PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Pats won’t pick up 5th year option on DTs Danny Shelton and Malcolm Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit surprising . esp. after not adding DT in Draft and not adding NT at all. Then again long term deals for 2-tier DTs (esp. NT) are still around 5M apy ..

Yeah I agree, especially since they just gave up a 3rd rounder for him. If he walks, it’s a waste.

No option picked up by NE (maybe OP can change the title)

A little bit of a surprise on the DTs, but it does make sense for potential comp picks. Belichick has said many times that he’s not afraid of free agency.

Yeah I agree, especially since they just gave up a 3rd rounder for him. If he walks, it’s a waste.

Speaking of trading away third rounders. We have 3 next year. I’m hoping we can ship another away for a DE, say like Dante Fowler Jr who the Jags declined his 5th year option today.

Makes complete sense. Once you pick up the option it sets the floor for subsequent negotiations on a long term deal.

They might be willing to pay $7m in isolation but that makes it harder to sign them to a long term deal. You can't pay them $7m for the 5th year option and then offer a $5-6m average over 4 years on a long term deal. The Pats might actually want to keep Brown and Shelton.

It's why they don't use the franchise tag now. It becomes the basis for negotiation. Lets say they franchised Hightower last off season at $14m. It means he would never have signed a $8-10m average deal as it sets an unrealistic bar.

Brown has been ok but he hasn't exactly been mr consistent. It shows you really what they think of them. A year before he will become a free agent let's see if brown plays well.

While this is true, you can rescind the offer at any time. The only real issue with regards to not picking up the option is long-term injury avoidance.

While this is true, you can rescind the offer at any time. The only real issue with regards to not picking up the option is long-term injury avoidance.

As long as the player is healthy. It becomes fully guaranteed against injury the moment it's exercised. [A fact that Blake Bortles took advantage of.]

via Mike Garafalo on Twitter.

How much would the option have cost?

They gave up a low 3rd and got Shelton and a high 5th so the real cost was dropping about 40 slots. If they do not re-sign him, and they still might, even that cost may also be somewhat defrayed by a comp pick.

As long as the player is healthy. It becomes fully guaranteed against injury the moment it's exercised. [A fact that Blake Bortles took advantage of.]

Yes, as I said.

The only real issue with regards to not picking up the option is long-term injury avoidance.

Brown has been ok but he hasn't exactly been mr consistent. It shows you really what they think of them. A year before he will become a free agent let's see if brown plays well.
Agree it doesn't necessarily mean they don't like him but certainly shows they think 7mil (or whatever $ is) is too high. His play this year could change things but they've started to set their value for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back