Slow Your Roll on the Patriots WRs… There's a Long Way to Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

Steve Balestrieri

Having Edelman, Gordon, Harry, Thomas, Phillip Dorsett, Jakobi Meyers, et al at the position is certainly cause for optimism, and if it were 2012

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I see little point in being a "debbie downer" as Steve says. And, no, I don't think we have a long way to go, except in the normal Patriots Way. We never know what we have until at least the half way point of the season.

We have 6 WR's that form a solid corp. Obviously, we could lose Gordon at any time. Also, rookies rarely do much. Even without a lot from those three, we still have Edelman, Thomas and Dorsett, plenty for Brady to work with.

To put it another way, we usually don't get much (but some) from our #4, #5 and #6 WR over the course of the season. We certainly have the potential for more from Gordon, Harry and Myers.

As an aside, we have the possibility of Meredith coming back in the second half (not likely, but possible). We also could keep Harris on the 53 for a day and then put him on in-season IR, just in case we need him later in the season.

For me, I like the WR position more than any group since 2007.

Steve Balestrieri

Having Edelman, Gordon, Harry, Thomas, Phillip Dorsett, Jakobi Meyers, et al at the position is certainly cause for optimism, and if it were 2012

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I see little point in being a "debbie downer" as Steve says. And, no, I don't think we have a long way to go, except in the normal Patriots Way. We never know what we have until at least the half way point of the season.

We have 6 WR's that form a solid corp. Obviously, we could lose Gordon at any time. Also, rookies rarely do much. Even without a lot from those three, we still have Edelman, Thomas and Dorsett, plenty for Brady to work with.

To put it another way, we usually don't get much (but some) from our #4, #5 and #6 WR over the course of the season. We certainly have the potential for more from Gordon, Harry and Myers.

As an aside, we have the possibility of Meredith coming back in the second half (not likely, but possible). We also could keep Harris on the 53 for a day and then put him on in-season IR, just in case we need him later in the season.

I would take 2017 over this group. Amendola, Cooks, Hogan, and Dorsett.

Steve is realistic. Some won't like it.

I would take 2017 over this group. Amendola, Cooks, Hogan, and Dorsett.

Wow, really? I would expect Edelman to be better than Amendola of '17, Dorsett to be better than Dorsett of '17, and one of Thomas, Harry and Meyers to outplay Hogan. So the only way for '17 to come out ahead is for Cooks to be in a different stratosphere than Gordon (aand/or the next of the Thomas/Harry/Meyers group).

Wow, really? I would expect Edelman to be better than Amendola of '17, Dorsett to be better than Dorsett of '17, and one of Thomas, Harry and Meyers to outplay Hogan. So the only way for '17 to come out ahead is for Cooks to be in a different stratosphere than Gordon (aand/or the next of the Thomas/Harry/Meyers group).
I'll take the known over the unknown. We knew what Amendola was, a solid role player who would get banged up if used too much. Cooks already had 2 1100 yard seasons under his belt and Hogan was another solid number 3 option. This group as the potential to blow that group away but one slip up from Gordon he's gone, Harry is a rookie who may still have steep learning curve and Dorsett is what he is at this point. The other rookies are just that, rookies.

I think with Gronk gone the 2017 wr group just won’t cut it. We are in good shape right now.

I think with Gronk gone the 2017 wr group just won’t cut it. We are in good shape right now.
Listen you taco eating MF'er.

I'm so sorry, I was just dying to say that. I agree with you. This is a joke. Carry on.

Empty calorie article.
I feel like I just ate generic pasta with Ragu sauce.

Edelman is an elite WR and an X factor few teams can handle
Gordon is a proven beast

Seems pretty good for our starters....right?

Harry and Meyers.... young depth with significant upside. Future beast and a move the chains silent star.

Thomas and Dorsett.... experienced/proven vets who offer depth and as spot starters

What is the issue? The present and the future are beyond solid. What teams possess such a pool?
—————————————————————
Full disclosure, I’m giving 2 to 1 odds Thomas gets cut.... but why sabotage a spectacular hot take in the opening paragraph

Lot of “ifs” standing between now and this being a great group of receivers.

Lot of “ifs” standing between now and this being a great group of receivers.

You forgot the Brady factor..... :D

I hope you're trolling us with that.

I am optimistic however there is a little bit of uncertainty

You know I'm not.

We have different perspectives. You see potential and look for what bad will happen, or not see enough guarantees to believe, as if there are any such things.

I look at the potential, and evaluate what I believe is most likely to happen.
======
With regard to WR, this has been a continuing discussion. Until the season is over, I doubt that you will be posting that we have a solid WR corps.

For me, two players are "unproven": Myers and Harry. I never expect much from Patriot rookie WR's. I expect solid performance from three of the other four.

I hope you're trolling us with that.

I'll be clear.

There are only two things that will keep the patriots from being a heavy favorite to be playing in the AFC title game: Brady's health and major injuries at several positions.
If Gordon and Thomas were to leave after Game 1, I would still expect us to be in the AFC title game. And if only one is a top contributor, the receiver corps will have "great" numbers, and be considered a "great receiver corps". They won't be difference between winning and losing.
======
That's my opinion.

Ok, you're definitely trolling.

I'll be clear.

There are only two things that will keep the patriots from being a heavy favorite to be playing in the AFC title game: Brady's health and major injuries at several positions.
If Gordon and Thomas were to leave after Game 1, I would still expect us to be in the AFC title game. And if only one is a top contributor, the receiver corps will have "great" numbers, and be considered a "great receiver corps". They won't be difference between winning and losing.
======
That's my opinion.

That's a different issue than the one raised by this thread, which is specific to the current crop of WRs. You know that. Come on, man. I dealt with people here talking crazy **** all yesterday, I don't need you to go down that path today.

That's a different issue than the one raised by this thread, which is specific to the current crop of WRs. You know that. Come on, man. I dealt with people here talking crazy **** all yesterday, I don't need you to go down that path today.
Yea well Kwame Brown at more points in the NBA at 19 years old than Michael Jordan did!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye