PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stephon Gilmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quote Gilmore below on why he did well vs Bucs. Read below. The Patriots might have been in zone but Gilmore wasn't.

Stephon Gilmore: 'I Was Happy' To Be In Man-To-Man Coverage

Playing man-to-man coverage against the Buccaneers’ Mike Evans, Gilmore held the wideout to five catches for just 49 yards and kept him out of the end zone. The cornerback certainly improved in the communication department with the rest of the Patriots secondary, which was a major focus after last weekend’s loss to the Panthers. But he admitted to reporters after the game that he felt much more comfortable just locking down Evans, who was easily the Bucs’ biggest receiving threat.

“I was locked in on the communication. I was following Evans, so that made it a little easier,” said Gilmore. “I got my guy, I’m good.”

Gilmore struggled mightily in the first four games of his Patriots career, especially when tasked with playing zone defense and mixing up his coverage assignments, which led to ugly defensive breakdowns. He credited Thursday night’s performance to the Patriots’ gameplan playing to his strengths as a press-man corner.

“I was happy [to hear I was covering Evans], to get on a guy and follow him everywhere he goes, study just him,” said Gilmore. “So I pretty much knew every route and it was fun.

“I think that’s what gets the best out of me, when I’m following a guy and studying that certain guy.”
Gilmore is Happy?

You know, I couldn’t find it, but wasn’t there an article about how Logan Ryan (the guy Gilmore replaced) quoted as saying he prefers to study just one opponent each week too? Point being, if they fit Ryan in, they can fit in Gilmore that way too.

Gilmore is a very good player. If he were signed for 7-8m there'd be no complaints, but at 15m he should be a top 3 cb. Not his fault though we emptied the wallet.

Mike Evans was not a factor. Repeat that with the best WR on the field every week and he will have proven his value.

You know, I couldn’t find it, but wasn’t there an article about how Logan Ryan (the guy Gilmore replaced) quoted as saying he prefers to study just one opponent each week too? Point being, if they fit Ryan in, they can fit in Gilmore that way too.

This garbage will never end, will it ? Why do people continue saying that ? It is turning slowly into a nice shibboleth to check for fantasy level fans.

Itchy trigger finger eh...I said that Gilmore replaced Ryan...because Ryan left...and Gilmore is here...I’m not anti-Gilmore or anything, just pointing out who left and who arrived, and that if Ryan can work that way and the unit succeeds, as they did, maybe they do that with Gilmore too....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST