PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2017 NFL Draft, Day One Game-Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope we go pass rusher at 72. People will go crazy if bill took another safety at 72

I really hope we go pass rusher at 72. People will go crazy if bill took another safety at 72

Agree. Thats the need. That and athletic, ILB/OLB type. Maybe IOL too.

I don't see FS as a need. Maybe a talent that can help Chung. I dunna know..

Of course it doesn't in a contractual sense. It's a business. But to say Butler is being paid commensurate with his skill and production is stupid. He clearly isn't.

No argument there but timing is everything. While there has been speculation, he and the NEP have talked about a deal and it is both their faults as to why a deal is not done.

You know damn well the browns will find a way to screw this up. They have fallen in love with loading up on picks. They better hope they get a QB that will be any good. I am not in love with their coach either.

I think that, along with the Jets, they're targeting Darnold in 2018.

You know damn well the browns will find a way to screw this up. They have fallen in love with loading up on picks. They better hope they get a QB that will be any good. I am not in love with their coach either.

I for one do not know that Cleveland will mess it up. Paul DePodesta is not a moron, and he's made sound moves thus far in Cleveland. The owner is still a dip, and I'm with you that the coach is just ok. But teams are bad for long periods of time for basically one reason: bad decision making. If Haslem stays out of the way, I'd bank on the smart people now running the Browns' football operation to get things in the right direction.

No argument there but timing is everything. While there has been speculation, he and the NEP have talked about a deal and it is both their faults as to why a deal is not done.
I agree with that and I've said the same thing all along, but I feel the two are entirely different conversations if you really think about it. In simplest terms, CBA or not, 3 (or clost to 4) mil for what Malcolm brings to the table is not what he deserves.

With that said, all he has to do is have a kick ass season and he'll surely get what he deserves next off season, be it with the Pats or someone else.

I for one do not know that Cleveland will mess it up. Paul DePodesta is not a moron, and he's made sound moves thus far in Cleveland. The owner is still a dip, and I'm with you that the coach is just ok. But teams are bad for long periods of time for basically one reason: bad decision making. If Haslem stays out of the way, I'd bank on the smart people now running the Browns' football operation to get things in the right direction.
In addition - the AFC sucks. I don't think they're very far from a wild card team on their current track. Some more good moves and a decent QB (easier said than done) could maybe put them in the playoffs next year.

That franchise seem's to be cursed though. Idk. We will see. They have some older guys in there as well. Feel for Joe Thomas.

I agree with that and I've said the same thing all along, but I feel the two are entirely different conversations if you really think about it. In simplest terms, CBA or not, 3 (or clost to 4) mil for what Malcolm brings to the table is not what he deserves.

With that said, all he has to do is have a kick ass season and he'll surely get what he deserves next off season, be it with the Pats or someone else.
Yep. He is grossly underpaid and his high-level of play justifies a major raise no question

The reason I hunker down on the "deserves" comment is it takes market conditions, good-faith negotiations and perceived value to determine what he really deserves. I don't necessarily view the RFA as influencing what he "deserves", but rather an impediment to completely understanding what he would receive in a free market scenario.

For example, there has been speculation that BB does not see Malcolm as a Top 5, lock-down CB. I'm not sure I buy that but its out there nonetheless. On the other hand, rumor is that NO views him as a $14m AAV CB which is clearly Top 5 $.

Perhaps the Pats could trade their later 3rd and higher 5th to move into the mid 2nd and grab a quality prospect. That would give them a mid 2nd, high 3rd, plus a 4th, 5th and 7th. With those five picks, they could get "best-player-available" in the 2nd and 4 more picks to fill depth.

Part of me hopes they get Derek Rivers, simply because the thought of their top DEs being "Flowers & Rivers" is just cool sounding. Can't stop nature!!!

Perhaps the Pats could trade their later 3rd and higher 5th to move into the mid 2nd and grab a quality prospect. That would give them a mid 2nd, high 3rd, plus a 4th, 5th and 7th. With those five picks, they could get "best-player-available" in the 2nd and 4 more picks to fill depth.

I had this thought as well. I think its very possible.

They need a NFL-ready DE/OLB/EDGE guy who can give them 25-35 snaps a game and scream off the edge and offer run support. Flowers is fine. Ealy should be ok. Nink should be ok. The need someone else.

Part of me hopes they get Derek Rivers, simply because the thought of their top DEs being "Flowers & Rivers" is just cool sounding. Can't stop nature!!!

Lets bring back Earthwind Moreland...now ya really have the Treehugger D.

Perhaps the Pats could trade their later 3rd and higher 5th
This doesn't affect your point but we only have one 5th now, the higher one that you are trading turned into Mike Gillislee.

This doesn't affect your point but we only have one 5th now, the higher one that you are trading turned into Mike Gillislee.
Whoops! I forgot about that. I guess most draft sites have not changed their information to reflect that. Thanks!

I thought the Ravens made a great pick and pisses me off since things just fall in their lap.

honestly, i give Ozzie credit, he has a great scouting team and knows how to draft well

What if darnold has a down year? USC and QBs don't mix well. Palmer is an ok QB

This kid is different. Honestly that Qb thing is purely coincidental. Barkley dropped way down. The USC bust QBs were who? Sanchez and leinart. Darnold is a stud. He could have a down year but I doubt it. It's basically like Andrew luck. Darnold is the best QB to come out since Luck and by this time next year they'll be saying he might be the best Qb Prospect since elway

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back