PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Decision on Malcolm Mitchell looms today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be wrong, but is MM even needed at this point?

I don't think he is CRITICAL but I think the consensus is if he is healthy, he is the kinda receiver you want vs the JAX defense. Hes on a 1st name basis with Tom, hes a proven short/intermediate target, can beat man coverage and knows where to sit in the zones.

Can they win without him? Of course.

If I had too guess, I'd say I don't believe he'll be activated. It kind of goes against what we've seen/heard recently, but I just don't know if they would at this point. He's played no real football since the SB. We'll see soon, though.

Needed? No. But he would help a ton short/medium, especially outside the numbers. That's where MM gets his best separation IMO, and the Patriots don't really have anyone who can consistently do that at the WR position. Amendola, maybe?

I think BB said ATL played a lot of man/Cover 1 but I could be mistaken. Either way the Ds are the same in principal.

Also read that their DC is playing more Cover 2 this year.

With that said I can't see JAX sitting back in a Cover 3 zone all game. Thats suicide.

Either way its a good game for MM b/c when healthy he can beat man coverage and also knows where to sit in zones.

I just can't see him NOT being activated.

If he is not activated then there has to still be something structurally wrong with his leg and it can be re-injured at any moment.

Why couldn't you see that his leg is fine . there was no setback . but coaches just didn't think he is ready for the physicality and speed and freeze.. of the playoff games after being away from the field for so long?

I think accrued/credited season formula does not apply to MM. He will lose full season from free agency and NFL pension point of view. From a player point of view, it might be better if he is not activated. I am not implying that MM may be thinking that way.

The Tennessee game would have been a great time to play him, particularly in the 4th where NE was up big.

Why couldn't you see that his leg is fine . there was no setback . but coaches just didn't think he is ready for the physicality and speed and freeze.. of the playoff games after being away from the field for so long?

You are assuming I actually know what his deal is.

I have no idea if he is healthy or not.

Nor do I know what his injury actually was or if he has any current limitations.

According to MM's Tweets hes ready to go so I'm going off what he is saying.

Mitchell one of few receivers who can create space against man to man coverage. #Let’sGo

If his leg was still suspect to injury in any way he would not be practicing. His "Good to Go" tweet confirms the team and himself feel he is beyond the recovery period. Question is do they feel he can get game ready in the short period of time to get reps. As stated maybe situational or red zone. Does Anyone know how many plays Britt is playing per game. If it is also situational why not go with MM knowing he already has Brady's trust and understanding of our system.

You are assuming I actually know what his deal is.

I have no idea if he is healthy or not.

Nor do I know what his injury actually was or if he has any current limitations.

According to MM's Tweets hes ready to go so I'm going off what he is saying.

Didn't mean to assume. Just put out the idea that coaching decision could be as important as medical decision re. MM roster spot esp. at this point.

Branch felt ready to go two times already but they decided not to suit him for game.

btw - his latest tweet could as well mean he's not coming back..

Didn't mean to assume. Just put out the idea that coaching decision could be as important as medical decision re. MM roster spot esp. at this point.

Branch felt ready to go two times already but they decided not to suit him for game.

Sounds like he’s done for the year...

To activate him they first must create a space on the roster by releasing someone or sending a player to IR. So the MM decision is linked to the loss of another player. One thing to watch is whether Jonathan Jones is spotted at practice as his injury is unknown and possibly an IR candidate. Your inactives from last week were:

Mike Gillislee, RB
Alan Branch, DL
Kenny Britt, WR
Rex Burkhead, RB
Cole Croston, OL
David Harris, LB
Johnson Bademosi, CB

Burkhead is reportedly returning while Branch and Gillislee were limited in practice and did not dress. Harris has received little playing time and with KVN returning and Flowers on the rise, did not dress despite going up against a powerful running game last week (with another on the way).
Unless Jones is an IR candidate (looked like a pretty bad ankle injury), then the only logical choice to cut here in my mind is Britt. A late addition who hasn't contributed anything and MM plays the same position. Any of those others could contribute or add depth for this game (and hopefully, the Super Bowl) if needed.

Well if that's the case wouldn't they have just shut him down last week and said to hell with it??:confused: He Practiced Thursday of last week I think.

That tweet only references not suiting up on the 13th which was the day they played the Titans. I don't see any way that that tweet gives an impression that he will not suit up for future games.

If anything, it actually gives MORE credence to the chance that he will suit up this weekend if he felt that there was a possibility he may have dressed last week.

Unless Jones is an IR candidate (looked like a pretty bad ankle injury), then the only logical choice to cut here in my mind is Britt. A late addition who hasn't contributed anything and MM plays the same position. Any of those others could contribute or add depth for this game (and hopefully, the Super Bowl) if needed.

I say the more the merrier activating Michell would be one more player on Offense the D have to worry about. Malcolm Mitchell when he right reminds me of the 2014 Brandon LaFell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back