PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Thread: NE @ Jacksonville

Status
Not open for further replies.
BCG -

Clayborn - 6'2 5/8 with 32 4/8" arms
Davis - 6'3 - 34 4/8" arms

I don't get why you think that Clayborn isn't big, heavy and long but you think that Davis is.

Pretty sure those were separate thoughts, not a direct or comprehensive comparison of Clayborn and Davis. Clayborn is more of an upfield pass rusher. Previously, the discussion had been about Davis vs Rivers seeing snaps, so my guess is he was elaborating on what the Patriots usually look for at that position, not that I presume to speak for him.

I am thinking in particular about this play.

Yep, that's just one where there is clear over pursuit. I can't see where there would be a backer in there with the assignment of filling that gap and containing/spying Bortles.

#91 had very little to do with the result of that play. The main culprit was Gronk's inability to seal #36 who followed him when he went in motion. Andrews also could've done a better job of containing the back-side pursuit DT.

Not sure why you don't mention it but this was one ugly rep by Gronk.

#91 had very little to do with the result of that play. The main culprit was Gronk's inability to seal #36 who followed him when he went in motion. Andrews also could've done a better job of containing the back-side pursuit DT.

I definitely noticed it. Very sloppy. Only so many characters you can use.

To Captain's point I just disagree. It didn't help at all but Yannick made a great play there.

Someone mentioned "edge setting 101" or something in the last thread & this was a perfect example of this talk.

They were running through Brown, in front of Dev, off tackle & YNG did a vg job of setting the edge. He got low/underneath, stood Brown up, pressed off & took on Dev.

Gronks block was sloppy & didn't help but YNG sealed that lane & forced the play inside where Darius was waiting.

Question for those who have access to the all-22: were you able to identify what led to Rowe's being benched?

Another third down is next and this time Chung just is a tick too slow and misses a chance to tackle.

That was a good play design by the Jags. WR basically runs a semi pick play at Chung creating enough space for the RB coming out of the backfield. I'm not sure how you would clean that up but maybe Chung needed to play closer to the LOS and Jam the receiver.

Great job on this Luuked btw. Thanks

I understand the frustration when plays like this occur but keep in mind our perspective (TV angle, overhead) vs. what the player in question sees. Things often look like absolute no brainers from above because you have the full view on whats unfolding. What you see while you are trailing behind the man you are supposed to cover in real time on the field is not as clear.

Just to be clear I am not saying you are wrong but just ask people to consider that players dont have the full view as we do and are usually in motion while they have to make a decision.

Plus, the line of scrimmage isn't projected onto the field as it is on your TV. :)

That was a good play design by the Jags. WR basically runs a semi pick play at Chung creating enough space for the RB coming out of the backfield. I'm not sure how you would clean that up but maybe Chung needed to play closer to the LOS and jam the receiver...
Of course Chung needed to play closer; he doesn't possess the make-up speed to beat his man to the spot if he allows him the same cushion. Poor all-around play.

Would have posted more yesterday but work, errands, pod, blah, blah etc

Yeah that was a terrible "attempt" by Trent Brown. I absolutely feckin Hate when we don't convert 3rd/short situations like that .
He's been wandering around on the 2nd level/space & front loaded to much. Again you can see that in space as well. He tries to use his reach for everything. Which is understandable from his pov. He's a giant.

And this ain't directed at you but I hope don't some don't think I'm bashing players or the Pats or w/e.

Yeah that was a terrible "attempt" by Trent Brown. I absolutely feckin Hate when we don't convert 3rd/short situations like that .
As I re-watched the whole game last night with clicker in hand, many things were less discouraging than it had seemed live. Lots of mostly correctable mistakes. But Brown and Waddle both were getting beat way too much. And after week 1 people were saying Brown ought to get a pay day bigger than Solder and that he's already better than either Solder or Light ever were. Bizarroland.

We kept running to the offensive left side and both Thuney and Brown were regularly giving up penetration. Not good. Given NE's lack of control of the LOS, I though Sony made some decent runs to get 4 yards out of nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes