PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatch Pats @ Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.

luuked

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Hey folks,

same rules as always apply. Try to stay on topic, keep discussions that dont relate directly to video evidence in the post game thread and remember this is a hawt taek free zone.

If you have a request for a scene post it here. If someone actually posts the scene you requested at least show the courtesy of explaining what you wanted to see in the scene.

Down the line as A22 becomes available the thread will also be filled by tweets from the usual twitter sources like Baldy, Evan Lazar or whoever else is out there.

Reactions: PP2
Am just starting early with some things Loyko realized right after the game:

It looks like Butler has blown the Jesse James catch at the end:

Mentioned it in @patfanken idle thoughts thread but here is another look that will make you sick to your stomach at Richards' tackling attempt on that big gain at the end of the game:

That being said to redeem himself a bit from that mess look at his excellent positioning on the INT to deny Ben the quick pass Rogers which might have been a game winner. Instead he had to wait a beat which gave Rowe enough time to recover.

Another play I already looked at a bit was the first Steeler touchdown. There was a flag on it which was definitely ineligible men downfield:

NFc2ZQm.jpg

Look at how one of the lineman above the hashmarks is close to be 2-3 yards up the field at the moment the pass is thrown. I would love to hear how this flag was picked up because it looks clear as day to me:

From the rulebook:

Article 1: Legal and Illegal Acts.

On a scrimmage play during which a legal forward pass is thrown, an ineligible offensive player, including a T-formation quarterback, is not permitted to move more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage before the pass has been thrown.

Item 1: Legally Downfield.

An ineligible player is not illegally downfield if, after initiating contact with an opponent within one yard of the line of scrimmage during his initial charge:

(a) he moves more than one yard beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an opponent; or

(b) after breaking legal contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage, he remains stationary until a forward pass is thrown; or

(c) after losing legal contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage, he is forced behind the line of scrimmage by an opponent, at which time he is again subject to normal blocking restrictions for an ineligible offensive player.

The reason this is a flag is that blocking downfield is only allowed on running plays by design. This is one of the ways defenses can read a run. I cant fault Harris, Harmon or Rowe on this play because they all read run.

Also I dont get why this is not reviewable because this is one of the more black and white rules in the entire game.

Chatham said the same thing:

Last edited:
Am just starting early with some things Loyko realized right after the game:

It looks like Butler has blown the Jesse James catch at the end:

The secondary was up and down yesterday. The sacks were definitely of the coverage variety vice quick pressure, so those contributions were huge, however lots of poor communication and overall defensive scheme execution, tackling and run support.

I said it during the game thread too though - every Steelers skill player did EVERYTHING right and it was still a loss. Every big play they needed, they got. Every check down they saw and made the throw, catch and/or move (hence the 3d down conversion rate).

If I'm the Steeler faithful, I'm worried by that fact.

The secondary was up and down yesterday. The sacks were definitely of the coverage variety vice quick pressure, so those contributions were huge, however lots of poor communication and overall defensive scheme execution, tackling and run support.

I said it during the game thread too though - every Steelers skill player did EVERYTHING right and it was still a loss. Every big play they needed, they got. Every check down they saw and made the throw, catch and/or move (hence the 3d down conversion rate).

If I'm the Steeler faithful, I'm worried by that fact.

Yea at one point they were like.... 11/14 on 3rd down? Wish i could find the real time stat but it was a major anomaly with such a good secondary. That just wont happen again. Also poor red zone D till the final drive, 3tds in 4 trips, very un patriot like and steelerclike for the matter. Thats the beauty of having brady, so many games with several teaching points and rare breakdowns that likely wont happen a second time still go down as wins.

Wonder how a shallow crossing pattern broke open to begin with? Illegal pick. If Rowe runs into it he is more than a yard beyond the LOS.

I mean, if it's not 1 yard, it's pretty close. This one won't keep me up at night.

I'd love to see a better view of Allen's huge block on the game winner.

I'm off from both gigs today, so I am re-watching now for breakfast.

By the way, does anyone know the NFL record for most redzone takeaways in a season? If memory serves, that six for NE counting the Harmon pick yesterday. That's got to be approaching a record of some sort . . . Ravens? Bear? Legion of Boom? They came oh so close to having the most safeties by a team last season, I believe.

Anyway, re-watching now. I'll come back with new thoughts and ideas at the conclusion.

Nobody seems to be talking about this, but Jesse James’ knee was down before he even tried to extend the ball past the goal line. (Or maybe I’m wrong, since he was untouched up until that point).

Also:

Via Mike Pereira Twitter:

“People are saying a runner breaking the plane causes the ball to become dead…which is true. BUT the receiver does not become a runner until he completes the process of the catch. TOTALLY DIFFERENT”

“Look, here is the rule. If you’re going to the ground you have to hold onto the ball when the ball hits the ground…Going to the ground trumps lunging/reaching to try and get extra yards or score a TD. You do that at your own risk. It’s incomplete…just ask Dez.”

Last edited:
Cheers fella. Allen's was the one that stood out from seeing it live but Gronk's is just as important. Tuitt is about 40lbs heavier and Gronk has him on roller-skates.

He's a f*cking animal.

By the way, I love how Tuitt turns round bewildered as if to say "who the f... was that?!"

Will be interesting to see how they solve this issue. Thuney had the same problem late last year but bounced back ok for the playoffs.

Its the third “blackout“ game in a row for JT that started in BUF and hopefully ends @BUF.

With Cannon out and Waddle banged up Tommy needs solid LG. Both Karras and Croston are solid (+ bigger) backups and it seems Thuney could use a break but not likely BB&Scar way.

Hopefully the end of insane road odyssey last 6 weeks and full week of preparation/regeneration for a home game give Joe some juice back..

Wonder how a shallow crossing pattern broke open to begin with? Illegal pick. If Rowe runs into it he is more than a yard beyond the LOS.

Interesting play design by the Steelers. Their front looks like it retreats by design, opening up space for the shallow crosser on the Steelers' side of the line of scrimmage. So that way they can set legal picks at will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back