PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2 things lost in this faux controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukon cornelius

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
1) butler didn't give up on the play and punched it out

2) both butler and harmon clearly knew exactly what happened and both knew the rule.....they adamantly called it even while the TD sign was given

to me that says more about this team then anything else

I bet the scouting report on Butler for other teams tells WRs to finish the play - even in the EZ (remember OBJ).

Was this what Butler was arguing about at the end of the play?

That's real heads up.

It was and Belichick gave him credit for that in his presser. Even stated how Butler adamantly told him on the sidelines when he didn't know it originally.

My concern was that it looked like Butler was making contact with the ref and I was concerned he was getting suspended. Replay showed that the ref stumbled and fell into him at the beginning.

It was and Belichick gave him credit for that in his presser. Even stated how Butler adamantly told him on the sidelines when he didn't know it originally.

My concern was that it looked like Butler was making contact with the ref and I was concerned he was getting suspended. Replay showed that the ref stumbled and fell into him at the beginning.

Butler's football IQ is outstanding - - he had the quick/moment judgement in SB 49 and recognized the play from practice and he had the same, quick sure judgement today. Some guys just have the head for this.

Following up:

Malcolm Butler wasn't confused whatsoever on Jets' costly touchback

“That was an interesting play,” Belichick said in his postgame press conference. “When Malcolm came off the field, first thing he told me was that it was out. I thought they were reviewing whether he was across the goal line or not. But you know Malcolm had a really good look at it. That was the first thing he told me.”

Belichick was asked whether he coaches players to punch the ball at the goal line. “Absolutely,” he said.

Butler said the rule was a “good one.” He then admitted he wouldn’t say the same thing if he was in the Jets locker room.

“I just reached in there and took a chance at the ball, and I seen it juggle. I just told the ref that the ball came loose as he was going over (the end zone line),” Butler said. “He said he was going to review it.”

Last edited:
Not a faux controversy Pats got lucky. They still would have won but lucky there

There is no controversy over the enactment of the rule.

There is controversy because people FEEL the rule is wrong.

there is zero controversy, though......the correct call was made

the outrage is because the Pats won, nothing else
ASJ lost control momentarily just before the goal line and regained possession as he landed on the pilon. Calls like this make the NFL almost unwatchable. Calls like the non call on the PI against Gronk in the first half do as well. But this was bad bad call

ASJ lost control momentarily just before the goal line and regained possession as he landed on the pilon. Calls like this make the NFL almost unwatchable. Calls like the non call on the PI against Gronk in the first half do as well. But this was bad bad call

That doesn't matter. When he fumbled it, he needed to recover it all the way to the ground. He did not. Therefore touchback:

Attachments

• fumble.jpg
    fumble.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 18
How did he not recover it all the way to the ground? Seriously asking.

I can't see how what happened can even be called a fumble. It moved through the air from 1 hand to the other, never hit the ground. Butler dislodged it but the runner got control of it again, then landed on the pylon. Calling it a fumble makes no sense. If a runner were in the open and at the goal line tossed it from 1 hand to the other it would still be a TD.

I can't see how what happened can even be called a fumble. It moved through the air from 1 hand to the other, never hit the ground. Butler dislodged it but the runner got control of it again, then landed on the pylon. Calling it a fumble makes no sense. If a runner were in the open and at the goal line tossed it from 1 hand to the other it would still be a TD.

*sigh*

It doesn't matter that he hit the pylon. When you fumble into the endzone like he did you have to maintain possession of the ball all the way through t0 ground (not to mention land inbounds). He did not. Again, I refer you to page 9 of this thread:

The ASJ Fumble

Very interesting, I thought they were both simply arguing that his knee was down but you can see how emphatic Butler was about it. Didn't he even put his hands on the referee while arguing it?

Good on Malcolm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes