PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Training Camp Thread - Day 10 (8/7/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Britt shown anything?? Not really to my knowledge what I'm saying is both McCarron and Berrios have the make up and skill sets that traditionally does well here...you should know that. Britt is a Retread and Decker is a proven and better player than all of them.
Britt has shown 9 years worth of nfl ability. Berrios and McCarron haven’t seen an nfl field.
I’m curious how you judge their “makeup” and that skill set that does well here is production not being short.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
Britt has shown 9 years worth of nfl ability. Berrios and McCarron haven’t seen an nfl field.
I’m curious how you judge their “makeup” and that skill set that does well here is production not being short.
Chad Johnson showed much better NFL ability than Edelman up until the 2011 season and look at how that ended up. Time will only tell whose career will be more productive in this system

If you don't think he's got some strong opinions by now, I don't know what to tell you. They're not necessarily what you or I say, but he definitely has some plans in mind already.

Sure BB "has plans". Since before FA and the Draft, BB, Ernie, Nick, Josh, Brian and others on the coaching staff have been working up offensive and defensive plans and playbooks tailored for the teams the Pats will face in the 2018 regular season - taking into account the players each opponent has (and their tendencies) and the coaches each team has (and THEIR tendencies) - and figuring out the most effective ways to attack each of those teams on offense and to defend against them on defense.

BB and the others have been working to assemble a group of players who, together, will allow the team to successfully implement as many of those specific plans as possible.

However, as with the weekly game plans, nothing is written in stone.

They're still early in the process of evaluating players individually and in different combinations to figure out what group of 53 (or so) will be able to most consistently and successfully execute as much of this season's specific playboks as possible, while building in some redundancies to guard against losing big chunks of those playbooks when, inevitably, a player is injured.

I'm sure that BB and his coaching staff have developed some strong opinions about what aspects of those plans certain individual players are likely to be capable of consistently executing succesfully (and not), and about what certain other players may be closing in on being able to execute while also offering some other value. I'm sure that there are some players that BB and his staff have seen enough of to know that they are unlikely to be able offer nearly as much as others for THIS season.

However, the situation is very likely still fluid, and the big picture for the roster remains unclear. Britt, Decker, Jon Jones and Cy Jones have JUST begun practicing, so their evals, as individuals and in combinations with others (regardless of what they've done in the past), are still very much incomplete.

As fans - at our distance from the field, the meeting rooms and the locker room - we never have more than a superficial understanding of what most of these players are capable of executing from the perspective of the coaches, and we have virtually zero understanding of what BB and his staff are looking for specifically for THIS season.

Huge thing to ask for out of anyone, much less these two guys but if Braxton or Berrios (holy **** it was hard to type Berrios and not Berries) can replace half of what Amendola did in the clutch it'd be a homerun pick

Decker sustained a real serious injury on 2016 up until then he almost had Five over a 1000yds season in a row one just being under 1000. Britt once in his career hitting that mark come on dude...Decker > Britt.

You guys are arguing over these two talking like which one is the better sports car, and the reality is they're both used Kias

Webb is catching people's eyes.

It's going to be worse in Jax for the second game of the season. Good prep for that
I got free tickets a couple of seasons ago to see the Jags open up against the Packers in Week 1. It was over 120 in the lower bowl. The Green Bay fans couldn’t take it and either sat in the tunnel or went to the in-stadium bar to watch it. Saw quite a bit of heat exhaustion too. The EMTs were busy. Luckily for us, that game will be at 4:25 and hopefully a shower or two will blow in before that to cut into that heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye