PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the "the best is yet to come" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The "best is yet to come" title is appropriate, since, clearly, we haven't seen this team play a full game thus far. Every win has its ugly moments and every loss was excruciatingly painful. This game was no exception. So I guess the good news is that this team is 4-2, leaders in the division and has won its 12th straight road game. The bad news is the offense never looked smooth for a single drive, the defense allowed 5 straight 3rd down conversions in the first half, and once again became the media's biggest question. Alas, it is what it is, and our job is to break it down. So let's get started.

1. Might as well get the elephant in the room out of the way, since it will lead EVERY media discussion of this game for the rest of the week. WTF, happened to the apparent TD that suddenly turned into a Pats' TO, and left us all wondering what happened.

Personally, I cannot fathom the decision. While the TE DID momentarily lose control of the ball, he immediately grabbed it again. It was never really "out" at any time. Not only that, it was ruled a TD on the field, and I never saw a replay that could prove conclusively that he was out of bounds when it was out of his control.

What we have here is a perfect example of the overuse of replay. Having replay was supposed to make sure obvious calls were made right. It wasn't supposed to be a frame by frame rehashing of micro millimeters of data to find the right answer. I can only compare it to the play in the baseball playoffs where they called a guy out who had safely made it back to the base, only to reverse the call when he came off the bag for a microsecond. Something you could only see if you rewatch the play over and over. :rolleyes:

If the play had been ruled a TD, I doubt many here would have been upset with the ruling (if we are being honest). I was much more pissed at the fact that on that PICK play, the guy picking ran right into a defender, much like the 2 OPI calls that went against us. I was on the GDT and was writing a scathing comment about this injustice when the TD was reversed. But this piece of good fortune was balanced by a bunch of calls/non-calls that went the Jets way during this game.

IMHO, this play will be over-analyzed this entire week by a media looking to prove that the Pats are not good this year. It should be of no surprise that Felger named Alberto Riberon (the replay official) HIS player of the game. :rolleyes: BTW- this is a neat game the mediots play. They ratchet up the expectations to a 16-0 level, and then when those expectations aren't reached they start the blame game. :rolleyes: But I've already talked about this topic more than it deserves. I'd rather get on with the football portion of this thread.

2. The OFFENSE -

a. Like I said earlier, this was NOT a sharp game by the offense. What was good was the return of the run game where we had over 120 yds gained and the RB's averaged over just over 5 ypc. I also liked the fact that when the Pats got down 14 points they still ran the ball with regularity. BUT on the other hand, when you have one of the top offenses in the league, going 3 and out on your last 2 drives can cost you games. It is one of the reasons, the defense ended up allowing all those yards. It the offense was truly playing "situational football" the offense should have added at least one more score and taken a lot more time off the clock.

b. My second general offensive thought was that this offense really HAS changed without Julian Edelman. Up to now I have only paid lip service to what people had been talking about for a month now. Whereas before more than half the passes were short underneath throws that were built more for YAC. Now everything seems to be first downs or bust. They averaged almost 13yds/catch today. Usually, the number is closer to 9 or 10. No screen passes today, nor, like last week, did we see much in the way of receiver diversity. Only 4 guys caught 95% of the passes. (one catch by Hogan) Brady usually hits that number of guys midway through the first quarter. So what's up with that.

c. QB- I thought Brady seemed off today and the numbers confirm it. He was just over 50% in his throws, and even on some of his completions, he wasn't completely accurate. Hogan's one catch was a good example. Brady is a guy who loves his practice time. Well, it looks like when he took fewer snaps this week because of his injury, it affected his game. He never seemed sharp to me. Of course, the pass to Cooks that led to the TD was perfect. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

d. OL - I'm sure we will get all the details over the next couple of days, but it looked like the pass protection improved a lot. There were no sacks and only a few hits. In fact, I recall only one big hit (Kony Ealy ironically). There was an improvement in the run game blocking as well. Next week will be a bigger test, but all we can ask for is an upward arc, and that is what we seem to be getting.

e. RB's - NOW we are starting to see the affect Dion Lewis can have in the run game. The problem, of course, is that his snaps have to be monitored or he won't be there when it counts, but it sure is fun watching him play, though I like to see him a bit more involved in the passing game.

Gillislee had the fumble, but came back late in the game and ran for 4.5ypc in limited snaps. White continues to improve as a runner, though of the guys we have, he's the last guy I want carrying the ball. BTW- I'd like to commend ALL the RB's for their excellent pass blocking. A couple of times I saw White and Lewis stoning LB's. Too often we forget how important the RB's are in pass protection.

f. Receivers- again it's a little disturbing to see only 4 guys get most of the catches. Hogan's ribs are going to hurt this week. I wonder if Brady rarely targeted him after his big hit because he didn't want to put him in harm's way again because of the ribs.

It wasn't a drop because it would have been a tough catch, but I've grown accustomed to Amendola making catches like that for big first downs at the end of games. BTW- it was one of Brady's better throws too. If he could have held on, the game would have been over.

Watching Kerley and Anderson make a ton of catches on slant type passes makes me wonder why don't WE have that pass in our arsenal this year. Cooks once again proved his worth with almost 100 receiving yds and making ANOTHER big play, but I have to wonder if the Pats have simply decided that they aren't going to throw the ball to him in traffic in the middle. Are they waiting for a later date to bring those plays out? Definitely something to talk about

BTW- BOTH those OPI's were totally unnecessary. Neither Hogan or Cooks had a reason to hit the defender downfield, especially since their "picks" didn't affect the receiver getting open. It was past obvious and the flags had to be thrown.

4. DEFENSE

a. I think the defense took another step forward today. Even when they were giving up those 2 TD's and 5 straight 3rd down conversions :)eek:), a number of those plays came from superb throws from the D, rather than bad defense. The deep pass that leads to the first TD was almost as good as the Julio Jones/Ryan throw in the Superbowl. Both had the QB on the run and throwing into almost perfect coverage. McCown a few throws like that early in the game.

b. on one hand, I liked that Matty P took a few chances with some creative blitz packages, especial the one with Butler coming off the corner. However, when he did it on the 4th and 16 late in the game, I had to question it. One of the great hallmarks of the Pats defense over the years has been to force the QB to throw underneath and then tackle the receiver before he can get the first down. If it had been 4th and 6 or 7, I would have understood that, but not 4th and 16. It was a perfect down and distance to play a tight zone underneath and force him to throw short.

c. I need someone to please explain the defensive holding call on the DL. IIRC, from time immemorial the defense has had the right to use their hands. I need Bedard, or lukked or someone to explain exactly what our DLmen were doing that got them flagged TWICE. Just another example of an uncommon penalty being called on the Pats.

d. After starting the game allowing the Jets to convert 5 of their first 5 first downs, the Pats ended the game allowing only 4 of 12 3rd down conversions. They also only allowed 3 points in the 2nd half.

e. The formula is simple, lest we forget. TO's make the game so easy......when you get them. The Pats had 3 today and could have had a couple more. To me, the LACK of turnovers has been one of the most disturbing issues this defense has faced. Hopefully getting 3 today is the start of a trend upward in this area.

f. Front 7 - Their best overall game so far. They dominated in the run game. Special kudos to Malcolm Brown who looked Wilkfolk-esque in the middle today, and the rest of DL/LB's need to be mentioned. They also managed 4 sacks, which is another big improvement. Still 2 of the sacks occurred because of great coverage, and McCown showed more "escapeability" than I was hoping to see.

I had thought this might be a big day to get to the QB, because I was lulled into believing that McCown would be a stationary target back there. Instead, McCown turned into their best rusher.

g. Secondary - John Badamosi deserves a ton of credit for the job he did today, especially given the fact he didn't know he was starting until Saturday. He's another pretty big dude on the outside. Just more depth. I expect to see Gilmore back next week, though I doubt we will see Rowe until after the bye.

I saw one of those slant passes where Hightower looked like he was pissed he didn't recognize it sooner. We need the LB's to read routes better and try and jump them on occasion.

Butler had a great game, not only for the pick and causing the GL "fumble", but his overall coverage this game was consistently good. Almost every throw at him was hotly contested. Kind of makes you wonder why they kept throwing at Butler, while giving Badamosi at pass most of the time. :eek:

8 catches for their TE is too many by a half. Granted they were for only 48 yds, but still too many. BTW- on the play that shall be not named, I was pretty pissed that the secondary allowed him to even get that close to the end zone. They all seemed to try and tackle him high and he bulled his way past 3 guys to get near the GL.

5. ST's - The coverage in the kicking game was superb. I don't think the Jets got out to the 20 on any of their KO returns, and the punt coverage was almost as good.

I wonder what causes a FG to slice so suddenly after 25 yds. The first miss of the season for Gotskowski was an odd one. It was like the ball was straight for a while, then abruptly faded 5 yds, before going straight again. If you could make a baseball move like that, you'd be a Cy Young winner every year. ;)

6 - General observations

a. The general commentary about this win by the media and fans will likely be on the negative side. They will talk about the "lucky call", and of course all the passing yds will be mentioned over and over and over again. As far as style points go, the Pats didn't accumulate many....again.

However, when I looked at some of the scores you have to wonder about the REST of the league's problems. How do you think the media and fans of the Broncos, KC, Raiders, Ravens, and Falcons. They not only didn't have any style points, they didn't get the win either. Christ the Falcons were ahead of the punchless Dolphins and blew a 17 point lead. That's not going to play well in Atlanta, especially on Patriots week. OUCH

The point here is AGAIN, it is hard to win in this league, and if you think your team had a bad day, just look around you. There are a LOT of teams that had it worse.....a lot worse. How is Denver going to explain a loss to the Giants or KC suddenly becoming punchless against the Steelers at home with just one first down the entire first half.

BTW- this was a great win for the Steelers, but Rothlessburger still had one pick and should have had another on the game-winning TD, when the ball went through the DB's hands, hit OFF his helmet, and bounced into the waiting hands of AB who ran 30 yds for the score. If you see one highlight this week, you got to see that one. Horrible throw by Ben.

b. Atlanta will surely be on a mission this week. Not only do they have the superbowl on their mind, this collapse against Miami will be further fuel for them. The Pats better be ready for the Falcons best shot. BTW- without actually seeing the game, when you look at the stats of this game, it is hard to figure out how the Phins won.

"Personally, I cannot fathom the decision. While the TE DID momentarily lose control of the ball, he immediately grabbed it again. It was never really "out" at any time. Not only that, it was ruled a TD on the field, and I never saw a replay that could prove conclusively that he was out of bounds when it was out of his control."

Go to the last pages of the relevant threads. Watch the gifs of the play. Once the ball is fumbled through the endzone, by rule, the player must recover it inbouds and all the way to the ground. He did not do either of those things.

The ASJ Fumble

Also, that "conclusive evidence" thing only applies to coaches challenges. This was a booth review where the entire play is looked at.

Nice write up. We won a division game on the road. That's big.

A few things to comment on.

1) the refs had a bad day. The 2 defensive holding calls on our d-line? If we were Jets fans (thank the lord we are not) we'd have a tough time swallowing the fumble call. While the right call was probably made it does have to be indisputable to overturn the call on the field. At the end of the day the Jets fans can cry, I don't care. We got robbed in the Panthers game. Things even out over the course of the season.

2) Butler had a shaky start but came on. On 3rd and longs in the 1st qtr why was he giving a 10 yd cushion to a jag WR? I wonder if it was him or Patricia.

3) It was tough to tell on the TV some of the coverages the Jets were running. We've seen a lot of teams in the last few years try to clog the middle of the field which leaves 1 on 1 coverage down field. May be why Brady was taking so many shots. The right read would be to go to Gronk, Hogan, Cooks down field in single coverage if they were taking away the short stuff. If someone watches the all 22 it would be nice to shed some light on it.

"No screen passes today, nor, like last week, did we see much in the way of receiver diversity."

The Patriots threw a couple of screens. One that sticks out to me was to Cooks for a short gain. I love your weekly posts but lets get the facts straight.

Last edited:
"No screen passes today, nor, like last week, did we see much in the way of receiver diversity."

The Patriots threw a couple of screens. One that sticks out to me was to Cooks for a short gain. I love your weekly posts but lets get the facts straight.

one should expect a little confirmation bias when talking about the relative paucity of usually prevalent play calls...just sayin'..

The "best is yet to come" title is appropriate, since, clearly, we haven't seen this team play a full game thus far.

Personally, I cannot fathom the decision.

What we have here is a perfect example of the overuse of replay. Having replay was supposed to make sure obvious calls were made right. It wasn't supposed to be a frame by frame rehashing of micro millimeters of data to find the right answer.

I can only compare it to the play in the baseball playoffs where they called a guy the call when he came off the bag for a microsecond. Something you could only see if you rewatch the play over and over. . . .

4. DEFENSE

c. I need someone to please explain the defensive holding call on the DL. IIRC, from time immemorial the defense has had the right to use their hands. I need Bedard, or lukked or someone to explain exactly what our DLmen were doing that got them flagged TWICE. Just another example of an uncommon penalty being called on the Pats.
. . .

I wonder what causes a FG to slice so suddenly after 25 yds. The first miss of the season for Gotskowski was an odd one. It was like the ball was straight for a while, then abruptly faded 5 yds, before going straight again. If you could make a baseball move like that, you'd be a Cy Young winner every year. ;)
. .
Touchback:
Not sure what not to fathom. I can understand a personal preference to let it go, but I personally would like to see as much technical consistency as possible.

TOUCHBACK was covered to exhaustion in the postgame thread. Corrente' s Quote in particular. The obvious lack of control when he broke the plane THAT was NOT VIEWABLE by the angle of guy who called TD seemed to drive the decision that giving deference to call on field shouldn't apply, because call on the field was blind.

As one poster said, the Watson-Denver touchback that was never called is much more unfathomable. The only part that is unfathomable to me is that WE GOT THE technically correct CALL while playing vs the ommisioner's pets at home.

4c. Where are those mediots in the BB postgame when you need them???
Course, if he violently disagreed, all you would get is: "you will have to ask the league guys who are smarter than me about that." But if there was some semblance of reason to it, bb would have given a great a 10 minute dissertation.

Missed FG:
I thought I saw one defender get a grazing fingertip on the kick. Could explain it. Adds just enough different spin that takes a ways before it turns into catastrophic wobble.

I think all has been said about the overturned TD and while I was initially in the camp of people who thought it was technically the right call but shouldnt have been reversed due to missing video evidence I am not pretty certain that the refs actually nailed both aspects given how sure Corrente was in his post game pool report about the ball being out a second time when ASJ hit the ground. No more about that.

I need Bedard, or lukked or someone to explain exactly what our DLmen were doing that got them flagged TWICE.

We will definitely look at that in the weekly rewatch thread and I am very curious what Chatham will say about it in his in depth game review. It is a bit confusing to get that many holding calls during run plays on defense.

Watching Kerley and Anderson make a ton of catches on slant type passes makes me wonder why don't WE have that pass in our arsenal this year.

We do have it but those attempts are somewhat cursed this season. It is either Cooks dropping the ball, getting shoestring tackled or some kind of unnecessary PI happens. Chatham has been speculating that in addition to using Cooks deep the coaching staff wants to set up plays for him where he can be used AB/OBJ-esque on slants and use his acceleration and speed for big gains. So far most of them failed because of the aforementioned issues. Once they get that right it will be another big addition to our playcalls.

John Badamosi deserves a ton of credit for the job he did today, especially given the fact he didn't know he was starting until Saturday. He's another pretty big dude on the outside. Just more depth. I expect to see Gilmore back next week, though I doubt we will see Rowe until after the bye.

I think I said it after the Texans game but Bademosi is one of those vintage BB signings that fly under the radar but are actually amazing value. His great on ST and was good as depth CB option. Great signing.

8 catches for their TE is too many by a half. Granted they were for only 48 yds, but still too many. BTW- on the play that shall be not named, I was pretty pissed that the secondary allowed him to even get that close to the end zone. They all seemed to try and tackle him high and he bulled his way past 3 guys to get near the GL.

True but then again this ignores the blatant pick play that went uncalled and made it so difficult to get to ASJ in time. It should have been a flag but we got the ball back instead so whatever.

The point here is AGAIN, it is hard to win in this league, and if you think your team had a bad day, just look around you.

The only things in the regular season that is of importance are wins and avoiding/minimizing injuries. Period.

The holding on the DLine call seems to be more common this season than previous. I wonder if it’s one of them things they are looking at more now. Normally it is called if an OLman is trying to pull and can’t or he is being held to allow a blitz through that gap. Sadly I didn’t watch the game with sound as I was watching the green bay game with a friend would be interesting to see the calls again.

wonder if the Pats have simply decided that they aren't going to throw the ball to him in traffic in the middle

I dont have data to back this up, but it seems that the majority of his drops are in/near traffic over the middle. He doesn't seem like one of the WRs that is either completely unafraid of contact and/or has learned "how to get down" immediately when appropriate.

Kind of makes you wonder why they kept throwing at Butler, while giving Badamosi at pass most of the time

I haven't seen any All-22 or coaches coverage, but willing to bet majority of coverages shaded or simply had safety help for Bademosi a lot meaning one on one vs Butler.

Great well thought out post as we have come accustomed to..

My view might be sacrilegious, but am not enjoying most of these games so far.. the continual receiver being wide open down field makes me yell at the television..

Thought it was great that we had 0 penalties in the first half, but then had 6 in the second half.. is that an improvement??

354 passing yards for McCown, wtf is that about??

The Pats won the TO battle, 3 to 2....

From my comfy couch Brady seems detached and does not have his accustomed "fire" we are used to, think the play calling lacks imagination and Brady is trying to make some very difficult throws.. IMO the loss of Edelman has really thrown him off. There are weapons in the passing game we are not using: Hollister, Dwayne Allen, Dion Lewis and others to mention a few.. it seems our offense is easier for the opposing teams to defense. Are we relying too much of talent and not enough on creativity..

I dont have data to back this up, but it seems that the majority of his drops are in/near traffic over the middle. He doesn't seem like one of the WRs that is either completely unafraid of contact and/or has learned "how to get down" immediately when appropriate.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Cook's drops seem to occur early in games. Someone throw him some passes before kickoff :)
Regarding the "decision"....I'd love to read the banter here if the shoe was on the other foot. I'm in the "Jets got screwed" camp. But since the final score favored my team....I will now embrace the "we're on to next week" mode and not look back at ancient history

PS...Two weeks in a row NE has had the lead in the 4th and their offense can't get first downs to keep the opponent's offense off the field. Contrast this to 2004 when Clock Killin Corey Dillon and the stout NE OL would take over the 4th quarter with the lead and never give the ball back. The greatest Pats team ever

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but Cook's drops seem to occur early in games.

Again, data-less conjecture on my part, but would agree - he improves and gets "hotter" throughout the game.

BTW- this was a great win for the Steelers, but Rothlessburger still had one pick and should have had another on the game-winning TD, when the ball went through the DB's hands, hit OFF his helmet, and bounced into the waiting hands of AB who ran 30 yds for the score. If you see one highlight this week, you got to see that one. Horrible throw by Ben.

Looking at this pass...it should have been picked off. And it would have been Ben's 7th INT in 2 games. That's why the NFL is so unpredictable.

The first offensive series by the Jets had plenty of good things to see, unless the Jets were going for a 3rd down. I was optimistic that they would pull it together (though the 2nd series almost made me question my original thoughts).

Agree about the run D and was shocked when I heard the Jets were averaging 3yds per carry. Guess it was the critical situations where our D was stuffing them/ Good stuff to build from as we get deeper into the season.

The offense did get into a little bit of a rhythm, but it didn't last too long. Lot's of seeing Lewis running up the middle and would like to see him getting so passes in space too. Baby steps, I suppose. Also enjoyed seeing him and White in the backfield together and will be interested to see if the offense adds more wrinkles from this set going forward.

Nice post. I'll tag onto yours again.

1. The Patriots came out flat. Perhaps if you want to you can say it was the Jets who came out with too much emotion and faded but either way does anybody doubt Atlanta is going to come out the same way? This team always comes out business like but this week felt different. I'd like to see them develop some urgency and not end up with it because the other team is out playing them.

2. The OL played better but a lot of that success was two RBs starting to help chip. I don't care as long as it works and I cannot help but lament Josh not doing the same in the two Giants SBs when I was begging him to yelling at the screen. I think that's going to be a staple going forward to allow Cooks, Hogan and Gronk to stretch the field and then dump offs after chips as well.

3. DL likewise played a better game.

4. I know every team struggles against mobile QBs who take off but damn can we please tackle them once in awhile.

5. Butler gets beat a lot. Seems to guess too much. That said you have to love his compete level and football smarts. Even when he's beat he'll tear the ball out on teh way to the ground so often.

6. Atlanta coming in here are going to be motivated. I think they overlooked Miami looking to this game. They cannot get way behind again. They don't have the tools to pick them apart and wear them down. They need more than Blount gave them in the SB and Gillislee cannot fumble. They'll be going for it after that weak fumble yesterday.

7. Gilmore needs to play and play well against Jones.

8. Ryan has 6 TDS and 6 picks. . Hopefully they can add to that latter total.

Regarding the call, it's been explained several times, but not very well. Let me have a go.

1. The call on the field was a TD.
2. The review showed clearly that the ball was not in possession of the receiver when he crossed the goalline.

AT THIS POINT, THE TD IS NO LONGER. IT IS DEAD. IT HAS CEASED TO BE. IT'S EXPIRED AND GONE TO MEET ITS MAKER. IT'S A STIFF. BEREFT OF LIFE. IT RESTS IN PEACE. ITS OFF ITS TWIG. ITS KICKED THE BUCKET. ITS SHUFFLED OFF ITS MORTAL COIL. ITS RUN DOWN THE CURTAIN AND JOINED THE BLEEDIN' CHOIR INVISIBLE. IT'S AN EX-TOUCHDOWN.

3. We now restart the play with the ball in nobody's possession in the end zone. Someone has to recover it clearly and indisputably in order to change this situation. Nobody did.

4. Therefore the call is that the ball was in the receiver's possession, but was fumbled into and out of the End Zone, touchback.

4. Therefore the call is that the ball was in the receiver's possession, but was fumbled into and out of the End Zone, touchback.

:)

Folks may not like the rule, but it is that simple. The ball was fumbled. At that point, it is anyone's ball. No one had possession as the ball crossed the plane. BY RULE, it is a touchback.

1. Might as well get the elephant in the room out of the way, since it will lead EVERY media discussion of this game for the rest of the week. WTF, happened to the apparent TD that suddenly turned into a Pats' TO, and left us all wondering what happened.

Personally, I cannot fathom the decision. While the TE DID momentarily lose control of the ball, he immediately grabbed it again. It was never really "out" at any time. Not only that, it was ruled a TD on the field, and I never saw a replay that could prove conclusively that he was out of bounds when it was out of his control.

This should put your mind at ease.

N1Q7MZZ.jpg

ASJ clearly loses possession of the football before it crosses the goal line in this picture. Neither his hands nor his arms have control. Now because he lost possession of the football, he needs to regain control AND complete re-possession all the way to the ground before going out of bounds. Neither of those happens and he lands out of bounds with the football. As the refs say -- it was an obvious boom, boom, boom call once they got the right angle shot of the play.

b. My second general offensive thought was that this offense really HAS changed without Julian Edelman. Up to now I have only paid lip service to what people had been talking about for a month now. Whereas before more than half the passes were short underneath throws that were built more for YAC. Now everything seems to be first downs or bust. They averaged almost 13yds/catch today. Usually, the number is closer to 9 or 10. No screen passes today, nor, like last week, did we see much in the way of receiver diversity. Only 4 guys caught 95% of the passes. (one catch by Hogan) Brady usually hits that number of guys midway through the first quarter. So what's up with that.

Edelman will really be missed, the little guy used to be the little engine that could on big 3rd downs with his clutch catches over the middle. Brady is taking more shots outside now and it has more to do with the composition of the receiving corps. Cooks is an outside speedster and clearly Brady does not want to see his best receiver get his bell rung passing the ball inside when he has so much more value stretching the defense. Dorsett is another speedster. And Hogan has shown us the ability to make big plays down the field. It's a lineup more built for taking shots down the field. Amendola makes some clutch plays for us now and then but we can see he's no Edelman.

e. RB's - NOW we are starting to see the affect Dion Lewis can have in the run game. The problem, of course, is that his snaps have to be monitored or he won't be there when it counts, but it sure is fun watching him play, though I like to see him a bit more involved in the passing game.

I am always entertained when watching Dion Lewis with the football. Per touch, Lewis is probably the most dangerous RB we have with the ball in his hands. As long as he stays healthy *knock on wood* he will be perplexing defenses for many weeks to come. So glad we didn't trade him as rumored during the preseason.

g. Secondary - John Badamosi deserves a ton of credit for the job he did today, especially given the fact he didn't know he was starting until Saturday. He's another pretty big dude on the outside. Just more depth. I expect to see Gilmore back next week, though I doubt we will see Rowe until after the bye.

I saw one of those slant passes where Hightower looked like he was pissed he didn't recognize it sooner. We need the LB's to read routes better and try and jump them on occasion.

Butler had a great game, not only for the pick and causing the GL "fumble", but his overall coverage this game was consistently good. Almost every throw at him was hotly contested. Kind of makes you wonder why they kept throwing at Butler, while giving Badamosi at pass most of the time. :eek:

The secondary play was very frustrating at times, allowing far too many big 3rd down conversions by the Jets but they came up big when it counted. Overall I have hope that this group will continue to improve. Certainly Butler's outstanding on-ball play was a bright spot. His ball rip on ASJ just before the goal line really helped us out a lot at a point when the game was still in doubt.

b. Atlanta will surely be on a mission this week. Not only do they have the superbowl on their mind, this collapse against Miami will be further fuel for them. The Pats better be ready for the Falcons best shot. BTW- without actually seeing the game, when you look at the stats of this game, it is hard to figure out how the Phins won.

Of course the Falcons will give us their best shot. They still want revenge for their loss in the Superbowl, you know? The most famous comeback game in NFL history that went into OT for the first time ever? :) I have faith for our boys to be ready. It has been a bumpy road but 4-2 at this point in the season is a great position to be in. This team has yet to fully gel, but each unit has the chance to improve, and at least we will be at home against Atlanta. Really looking forward to the hype and the actual rematch game!!

Thanks again as usual for your Idle Thoughts thread, PFK. Really helps us all to digest the game and reflect with our own thoughts as well! My main take away is that this team is by no means a finished product. I'm still worried about our pass rush and our secondary and defense overall. But maybe the talent is in place after all, they just need to play together better and execute better for a full 60 minutes. I'd love to see that kind of complete effort come together against the Falcons in Foxboro!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye