PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2017 NFL Draft, Day One Game-Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Achilles...but I thought reports were he is progressing nicely. I'd say every team BUT the Pats can't afford to red shirt him with a high pick. The may even be ready to play off of PUP.

Achilles is much tougher to come back from but he is a young guy so there's hope. It's definitely a high risk/reward that few teams can afford to make.

East Coast bias is alive and well. Hell, after that bowl game against Penn State, you would have thought he would be even more of a household name by now even in spite of the fact that he plays for USC.

I don't know about you but I could tell he was special before that game. His demeanor during and after the game was unlike anything I've ever seen. You would've thought it was the spring game

Why do I have the feeling that the Browns have been lowballing the Pats regarding Garoppolo and that is why he hasn't been dealt?

Let's be honest. If Cleveland had actually offered #12, a 2nd and a 2nd next year, there is no way BB would have said no.. Not when he'd gain 3 major pieces and have control of them for a significant time.

My bet is that Cleveland has been offering a 2nd and 3rd at most.. And that is why the Pats have turned them down.. And that's why when they inquired, they were told no again..

The only other plausible explanation (imho) is that BB really hates this draft (like he did the 2007 draft) and just doesn't want to add a lot of players from it..

He's definitely getting what the CBA entitles, but he's definitely not getting what he deserves.
True, but so what? Dozens if not hundreds of NFL players aren't getting what they deserve because they aren't free agents.

And in one case, Chicago, a team may have set themselves back a decade or more.
KC also did themselves a big disservice, not quite as bad as Chicago, but, man, they spent an awful lot for a QB that needs a lot of work.

At the end of the day, the draft is a crap shoot just like buying sports memorabilia from Eli Manning.

Anybody who'd pay good money for Eli Manning memorabilia deserves whatever they get.

At the end of the day, the draft is a crap shoot just like buying sports memorabilia from Eli Manning.

Thank you for doing that! This made the draft thread for me!:)

And in one case, Chicago, a team may have set themselves back a decade or more.

Speaking of...watch how some Bears fans reacted after the Trubisky pick was announced...comedy gold. :D

Widely reported that the Browns offered number 12. Look what was given up for rookie QBs....Backup quarterbacks are not worth more to your roster than 1st round picks.

Unless Jimmy is starting next year or franchised and starts the year after, this was a mistake.

A Superbowl-caliber roster without a capable backup QB could suddenly become worth a lot less than a raft of draft picks.

A Superbowl-caliber roster without a capable backup QB could suddenly become worth a lot less than a raft of draft picks.

Well you can't think like that. You gotta hope that brady will stay healthy and he has for the most part.

They managed to go into seasons with a single backup QB named Mallet....I don't see why it is much different this year.

1) JG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mallett.
2) If they'd had a reasonable opportunity to upgrade from Mallet, they'd have taken it and moved on from him.

In fact, they did. JG was drafted in April 2014; Mallett was traded at the start of Camp in August 2014.

Well you can't think like that. You gotta hope that brady will stay healthy and he has for the most part.

Well, I do "think like that."

JG provides a much better chance of being able to make effective use of this Superbowl-caliber roster than Brissett does if Brady gets injured like in 2008.

Kirk Cousins could win you a superbowl. He'd need more help than Brady would but he's good enough to win a Super Bowl.

That aside he definitely can get a team into the playoffs.

Nah he can't man. There's something about him when I watch him play games he needs to win and loses. He just doesn't come up when he needs to. He'll never win a superbowl.

Nah he can't man. There's something about him when I watch him play games he needs to win and loses. He just doesn't come up when he needs to. He'll never win a superbowl.

I've been watching his games on Game Pass and I agree that he's had some bad ones but I do believe he's a decent QB. I don't think the Redskins miss the playoffs because of Cousins IOW.

Why do I have the feeling that the Browns have been lowballing the Pats regarding Garoppolo and that is why he hasn't been dealt?

Let's be honest. If Cleveland had actually offered #12, a 2nd and a 2nd next year, there is no way BB would have said no.. Not when he'd gain 3 major pieces and have control of them for a significant time.

My bet is that Cleveland has been offering a 2nd and 3rd at most.. And that is why the Pats have turned them down.. And that's why when they inquired, they were told no again..

The only other plausible explanation (imho) is that BB really hates this draft (like he did the 2007 draft) and just doesn't want to add a lot of players from it..

1. I don't think it's that he hates the draft, it's more that he hates the value with such a stacked roster of starters.

2. I think it more likely that he's be happy with a 2nd rounder this year where he can get a faller of value and then picks in next years draft where he can start building again from this roster.

What the hell is this logic ? You can't think like that ? What is this.. amateur hour ?

You gotta be ready for all possibilities and Brady is always just one snap away from an injury.

Seriously ?

That is what is so stunning Andy. Not only, by all reports, there wasn't a QB worth drafting in the top 20, for the first time in NFL draft history, THREE teams were so QB starved that they traded UP to get a QB in one of the worst QB drafts in recent memory. Yet JG still remains a Patriot. Incredible....at least to me.

Now I DO realize that not trading JG isn't going to make a huge difference in the team's chances to win again. I know that we will be one of the favorites and rightfully so. AND I admit that most of my frustration comes from not being able to take advantage of a rare chance to pick in the top half of the first round (something most teams' fans get at least every few years). Still I think it will take a few days to get this out of my system.

It would help if BB would grab the FA DE from the Lions and coverage LB from the Eagles as Toys suggested. ;)
Garopollo is unproven and if the asking price is ridiculous why would you trade for him?
I know Patriot fans have rose colored glasses but they also thought Ryan mallet was being traded for the clowney pick.

I really hope the fuhrer doesn't say World Champions again, or is this the round another former player says it? Whatever, I hope there's a point in the draft where he does announce our pick and doesn't say it. Then I hope the pats media gets on that over and over and over until the opening night game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3