PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stephon Gilmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a good game compared to the first four weeks. He should hopefully build from it.

Someone has not been in the rewatch thread. That is literally the first disected scene and explained scene in there.

Spoiler alert the play was already doomed presnap. Before the play started Gilmore was asking Butler to position himself a few yards deeper and missed a hand sign from Rowe who turned around exactly at that moment to let Gilmore know who in the bunch he is taking.
ROwe was wrong on this play.
Listen to the mayo podcast.
Rowe "is pointed" on Benjamin. Playing the bunch the one rule is the player pointed has that man then the other 2 have to decide to go with their man or play a side.

Credit where credit is due. Overall defense played much better and secondary was the strength. Still lacking in pass rush. I don't like they played so soft in 4th Q but that was clearly the scheme being called to run time and protect lead.

And while we'll get more clarity from full breakdown, there were no obvious blunders from Gilmore. Clearly being assigned just 1 guy for the whole game (who Gilmore claims to have studied every route/snap for last 2 years in these 3 days) allowed Gilmore to shine. I think we might see more pure man coverage assignments for Gilmore and not ask him to adjust much although he may improve. To be fair it's not miles apart from his assignment against Carolina and he got troubled by the WR stacks/bunches and Tampa Bay didn't run much/any but Gilmore can only go up against what the offense does and he responded well.

It was also really nice to see everyone backing Gilmore up in the post-game interviews. Shows it is a tight unit and they like and respect each other and will back them up.

Frankly I am feeling much more positive about this work-in-progress defense. Now Branch and front 7 remain an issue but secondary was already vastly improved with lots of room to build further.

Kudos to Gilmore for a strong bounce back and not getting bogged down with the criticism. I like him more already.
We played a lot of zone. It wasn't Gilmore follow one guy.

ROwe was wrong on this play.
Listen to the mayo podcast.
Rowe "is pointed" on Benjamin. Playing the bunch the one rule is the player pointed has that man then the other 2 have to decide to go with their man or play a side.

Yeah I listened to QuickSlants.. trust me.

My point is that Gilmore was pre-occupied with Butler while Rowe was signaling.

Yeah I listened to QuickSlants.. trust me.

My point is that Gilmore was pre-occupied with Butler while Rowe was signaling.
But that wasn't the problem because Rowe left his man. The only thing we know in the bunch is Benjamin was rowe's

We played a lot of zone. It wasn't Gilmore follow one guy.

I quote Gilmore below on why he did well vs Bucs. Read below. The Patriots might have been in zone but Gilmore wasn't.

Stephon Gilmore: 'I Was Happy' To Be In Man-To-Man Coverage

Playing man-to-man coverage against the Buccaneers’ Mike Evans, Gilmore held the wideout to five catches for just 49 yards and kept him out of the end zone. The cornerback certainly improved in the communication department with the rest of the Patriots secondary, which was a major focus after last weekend’s loss to the Panthers. But he admitted to reporters after the game that he felt much more comfortable just locking down Evans, who was easily the Bucs’ biggest receiving threat.

“I was locked in on the communication. I was following Evans, so that made it a little easier,” said Gilmore. “I got my guy, I’m good.”

Gilmore struggled mightily in the first four games of his Patriots career, especially when tasked with playing zone defense and mixing up his coverage assignments, which led to ugly defensive breakdowns. He credited Thursday night’s performance to the Patriots’ gameplan playing to his strengths as a press-man corner.

“I was happy [to hear I was covering Evans], to get on a guy and follow him everywhere he goes, study just him,” said Gilmore. “So I pretty much knew every route and it was fun.

“I think that’s what gets the best out of me, when I’m following a guy and studying that certain guy.”

I quote Gilmore below on why he did well vs Bucs. Read below. The Patriots might have been in zone but Gilmore wasn't.

Playing man-to-man coverage against the Buccaneers’ Mike Evans, Gilmore held the wideout to five catches for just 49 yards and kept him out of the end zone. The cornerback certainly improved in the communication department with the rest of the Patriots secondary, which was a major focus after last weekend’s loss to the Panthers. But he admitted to reporters after the game that he felt much more comfortable just locking down Evans, who was easily the Bucs’ biggest receiving threat.

“I was locked in on the communication. I was following Evans, so that made it a little easier,” said Gilmore. “I got my guy, I’m good.”

Gilmore struggled mightily in the first four games of his Patriots career, especially when tasked with playing zone defense and mixing up his coverage assignments, which led to ugly defensive breakdowns. He credited Thursday night’s performance to the Patriots’ gameplan playing to his strengths as a press-man corner.

“I was happy [to hear I was covering Evans], to get on a guy and follow him everywhere he goes, study just him,” said Gilmore. “So I pretty much knew every route and it was fun.

“I think that’s what gets the best out of me, when I’m following a guy and studying that certain guy.”
I have no doubt that my impression from watching the game live could be wrong. I saw plays that were zone and they seemed common but there is no way you can track that live unless it's all you are looking for.
If I have a chance to rewatch I will look for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no doubt that my impression from watching the game live could be wrong. I saw plays that were zone and they seemed common but there is no way you can track that live unless it's all you are looking for.
If I gave a chance to rewatch I will look for that.

There were plays in which Gilmore played zone. I'm watching the all 22 now. He handled it well.

Reactions: ALP

I knew my eyes weren't lying.
50% is a lot of zone especially in response to the argument we have a dummy on defense so we can ask him to do anything big cover one man all
day.

Zone Defense is a dying scheme in my opinion If it's used primarily. It gets picked apart in the playoffs by elite QBs

Confession: I actually like Gilmore and hope his play keeps improving.

Please do not attack me over this controversial stance.

To clarify, I hit the"agree" button because I also like Gilmore and hope he continues improving.
But I do NOT agree with your 2nd sentence. I think you should be attacked early and often.

Gilmore's a very good player. His next test will be Julio Jones in a couple of weeks.

The issue I have is he an hit hard but is not disciplined, he relies on hard hits instead of focusing on wrapping up his guy when we need him to make a stop. I hope he improves his tackling. Our secondary gets burned way too often and many due to penalties.

Confession: I actually like Gilmore and hope his play keeps improving.

I like Gilmore too! I loved to watch him run and tackle. I don’t know what it is, but there is a unique gracefulness in his moves.

The first time I saw him was a Tom Curran interview. They were talking about his high-achieving high school team.

(From my memory, not verbatim)
Curran: Looking back, the roster of that team is just ridiculous.
Gilmore: (smiles mildly) Yeah, we had a great team. We felt like we could beat anyone.
Curran: (waits…and waits…) You can drop some names here.
Gilmore: (smiles mildly) Yeah, there were some great players on the team …(long winding sentences)… such as so and so.

I was ROFL, like the dude’s so slow it’s endearing. Now I think I can sort of see why he couldn’t grasp the Patriots defense and had communication issues…Very much hope he will turn it around of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST