PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Mitchell coming back??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just don’t have Roberts covering Bell when he splits out wide. It was surprising how badly he was beat in the last game:
Patricia should be destroyed if he puts Roberts or Any linebacker not named Flowers one on one vs Bell.
Id like to see the Marshall Faulk strategy against Bell this game.
Hit him constantly never let him be comfortable.

That's what I'm thinking.

Erase Bell (82% catch rate) in the passing game and on the edges and force him to run through the line (into Roberts and Harris).
Erase Jesse James (71% catch rate - Roethlisberger's other favorite outlet target).
Contain Brown (62% catch rate), especially his YAC.

That leaves Roethlisberger facing more 3rd downs and having to force deeper throws to Bryant (55% catch rate) and JuJu (66% catch rate) more often. More focus on JuJu of these two.
Bell = 2016 JE11. Hes the chain mover and the offensive rhythm.

Isn't it starting to get a little late for Mitchell or Valentine? I don't have the rules down, but if we aren't hearing something soon, I wonder if either are healthy.

As for MM that's a BB decision, I have zero opinion on this. We keep signing WRs

Isn't it starting to get a little late for Mitchell or Valentine? I don't have the rules down, but if we aren't hearing something soon, I wonder if either are healthy.

AFAIK, according to the rules either could be designated to return and be immediately activated right up till the SB. The team has the option to designate a player and then have him practice with the team on a roster exemption for up to three weeks, after which they must put him on the active roster (and cut someone to make room), or return the player to IR.

In a practical sense, one or the other would probably need to start practicing on the exemption beginning this coming Wednesday at the latest in order to have any realistic chance of being able to contribute in the playoffs.

As for MM that's a BB decision, I have zero opinion on this. We keep signing WRs
He's never not made a deal because he had too much affordable talent, so I don't see that as indicative. I think if one or both of them were healthy we'd be seeing movement, or there's a date soon when it's wait til next year.

AFAIK, according to the rules either could be designated to return and be immediately activated right up till the SB. The team has the option to designate a player and then have him practice with the team on a roster exemption for up to three weeks, after which they must put him on the active roster (and cut someone to make room), or return the player to IR.

In a practical sense, one or the other would probably need to start practicing on the exemption beginning this coming Wednesday at the latest in order to have any realistic chance of being able to contribute in the playoffs.

Thank you so much. If they do elevate one with only a week or two practice it would be Valentine. He could probably fit in a rotation quickly, if healthy. Mitchell would need to fit in with the offense.

I agree that we are down to the end. Hannable thinks the Britt signing means Mitchell is not returning, but we will find out in a couple of days. Of course, even if someone is DTR Wed, it doesn't mean he would be activated. My guess, sadly, is that neither is ready.

Good a place as any to drop this...

How was any of this surprising ? It has been obvious for over a year that he is awful in coverage as well as very inconsistent against the run.

I know he has been bad in coverage and sometimes he will get a good tackle, but usually he is just a few steps behind. In that play it was next level bad. He looks so slow with no instincts.

Hogan will have a stellar game and Pittsburgh will be fortunate to score even three points.

Thank you so much. If they do elevate one with only a week or two practice it would be Valentine. He could probably fit in a rotation quickly, if healthy. Mitchell would need to fit in with the offense.

According to reports, both have been in the facility on a regular basis all season long, so both are likely to be mentally up-to-date with the current state of this year's playbook (neither will likely be lost). For me, then, it's all about which might contribute greater game-day value than the player they might replace on the roster.

1) Valentine hasn't experienced practice speed, much less game speed, or contact in nearly four months.
-- VERSUS --
(likely)RJF, who has.
..... What are the realistic chances that a mere three weeks of practice makes Valentine a significantly superior option to RJF?

2) Mitchell is in the same position as Valentine in terms of speed of play and contact.
-- VERSUS --
One of Britt or Dorsett.
..... What are the realistic chances that Mitchell, after three weeks of practice, might be a significantly superior option to either Britt or Dorsett?

At this point, I'd lean toward Mitchell.

However, the calculations may change substantially if ..
A) Branch won't be healthy in time for the playoffs (Valentine possibly needed more)
-- OR --
B) Britt outperforms most expectations this afternoon (in which case, "Suck it, Dorsey!"). Mitchell possibly needed less

The other thing is that, due to getting the three week roster exemption for practice, there's no harm in bringing one or the other in for that period since there's no requirement that the practicing player be activated at the end of the three weeks (they could still be sent back to IR if not needed). This, of course, assumes that both are sufficiently recovered from their injuries that practicing won't pose an undue risk of a setback.

So, if Branch is healthy AND Britt performs very well, the Pats could still have one of Mitchell/Valentine practicing, and available to be activated just in case (for three weeks).

In that circumstance, I'd probably still go with Mitchell as the "just in case" guy. Even if they end up not needing him, it might be of more benefit (than it might be with Valentine) to see how well he performs in practice since that may help to eliminate a variable in next season's player-acquisition calculations wrt FA and draft.

I agree that we are down to the end. Hannable thinks the Britt signing means Mitchell is not returning, but we will find out in a couple of days. Of course, even if someone is DTR Wed, it doesn't mean he would be activated. My guess, sadly, is that neither is ready.

Hannable apparently discounts the notion that Britt was actually brought in to help out while Hogan gets back to 100%. Mitchell (hypothetically) could begin practicing Wednesday on the three-week roster exemption, and then replace Britt on the roster before the divisional round (assuming Hogan hasn't had a setback).

Good a place as any to drop this...

Pitt CBs are on the smaller side so it does make sense they have a few isolation/post up plays for him in the gameplan

I know he has been bad in coverage and sometimes he will get a good tackle, but usually he is just a few steps behind. In that play it was next level bad. He looks so slow with no instincts.

I assume that you're discussing Roberts.

If so, it seems to me that he's been better this season covering shallow crossers and guys in the flat (except in the end zone). However, there's no way in hell he should be covering anybody but a slow TE who's even remotely likely to run a deeper route on the boundary.

Patricia should be destroyed if he puts Roberts or Any linebacker not named Flowers one on one vs Bell.
Id like to see the Marshall Faulk strategy against Bell this game.
Hit him constantly never let him be comfortable.
So you think that if Pittsburgh sets up a play where a lb has to cover a rb tgat is an unacceptable failure by the DC?
So explain to me if Pitt comes out 3 wr and a TD and bell, so the pats are in nickel, if the patriots are playing any type of man or zone coverage how you prevent bell being covered by a lb. remember you have to cover the 3 wides and the TE too.

So you think that if Pittsburgh sets up a play where a lb has to cover a rb tgat is an unacceptable failure by the DC?
So explain to me if Pitt comes out 3 wr and a TD and bell, so the pats are in nickel, if the patriots are playing any type of man or zone coverage how you prevent bell being covered by a lb. remember you have to cover the 3 wides and the TE too.
I'd call a Timeout if its third down.

Hogan out, so time for Dorsett to just decoy the hell out of Pitt today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back