitchell was the highest need to return. Oops!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes