PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Pats won’t pick up 5th year option on DTs Danny Shelton and Malcolm Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not picking up Dorsett’s option is a no-brainer, but not picking up Malcolm Brown's is surprising.

On a side note, didn't they pick up the option on Brandin Cooks after signing him last year?

Last edited:
I think brown has been very good for what he is, a two gapping run stuffed dt that provides little pass rush.

I suspect him and Shelton to eliminate the opponents inside run game and keep the linebackers clean.

Either they don't think Brown's good enough, or they're working on a long term deal that's all but done. Odds are it's the former, as not picking up the option means that the team has sacrificed leverage.

Just for reference, the entire Patriots rookie pool this year is around $7.8 M. Factoring in the top 51 contracts, that's likely a cap hit of 4 - 5 million (someone please correct my approximations). While Brown is a solid starting DT, the other two are question marks with some promising traits. The value just isn't there to pick up their 5th year options.

Let's make a deal: Even with slotted picks, there's still wiggle room when it comes to rookie contracts | Boston Sports Journal

may be of help.

Which is cheaper than a veteran contract, and that's the point I was trying to make- that I don't remember the Pats ever paying out the last year of any player's contract. They either cut or resign before the last year kicks in, and it's usually a balloon payment.

Devin McCourty
Bolden
Burkhead
Brandon King
Duron Harmon
James Develin

There are probably many more during the BB era but I have to stop here to go to work.

Ray Farmer has never been a DC, or for that matter a coach, anywhere. Although he has been known to play coach in his head by texting one from the stands

I meant Ray Horton.

Ray Farmer was the GM in 15.

Devin McCourty
Bolden
Burkhead
Brandon King
Duron Harmon
James Develin

There are probably many more during the BB era but I have to stop here to go to work.

Well, I am nowhere near the cap wizard that you are, or as knowledgeable about contracts. It just seems to me that in general, the Pats make it a practice of renegotiating with, or cutting a player before the final year of their contract kicks in (especially when it's a big contract). Does this not happen more often than not?

Having Brady certainly helps, but I don't think this team went to 8 SBs and won 5 with Brady + utter incompetence, which is the picture you seem to constantly paint. Aaron Rodgers has one SB appearance.

What picture?

The NE defense stunk in 2017. If anybody is an artist of BS its all the sun shiners claiming the defense was actually very good.

Well, I am nowhere near the cap wizard that you are, or as knowledgeable about contracts. It just seems to me that in general, the Pats make it a practice of renegotiating with, or cutting a player before the final year of their contract kicks in (especially when it's a big contract). Does this not happen more often than not?

By renegotiating do you mean actually reaching an extension like James White did in 2017? Or just talking numbers?

I see several of overpaids on this list. Next year's DL draft class will match this lineup easily. It's LOADED so don't fret over not picking up Brown and Shelton's options. We can trade back and still pick-up a good tackle, though most of the greats will be gone but plenty of edge rushers. They still count as DLmen, right?

I may be misinterpreting, but it seems as if you're suggesting that the Pats would be okay with Guy, Valentine, Adam Butler and a couple rookies for the interior DL in 2019.

By renegotiating do you mean actually reaching an extension like James White did in 2017? Or just talking numbers?

Either reaching an extension, or (if unsuccessful) cutting or trading the player. The bottom line being to avoid the last year of a veteran contract which tends to be a balloon payment.

You understand that efficiency ratings are “finagling stats” right?

It is not.

Every play is assigned a "value" A 4th down rushing stop vs a team up by 21 running clock out before the half is not as valuable as a 4th down stop seconds left in the 4th quarter to seal the game for your club. Footballs Outsiders ratings are spot on and not number padding to make things look good.

5th in pints is a FACT.

7 games vs the worst NFL offenses in 2017 is a fact. Other games were vs 1 dimensional teams like Tampa. Fact.

Btw 30/32 is still not DEAD LAST.

30 is terrible. The Browns were better and lost every game.

Guy uses a finagled stat to show a negative spin on a defense, derides notion of others finagling stats to show a positive spin on a defense.
rofl.gif

For those who cannot comprehend Football Outsiders it would appear that way.

Either reaching an extension, or (if unsuccessful) cutting or trading the player. The bottom line being to avoid the last year of a veteran contract which tends to be a balloon payment.

I thought that you were referring to the last year of a rookie deal.

It is not.

Every play is assigned a "value" A 4th down rushing stop vs a team up by 21 running clock out before the half is not as valuable as a 4th down stop seconds left in the 4th quarter to seal the game for your club. Footballs Outsiders ratings are spot on and not number padding to make things look good.
You just described “finagling stats”

7 games vs the worst NFL offenses in 2017 is a fact. Other games were vs 1 dimensional teams like Tampa. Fact.
Points allowed us a fact. “Worst offense Or one dimensional” is an opinion.
Perhaps you just don’t understand what a fact is.

By the way how are you rating those offenses to call them worst?

30 is terrible. The Browns were better and lost every game.
30 is a made up metric.
But you said dead last. You were wrong in every way.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who cannot comprehend Football Outsiders it would appear that way.
How games have been decided by who had the better football outsiders rating?

How games have been decided by who had the better football outsiders rating?

Exactly.

Remember how Mike Gillislee was rated as the #1 RB in the NFL in 2016 based on production per touch? How did that work out?

Malcom with one L stinks. You could roll out any 350 pound blob off the street and get the same production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back