PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Pats won’t pick up 5th year option on DTs Danny Shelton and Malcolm Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean it's not surprising. He hasn't panned out in Cleveland. They wanna see how he plays here first.

Shelton had a great year in the Browns 3 - 4.

Not so much in Williams 4 - 3 and didnt play all the time.

This is nothing more than BB saying show me the beef. Shelton will get paid if he is a beast this season and he has that potential unlike Brown.

Malcom Brown is a BUST.

I told you guys that, but very few would listen.

Brown started very promising, but went south along that way. He is not worth keeping at this point unless he gets his act together. Shelton is here to replace him at NT.

If he was such an impact run stuffer the browns wouldn't have been almost dead last in the nfl in rushing those two years. The browns got themselves a couple of players and it got better and they had no problems letting him go. I think fans here are hyping this guy up to the max!

Everyones favorite Malcom "Binky" Brown is also part of a dead last run defense.

Malcom Brown is a BUST.

I told you guys that, but very few would listen.

Brown started very promising, but went south along that way. He is not worth keeping at this point unless he gets his act together. Shelton is here to replace him at NT.
Brown should never be playing NT any way.
Otherwise your comments are funny.

Some people are saying he had great years. He had a nice 2016 season but the browns run defense was still terrible. It will be interesting to see if he can turn his career here in New England.

Ray Farmer was the Browns DC and was fired.

Greg Williams brought in and things look better in the 4 - 3.

Everyones favorite Malcom "Binky" Brown is also part of a dead last run defense.
Wrong.
They were 20th last year despite a rash of injuries (also #2 in rushing tds)
In browns other 3 years on the team they were 3,9,9

Brown should never be playing NT any way.
Otherwise your comments are funny.

What will his # 1 fan do when Brown is saying his good byes over at Patriots Place?

Wrong.
They were 20th last year despite a rash of injuries (also #2 in rushing tds)
In browns other 3 years on the team they were 3,9,9

WRONG

NE had the 30th ranked run defense in 2017 FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2017 DEFENSE EFFICIENCY RATINGS
You can finagle your stats to show a positive spin on a bad defense all you want , but it will never change the truth. Furthermore, all this 5th or 8th in points allowed business is a crock of BS. 7 games were against the worst offenses in the NFL in 2017. 2 of the teams drafted top QBs in NY and Buffalo. Denver and Miami were void at QB as well and will likely suck again.

The spinning wheel goes round and round.

You are aware that the team you're talking about was 13-3 with a SB appearance last year, right? I mean, you must still have some familiarity with reality.

Brady hides so many warts its not even funny.

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
WRONG

NE had the 30th ranked run defense in 2017 FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2017 DEFENSE EFFICIENCY RATINGS
You can finagle your stats to show a positive spin on a bad defense all you want , but it will never change the truth. Furthermore, all this 5th or 8th in points allowed business is a crock of BS. 7 games were against the worst offenses in the NFL in 2017. 2 of the teams drafted top QBs in NY and Buffalo. Denver and Miami were void at QB as well and will likely suck again.

The spinning wheel goes round and round.
You understand that efficiency ratings are “finagling stats” right?

5th in pints is a FACT.

Btw 30/32 is still not DEAD LAST.

Reactions: jah
Brady hides so many warts its not even funny.

This defense never looked right even when they played well. They made average QBs look great. Take out butler and it's even gonna look worse. In my heart of hearts we likely win the super bowl with butler in there. We got no pressure but with butler in there we can create some coverage sacks.

Having Brady certainly helps, but I don't think this team went to 8 SBs and won 5 with Brady + utter incompetence, which is the picture you seem to constantly paint. Aaron Rodgers has one SB appearance.

True but rodgers might have an even more crappier defense. I like what they have done this offseason though.

New England Patriots defensive lineman Malcom Brown has developed into a leader on and off the field for the defending Super Bowl champions.
He is not quite Vince Wilfork, but third-year defensive lineman Malcom Brown has developed into a steady player for the New England Patriots and is displaying the type of leadership on and off the field that made him the team’s No. 1 pick back in 2015.

With 47 combined tackles and 2.5 sacks entering Week 16, the 6-foot-2, 320-pound product out of Texas has matured into a reliable performer in the center of the defense. With fellow defensive tackle Alan Branch struggling this season, the importance of Brown really showed when he missed three games this season.

Patriots gridiron news: Malcom Brown anchors the defense with leadership

"Malcolm Brown dominated against the run as the Patriots locked up home field advantage throughout the playoffs"

DI MALCOM BROWN, 86.8 OVERALL GRADE

"Brown was single-handedly ruining the Jets run game all day long. He only collected two run stops, but blew up a handful of other runs that he didn’t get the finish on."

Refocused: New England Patriots 26, New York Jets 6 | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

"Including the playoffs, Patriots defensive tackle Malcom Brown has tallied a run-stop percentage of 10.8 percent this year, which ranks sixth among defensive tackles with at least 85 run-defense snaps."

52 observations ahead of Super Bowl LII | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

Brown is a run stuffing DT and run stuffing DTs are not worth $7M. It doesn't mean that he sucks. It just means that his role is worth less than $7M per year.

And yet there are several DTs in the league who, over the course of the past three seasons have fewer sacks and fewer stops than Brown, and who are getting paid significantly more than $7.1M.

It might also be worth noting that Brown just turned 24 at the beginning of February.

So, I wouldn't be shocked at all if it turns out that NFL teams value Brown much higher than many fans do next spring, even if he only posts yet another "ho-hum" 3-sack/50 tackle performance in 2018.

WRONG

You can finagle your stats to show a positive spin on a bad defense all you want

Guy uses a finagled stat to show a negative spin on a defense, derides notion of others finagling stats to show a positive spin on a defense.
rofl.gif

Negativism is deeply ingrained in the New England psyche. No other place (that I know of anyway, with the possible exception of other NE cities) takes delight in bashing their team. I live in Texas now, and people love the Cowboys. If anything, they are annoying in how they constantly overestimate the Cowboys' chances. Only in New England could a team go to 10 SBs, have the greatest dynasty in NFL history, and people still constantly rant about what bums they are.

New England has a butt load of Pollyanna fans. This site is littered with them. The reality is that every fan base, in every region, has its Pollyannas and its Eeyores, as well as those who fall in the middle of the spectrum. The percentages will vary by region, and with time, but no region is devoid of any of the three fan subgroups.

Guy uses a finagled stat to show a negative spin on a defense, derides notion of others finagling stats to show a positive spin on a defense.
rofl.gif
You won just for using finagled/finagling...

We seem to be running low on Malcolm's and Danny's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes