PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WAY TOO EARLY Predict the Patriot’s Recievers for 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dorsett deserved more playing time over Hogan last year, being always covered like he was.

While i couldn't re-watch games last year,i felt like i saw Phillip more open than Brady gave credit for...

While Gordon and possibly Thomas sit, and i think they'll start off out of the roster, Im hoping Dorsett surprise a lot of folks

Bruh....that’s exactly what I said, right??? I’m taking ALL (6) of the WRs I mentioned over CLE’s. Straight face n’ all. You’re lucky there isn’t a straight face emoji on here, or I’d really do you in :D

Bruh, look at your history of WR corps and tell me how many catches the 5th and 6th (even the 4th) WRs on the depth chart get in a season. Hint: you're moving into irrelevancy.

I don't feel "done in."

Curious if you have watched any of his film from last season or just basing your opinion off of stats because imo he is definitely a better than average pass catching TE. He started last season low on the depth chart and moved up because of injuries ( including Sanders) and made the best of it. Most of his targets came in the second half of the season and getting the most during the last two weeks.

I can't comment on his blocking ability because I haven't watched for that yet although I've read multiple times that it his weakness.

Reminds me of Kelce.

Sounds like what they wanted Hollister to become.

Sigh. No, I did not just write that. I said we lost one of our two elite receiving threats in Gronk. The other one is Edelman.

We also lost Hogan, he was serviceable.

I think we possibly will have less production from this unit this year as opposed to last year unless either Harry is a hit, or Gordon or Thomas can play and play well. Probably need two of those three to happen to have a better unit this year.

And ya, you minimized the loss of these two players. If they aren’t that important they would be easy to replace, no?

Wow. In the SB Edelman and Gronkowski combined for 16 of the 21 receptions and 228 of the 262 yards the team got. (Of course Hogan did get the goose egg in that game lol.). Don’t you think they need more producers in this unit, especially with Gronk gone?

Hogan was terrible, washed. Gronk was serviceable, not an elite receiving threat. The Patriots played their final 6 games without Gordon with 5 being gameplanned without him and they won them all scoring a ton of points.

RB will offset TE. TEs might only have 500 yards but I also wouldn't rule out the same production as last year which wasn't all that great from the TE group. Our RBs should catch more balls than they did last year.

Just like with Michel last year, the expectation is that Harry is a significant piece to the puzzle and a dude from day 1.

Even with that we have more 2018 receiving production on the 2019 roster than we had prior to last season.

And even with all of that, I wouldn't rule out a WR aquisition at all after hearing about a possible Gordon suspension.

Hogan was terrible, washed. Gronk was serviceable, not an elite receiving threat. The Patriots played their final 6 games without Gordon with 5 being gameplanned without him and they won them all scoring a ton of points.

RB will offset TE. TEs might only have 500 yards but I also wouldn't rule out the same production as last year which wasn't all that great from the TE group. Our RBs should catch more balls than they did last year.

Just like with Michel last year, the expectation is that Harry is a significant piece to the puzzle and a dude from day 1.

Even with that we have more 2018 receiving production on the 2019 roster than we had prior to last season.

And even with all of that, I wouldn't rule out a WR aquisition at all after hearing about a possible Gordon suspension.
What possible Gordon suspension? He's already suspended indefinitely.

What possible Gordon suspension? He's already suspended indefinitely.

Those are 2 different things. We still don't know when and if he will play in 2019. The final word on that has not been spoken yet. And as long as this is the case we will stand pat regarding WR acquisitions.

Curious if you have watched any of his film from last season or just basing your opinion off of stats because imo he is definitely a better than average pass catching TE. He started last season low on the depth chart and moved up because of injuries ( including Sanders) and made the best of it. Most of his targets came in the second half of the season and getting the most during the last two weeks.

I can't comment on his blocking ability because I haven't watched for that yet although I've read multiple times that it his weakness.

Reminds me of Kelce.
Both. I saw some of his games and on a team that lacked weapons his production was weak.
Not sure how you compare him to kelce.
Even if you count his last 5 games only he produced 13/113. His best game of his career is 44 receiving yards. It’s really a case of an opportunity proving he isn’t very good.
He didn’t have good production in college and as was brought out in this thread he is by absolutely no means a WR.

Here's mine:

The LOCKS: Julian Edelman, N'Keal Harry, Josh Gordon (Suspended), and Matthew Slater (I don't care, he counts as a WR when we build the roster).

Highly likey to make the club: Philip Dorsett & Demaryius Thomas (if he's 100% I like his chances).

Guys competing for Josh Gordon's spot: Dontrelle Inman, Maurice Harris, and Braxton Berrios

Not likely to make the club: Jakobi Meyers, Ryan Davis, Damoun Patterson, and Gunner Olszewski (might make it as a ST/CB...but we are stacked at CB).

Summary: We are going with 6 WR's...including Slater. So, ASSUMING everyone is 100% and not suspended...my top 6 are: Edelman, Harry, Gordon, Dorsett, Thomas, and Slater. Although, I could see Inman/Harris/Berrios pushing Dorsett/Thomas off the roster if they do well in camp ...but Inman/Harris/Doresett/Thomas don't play ST's.......so that is a leg up for Berrios to make the club.
Surprised this exercise has gone 6 pages. There are only so many combinations to choose.

I've only read one page, so forgive me if this is redundant, though after reading the first page it HAS to be...to some degree. ;)

I think the answer is pretty obvious. Gordon and Thomas aren't going to be factors for at LEAST the first month of the season so they shouldn't be part of the conversation until they are in shape to show up.

Given the TE situation the Plas are likely to go with 5 WR's plus Slater That leaves Edelman, Harry, Dorsett, Inman as your 4 sure bets, and Harris, Berrios fighting it out for the 5th shot with everyone else pretty much trying to impress enough to either make the PS or have someone pick them up on waivers.

Bedard doesn't think Berrios has done anything to stand out since he's been here. You would think that a guy who wants to be the guy who replaces Jules in the slot would have more obvious explosiveness. So unless he shines on ST's, I don't see him on the final 53 short of injuries.

Harris is the guy I see right now being the 5th guy. With all their WR moves this off season the Pats have been telling us that "size DOES matter" That's why I think HE has the edge.

Of course, injuries could change everything, but I have a feeling that of Gordon and Thomas, only one will end up playing for the Pats this season.

Both. I saw some of his games and on a team that lacked weapons his production was weak.
Not sure how you compare him to kelce.
Even if you count his last 5 games only he produced 13/113. His best game of his career is 44 receiving yards. It’s really a case of an opportunity proving he isn’t very good.
He didn’t have good production in college and as was brought out in this thread he is by absolutely no means a WR.
Strange that BB would give him a 2 year deal. What could he possibly see in the guy?

Strange that BB would give him a 2 year deal. What could he possibly see in the guy?
Not strange at all. He is competing to make the team. Special teams player, backup TE.
500k of guaranteed money doesn’t imply he is Travis Kelce.

Surprised this exercise has gone 6 pages. There are only so many combinations to choose.

I've only read one page, so forgive me if this is redundant, though after reading the first page it HAS to be...to some degree. ;)

I think the answer is pretty obvious. Gordon and Thomas aren't going to be factors for at LEAST the first month of the season so they shouldn't be part of the conversation until they are in shape to show up.

Given the TE situation the Plas are likely to go with 5 WR's plus Slater That leaves Edelman, Harry, Dorsett, Inman as your 4 sure bets, and Harris, Berrios fighting it out for the 5th shot with everyone else pretty much trying to impress enough to either make the PS or have someone pick them up on waivers.

Bedard doesn't think Berrios has done anything to stand out since he's been here. You would think that a guy who wants to be the guy who replaces Jules in the slot would have more obvious explosiveness. So unless he shines on ST's, I don't see him on the final 53 short of injuries.

Harris is the guy I see right now being the 5th guy. With all their WR moves this off season the Pats have been telling us that "size DOES matter" That's why I think HE has the edge.

Of course, injuries could change everything, but I have a feeling that of Gordon and Thomas, only one will end up playing for the Pats this season.
Good post. I am not ruling Thomas out.
Just remember size mattering at WR1,2,3 doesn’t necessarily mean it matters at wr5. Special teams might be the determinant for a wr5 especially if Thomas and Gordon can’t start the year but are expected back.

Not strange at all. He is competing to make the team. Special teams player, backup TE.
500k of guaranteed money doesn’t imply he is Travis Kelce.
I didn’t say Kelce. I posted because you said, proving he isn’t very good.

Those are 2 different things. We still don't know when and if he will play in 2019. The final word on that has not been spoken yet. And as long as this is the case we will stand pat regarding WR acquisitions.
Ah ok. Gotcha

I didn’t say Kelce. I posted because you said, proving he isn’t very good.
Indicating would have been a better word than proving.

Indicating would have been a better word than proving.
Yup. I’m hoping that the QB in NE will help him be better than the results in Denver indicated.

For me, I have no interest in free agency WR acquisitions unless one of these four are injured: Edelman, Harry, Inman and Dorsett. With regard to Thomas and Gordon, either they are here or they are not. I have 4 WR's on the 53 without them. If and when either is available and ready, Belichick can choose who to cut if anyone, but for me, it won't be a WR. After all, they can be unavailable just as fast. We need 4 WR receivers not named Thomas or Gordon.

For me, I have no interest in free agency WR acquisitions unless one of these four are injured: Edelman, Harry, Inman and Dorsett. With regard to Thomas and Gordon, either they are here or they are not. I have 4 WR's on the 53 without them. If and when either is available and ready, Belichick can choose who to cut if anyone, but for me, it won't be a WR. After all, they can be unavailable just as fast. We need 4 WR receivers not named Thomas or Gordon.

You don’t think they can find a better WR than Inman between now and the beginning of the season?

Dorsett deserved more playing time over Hogan last year, being always covered like he was.

While i couldn't re-watch games last year,i felt like i saw Phillip more open than Brady gave credit for...

While Gordon and possibly Thomas sit, and i think they'll start off out of the roster, Im hoping Dorsett surprise a lot of folks

Scored td’s in both the afcdg and afccg, it was puzzling to me how he got zero targets in the sb while a clearly overmatched hogan got 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back