PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Pats won’t pick up 5th year option on DTs Danny Shelton and Malcolm Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
They gave up a low 3rd and got Shelton and a high 5th so the real cost was dropping about 40 slots. If they do not re-sign him, and they still might, even that cost may also be somewhat defrayed by a comp pick.
Most here always seem to ignore that dropping 40 spots is not the same as losing a 3rd.

AGAIN with this? Do you really not understand that Shelton was fine for his first two years in the Browns 3-4, and only declined after Gregg Williams imposed his version of the 4-3 in 2017?

He was the 12th overall pick. Doing "fine" should be seen as somewhat disappointing

I get that the Browns coaching and surrounding talent wasn't good. But a guy drafted that highly should be more than an average or slightly better than average starter/2 down player

I think it's fair to say the pick didn't work out for Cleveland while also acknowledging that things might be better for Shelton in New England.

That said, the Pats have taken on a lot of former high picks who they bought low on. None of them have turned out to be stars and most are thrown back on the scrap heap quickly.

The Pats have done much better at identifying and coaching up under-utilized guys who need a chance than they have turning underwhelming high draft picks into high end contributors.

They gave up a low 3rd and got Shelton and a high 5th so the real cost was dropping about 40 slots. If they do not re-sign him, and they still might, even that cost may also be somewhat defrayed by a comp pick.

And that 5th rounder became Patterson and Oakland's 6th - which was used to draft Braxton Berrios.

So, a 2019 3rd rounder (likely #93 or later) was used to acquire an NT, the league's #1 KR and a slot receiver with extensive PR experience.

AGAIN with this? Do you really not understand that Shelton was fine for his first two years in the Browns 3-4, and only declined after Gregg Williams imposed his version of the 4-3 in 2017?

If he was such an impact run stuffer the browns wouldn't have been almost dead last in the nfl in rushing those two years. The browns got themselves a couple of players and it got better and they had no problems letting him go. I think fans here are hyping this guy up to the max!

And that 5th rounder became Patterson and Oakland's 6th - which was used to draft Braxton Berrios.

So, a 2019 3rd rounder (likely #93 or later) was used to acquire an NT, the league's #1 KR and a slot receiver with extensive PR experience.

Not too shabby and again should they choose not to retain Shelton there may still be a compensatory pick involved.

He was the 12th overall pick. Doing "fine" should be seen as somewhat disappointing

I get that the Browns coaching and surrounding talent wasn't good. But a guy drafted that highly should be more than an average or slightly better than average starter/2 down player

I think it's fair to say the pick didn't work out for Cleveland while also acknowledging that things might be better for Shelton in New England.

That said, the Pats have taken on a lot of former high picks who they bought low on. None of them have turned out to be stars and most are thrown back on the scrap heap quickly.

The Pats have done much better at identifying and coaching up under-utilized guys who need a chance than they have turning underwhelming high draft picks into high end contributors.

Seriously? Shelton was a run-topping nose tackle in a 3-4 defense. He did his job well. He had 85 total tackles and 1.5 sacks in his first two seasons on a crappy team with not much talent around him.

What would've made him NOT "disappointing"? Say, 96 total tackles and 2.5 sacks? That's what Wilfork had in his first two seasons in a 3-4 defense on a great team with a lot of talent around him.

I think fans here are hyping this guy up to the max!

Jeez, here we go again.
I've seen no evidence of "hyping to the max."
I've seen a lot of people noting that he was a good player for a couple of years (draft position being irrelevant now) and hoping that he becomes a good player here.
It's not binary. It isn't "he did poorly in Cleveland" nor is it "he'll be great here for sure." It is fraught with uncertainty, which is what makes the off season interesting.

2019 Salaries for DT's : Is either as good as these players?
NFL Rankings

Fletcher Cox
Defensive Tackle $17,100,000
Kawann Short
Defensive Tackle $16,100,000
Marcell Dareus
Defensive Tackle $16,095,686
Gerald McCoy
Defensive Tackle $15,866,667
Jurrell Casey
Defensive Tackle $15,100,000
Malik Jackson
Defensive Tackle $14,250,000
Linval Joseph
Defensive Tackle $12,587,500
Timmy Jernigan
Defensive Tackle $12,000,000
Michael Brockers
Defensive Tackle $11,083,333
Brandon Williams
Defensive Tackle $10,500,000
Corey Liuget
Defensive Tackle $10,250,000

Mike Daniels
Defensive Tackle $10,250,000
Star Lotulelei
Defensive Tackle $10,000,000
Dontari Poe
Defensive Tackle $9,333,333
Damon Harrison
Defensive Tackle $9,250,000

Seriously? Shelton was a run-topping nose tackle in a 3-4 defense. He did his job well. He had 85 total tackles and 1.5 sacks in his first two seasons on a crappy team with not much talent around him.

What would've made him NOT "disappointing"? Say, 96 total tackles and 2.5 sacks? That's what Wilfork had in his first two seasons in a 3-4 defense on a great team with a lot of talent around him.

You're reaching with this guy. He's supposed to be a space eater. Clog the line but the browns run defense was terrible those two years. I think bill took a chance to see if he can be the college player again. He

NFL Rankings

Beau Allen
Defensive Tackle $5,000,000

Stacy McGee
Defensive Tackle $5,000,000
DeForest Buckner
Defensive Tackle $4,547,749
Justin Ellis
Defensive Tackle $4,500,000
Corey Peters
Defensive Tackle $4,000,000

Earl Mitchell
Defensive Tackle $4,000,000
Abry Jones
Defensive Tackle $3,875,000
Clinton McDonald
Defensive Tackle $3,500,000
Sheldon Rankins
Defensive Tackle $3,200,412
Akeem Spence
Defensive Tackle $3,000,000
Danny Shelton
Defensive Tackle $2,925,917
Xavier Williams
Defensive Tackle $2,775,000
Vernon Butler
Defensive Tackle $2,099,129
Malcom Brown
Defensive Tackle $1,903,307

Jeez, here we go again.
I've seen no evidence of "hyping to the max."
I've seen a lot of people noting that he was a good player for a couple of years (draft position being irrelevant now) and hoping that he becomes a good player here.
It's not binary. It isn't "he did poorly in Cleveland" nor is it "he'll be great here for sure." It is fraught with uncertainty, which is what makes the off season interesting.

Well people here are thinking this guy will turn his career now that he's with the pats. I am hoping i am wrong and he looks like the college player. If he was such a good player for a couple of years than the browns run defense wouldn't be so terrible. I don't wanna hear about tackles or whateva. Stats are for geeks. Show me that you made some impact on the d line.

Shelton wasn't "fine" as a rookie, which is something he acknowledged. He's been disappointing in 2 of his 3 seasons.

Shelton wasn't "fine" as a rookie, which is something he acknowledged.

Some people are saying he had great years. He had a nice 2016 season but the browns run defense was still terrible. It will be interesting to see if he can turn his career here in New England.

Agree it doesn't necessarily mean they don't like him but certainly shows they think 7mil (or whatever $ is) is too high. His play this year could change things but they've started to set their value for him.
Of course it's too high. Only a handful of dts in the NFL, I believe, who make that much.
This has nothing to do with whether the Pats want Shelton and/or Brown long-term. My guess is they very much want Brown and will see how Shelton performs. As an earlier poster pointed out,you can't pay Shelton $7mill+ because it becomes the floor for negotiating a long-term deal.
It says nothing about how they value Shelton and Brown.
A total nonstory. What else is new.

Some people are saying he had great years. He had a nice 2016 season but the browns run defense was still terrible. It will be interesting to see if he can turn his career here in New England.

If people want to pimp his sophomore season, that's understandable. He was much better than he had been as a rookie, and he showed legitimate promise. That season is probably why BB was willing to take the chance on him.

If people try pimping either his first or third season, they are basically telling you that their opinion is of no value when it comes to analyzing Shelton.

Shelton/Brown contract extensions around 5 years 30m? Not entirely sure, especially with the cap increasing..

But.. but Brown played like a Pro Bowler.:rolleyes:

These fine young men will work very hard during camp.

Where is my red laser pen when I need it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes