PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the "the best is yet to come" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will definitely look at that in the weekly rewatch thread and I am very curious what Chatham will say about it in his in depth game review. It is a bit confusing to get that many holding calls during run plays on defense.
Well just make sure you do, and send me the link (or put it here or in the re-watch thread, which btw, is my 2nd favorite thread after games. ;) )

We do have it but those attempts are somewhat cursed this season. It is either Cooks dropping the ball, getting shoestring tackled or some kind of unnecessary PI happens. Chatham has been speculating that in addition to using Cooks deep the coaching staff wants to set up plays for him where he can be used AB/OBJ-esque on slants and use his acceleration and speed for big gains. So far most of them failed because of the aforementioned issues. Once they get that right it will be another big addition to our play calls.
If not Cooks then Hogan. He is big enough to weather the storm that comes from running slant passes. Though I would like to see Cooks more involved in the short game. For this reason.

There is route that Welker ran that I wish the Pats ran more often for Edelman. The route featured Welker doing one of his usual short crossers, when he suddenly plants and hits the seam deep. If it could get Welker deep, think about what it would do for Cooks. But he would have to run some of those crossers first to gain credibility. Slant and go. THAT's the ticket.

I think I said it after the Texans game but Bademosi is one of those vintage BB signings that fly under the radar but are actually amazing value. His great on ST and was good as depth CB option. Great signing.

I think Bademosi is a function of BB's realization that "size matters" in today's NFL. And a big bodied CB can be effective IF you understand what his weaknesses are and compensate. Like we did with OTIS, Browner, and now Bademosi. BTW- it was very odd that the Jets targetted Butler 10 times and Bademosi only TWICE. :eek: I know they probably liked the size match up there but somehow I thought we got away with one there.

The only things in the regular season that is of importance are wins and avoiding/minimizing injuries. Period.
Amen, brother, AMEN

Great well thought out post as we have come accustomed to..

My view might be sacrilegious, but am not enjoying most of these games so far.. the continual receiver being wide open down field makes me yell at the television..

Thought it was great that we had 0 penalties in the first half, but then had 6 in the second half.. is that an improvement??

354 passing yards for McCown, wtf is that about??

The Pats won the TO battle, 3 to 2....

From my comfy couch Brady seems detached and does not have his accustomed "fire" we are used to, think the play calling lacks imagination and Brady is trying to make some very difficult throws.. IMO the loss of Edelman has really thrown him off. There are weapons in the passing game we are not using: Hollister, Dwayne Allen, Dion Lewis and others to mention a few.. it seems our offense is easier for the opposing teams to defense. Are we relying too much of talent and not enough on creativity..
Like Bill said today, it takes a long time for a team to reach their potential, and we aren't even halfway through the season. I think this offense is still struggling to find its own identity without JE. Right now it isn't great, but it isn't bad either. Once again, we need to show a little patience

"No screen passes today, nor, like last week, did we see much in the way of receiver diversity."

The Patriots threw a couple of screens. One that sticks out to me was to Cooks for a short gain. I love your weekly posts but lets get the facts straight.

A bit harsh imo unless that was meant jokingly. The guy puts together a full game review in a short window for us to devour and discuss. It can't be easy.

I see the blatant OPIs rightly called on Hogan and Cooks as being on the WR coaching staff. Fix this.

Yep. The Hogan one was really bad. He ran straight at the defender and even changed direction to make sure he ran straight into the defender. Not a shred of pretense of running an actual route.

The Cooks one was a little better, but still about as subtle as gold, flashing fishnet stockings. Didn't pass the laugh test.

Yep. The Hogan one was really bad. He ran straight at the defender and even changed direction to make sure he ran straight into the defender. Not a shred of pretense of running an actual route.

The Cooks one was a little better, but still about as subtle as gold, flashing fishnet stockings. Didn't pass the laugh test.

In past years I lamented tacky-tack screening calls on Pats receivers, as most teams do something like this, but well disguised.
Those guys seriously need to be coached out of this behavior.

Like Bill said today, it takes a long time for a team to reach their potential, and we aren't even halfway through the season. I think this offense is still struggling to find its own identity without JE. Right now it isn't great, but it isn't bad either. Once again, we need to show a little patience

I am patient, just do not understand why Lewis, Allen et al are not viable options in the passing game.. it would seem to be easier for the opposing defense if they only had to worry about 5 guys who can catch the ball instead of 8.

Once again this is sacrilegious, but Brady is not picking up the short stuff as well as he has in the past..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes