PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Training Camp Thread - Day 10 (8/7/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm the only one that does like our depth at WR.

You can say there isn't top-level, Pro Bowl talent there but it is deep.

JE
Hogs
Dorsett
Britt
Decker
Patterson

That list you mentioned is what i am hoping we have in the 53 man roster. We need some size on the outside.

Webb is catching people's eyes.

Webb is short (5'9" and a smidge), but weighed in at over 200lbs at his pro day. He has some speed (4.49/40), strength (27 reps), jumps (36" vertical, 122" long jump) and quicks (4.15 shuttle, 7.13 3-cone).

Aside from his lack of height, the big concern I had with him was his lack of ball security. Fix that, and you maybe have a guy who'll be a good Psquad/reserve, BGE type for 2019.

That list you mentioned is what i am hoping we have in the 53 man roster. We need some size on the outside.
Agree. Its not a terrible WR corps.

I'm pulling hard for McCarron to make it. More emotional decision than anything...

Agree. Its not a terrible WR corps.

I'm pulling hard for McCarron to make it. More emotional decision than anything...
I want the young receivers to show enough to to knock out the aging Vets.
For the people who remember we had Torrance small and Charles Johnson on the team and that was the least competitive team we had in the BB era.
That's how Decker and Britt feels to me.
Veterans who are affordable who their best football is behind them.
Did I want them to draft receiver high yes was and am I almost certain we would squander the pick yes.
Do I want us to bring in the Steelers WR scout and pay him GM money yes yes I do.

It’s not like Decker and Britt were good 5 or 10 years ago. We’re talking one and two seasons ago.

There is some gas left in those tanks. It’s more a matter of acclimation, IMO.

I know I’m partially nuts but I like this WR group. An interesting combo of speed, size and quickness. With some great pass catching TEs and RBs.

I just excited myself!

Chad Johnson showed much better NFL ability than Edelman up until the 2011 season and look at how that ended up. Time will only tell whose career will be more productive in this system
So the unique situation is the rule?
Chad Johnson showed much better NFL ability than Edelman up until the 2011 season and look at how that ended up. Time will only tell whose career will be more productive in this system
there is a major difference between possible and likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the people who remember we had Torrance small and Charles Johnson on the team and that was the least competitive team we had in the BB era.
Did I want them to draft receiver high yes was and am I almost certain we would squander the pick yes.
Do I want us to bring in the Steelers WR scout and pay him GM money yes yes I do.

I think the Steelers WR scout (if there is in fact only one, which is unlikely), highly benefits from the style of QB he has there. It's easier to judge physical talent, and when your QB is a scrambling, gunslinging, fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants kind of QB, you're more likely to hit on a pure physical talent.

Not that none of those receivers could also play in a Brady led, more cerebral system (Brown could play anywhere, I imagine), but it just removes that potential pitfall from the equation.

The team that won the SB in 2001 was the least competitive team in the B.B. era?

There are a litany if affordable veterans who gave contributed to this dynasty.

If we drafted WRs early there would be reason to gripe. We don’t. We bring them in from other teams or take them later as long shots and try to develop them.

There is a very good reason for this. We have Tom Brady. Tom Brady makes WRs better. You do not need to spend excessive resources on WRs when you have Tom Brady and he makes whatever you give him work.

EI'm
The team that won the SB in 2001 was the least competitive team in the B.B. era?

If we drafted WRs early there would be reason to gripe. We don’t. We bring them in from other teams or take them later as long shots and try to develop them.

There is a very good reason for this. We have Tom Brady. Tom Brady makes WRs better. You do not need to spend excessive resources on WRs when you have Tom Brady and he makes whatever you give him work.
It was 2000 we brought in Johnson and Small.
I remember because we went 5 and 11

EI'm

It was 2000 we brought in Johnson and Small.
I remember because we went 5 and 11
No it wasn’t. It was 2001. I remember because we won the Super Bowl (and I looked it up)

I don't agree that that's preferable why should Tom have to agree with mediocre talent and hin playing improves it?
We saw what he did when he had Moss and even Deion Branch.
Aside from Welker and Edelman it's almost disrespectful to give him the receiving corps he has had.
I'm hopeful for Patterson and would love Dorsett to reach his potential.
But why can't Tom have talented receivers?
If you talk about the team building In tbe salary cap and being able to skimp at receiver because of Tom?
Their are plenty very good receivers that could be signed or aqquired for reasonable and not elite cap.

I don't agree that that's preferable why should Tom have to agree with mediocre talent and hin playing improves it?
We saw what he did when he had Moss and even Deion Branch.

Not sure I said it’s preferable but it’s what Belichick does.

It’s not up to him to “agree” to his teammates. But what he does do is make them better.
Moss was traded for a 4th. Branch was a second round pick.

Aside from Welker and Edelman it's almost disrespectful to give him the receiving corps he has had.
Look what he has done with it. Your argument proves my point.

I'm hopeful for Patterson and would love Dorsett to reach his potential.
But why can't Tom have talented receivers?
If you talk about the team building In tbe salary cap and being able to skimp at receiver because of Tom?
Their are plenty very good receivers that could be signed or aqquired for reasonable and not elite cap.
It’s clear that Belichick has tried to spend fewer resources on the WR position and clear that it has worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents