PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dolphins Owner Steven Ross Suspended, Picks Forfeited, For Tampering With Brady, Payton

I think you are being naive.

View attachment 44272

That does not mean the league investigates or enforces the rule to the letter and every suspected instance.

At a minimum Tom's behavior was unseemly.
And per the standard NFL contract, players have a duty of loyalty to the club paying them. Negotiating with another club while under contract to another seems to breach that duty.
https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/NFLPA/CBA2020/NFL-NFLPA_CBA_March_5_2020.pdf

2. EMPLOYMENT AND SERVICES. Club employs Player as a skilled football player.
Player accepts such employment. He agrees to give his best efforts and loyalty to the Club,

So you are taking the be dlck route huh?
Why is a 4-11 team even in the game?
Because the boogeyamen defense couldn’t stop Fitzpatrick

League clarification:

Failed bribe attempts are not punishable and it is league policy to vilify targets of failed bribe offers if he/she/they go public in an attempt to disparage the integrity of the NFL and/or team owners.

I mean, I don't really care that much, but it was clear Tom was checked out that final season. Only more proof of it.

Yea I remember noting that his mood etc at post game press conferences, even after a win, were just really somber…. He just looked miserable

And per the standard NFL contract, players have a duty of loyalty to the club paying them. Negotiating with another club while under contract to another seems to breach that duty.
https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/NFLPA/CBA2020/NFL-NFLPA_CBA_March_5_2020.pdf

2. EMPLOYMENT AND SERVICES. Club employs Player as a skilled football player.
Player accepts such employment. He agrees to give his best efforts and loyalty to the Club,
It's such a bad look and downright reckless and arrogant. At least Tom chatted with LVR owner Mark Davis at a UFC match in a public venue

Players can and do tamper - I doubt Gronk didn't hear anything from Brady while the Patriots still had his rights... and I bet Edelman did too- but the rule is clubs can't engage or reciprocate or acknowledge it if a player approaches them. It's not a violation of a rule if it's one sided. I looked in the policy and it says nothing about a player engaging a team.

I do think Yee might be in some trouble though.

Player can tamper with each other because players have no authority to negotiate contracts for their teams. Players cannot speak with the front offices of other teams. If Brady was talking to Dolphins players, that would be one thing. But this states that the front office was speaking to Brady which is against the rules for both sides.

To the best of my knowledge the NFL has never punished tampering by giving picks that way. They have, however, forced pick swaps. It should've happened here, too, IMO, but the fact that there were three victims (NE, NO, TB) makes doing that harder.

The NFL rules say the Commish may dock or transfer the picks..

Again, Kraft should have lodged a formal tampering complaint.

The more I think about this, the more I think that this chit goes on waaaaaay more than the NFL, and everyone else, is letting on. While I am a little disappointed that this is kind of a chitbag move by Brady, this is the NFL. The NFL is probably the most corrupt, rule bending/breaking sports league there is. We know these guys are signing multi million dollar deals minute one of the tampering period, and that kind of chit takes a long time and a lot of lawyers to get done. No way they do it when the starter's gun fires. No way. So the dolphins wanted him to play and offered him a partnership. Meh. If you're Brady, you have to listen, right? It's boat loads of money. Even if you send "your people", you have to turn over a couple stones to see how much money and control we are talking about.

It doesn't change the fact that 1) he won more than anyone else before, 2) he did it in a pats uni, and 3) he's not a lot different from any other pro athlete, as much as we want to pretend he is one of us. He is not one of us.

Many of us have idolized the guy. Many here have made him into Captain America. I have been accused by friends of having a man-crush on Brady. I said no, I want to be Tom Brady. And who wouldn't ? Multi gazillionaire, winner, supermodel wife. While he might not be the mercenary that a guy like Revis is, or a eff you pay me guy like Asante, he's not a lot different than the rest. He's 100% not like the rest of us who root for the laundry.

This type of crap just picks at the scab of what a chitty divorce this was. We are lucky it lasted as long as it did.

Those of you who say this is a distraction for the Watson thing are right on the money.

Last edited:
And after that the defense couldn’t stop anybody.
Not true. Look at the numbers, and the film, Brady played very poorly.
I never thought I’d see the day where you claim
Brady’s success was 100% due to the defense.
That’s wrong, but it’s the hole you dig when you want to ignore facts to support a narrative you wish were true.
Brady is the GOAT, my favorite athlete ever, the greatest winner in the history of the sport but at the end of 2019 he was not the same guy.
It is what it is.

To the best of my knowledge the NFL has never punished tampering by giving picks that way. They have, however, forced pick swaps. It should've happened here, too, IMO, but the fact that there were three victims (NE, NO, TB) makes doing that harder.
Parcells and the Jets tampered resulting in NE awarded draft picks.

Parcells was under contract and so was Brady.

For players like Brady, any policy that penalizes them for tampering would have to be negotiated through the NFL Players Association, and the NFLPA would surely object on the theory that if the league doesn’t like tampering, it’s incumbent upon the league to keep its owners in line.

So unless and until the rules change, coaches and players are free to talk to owners of other teams, even knowing that the owners are breaking the rules.

The more I think about this, the more I think that this chit goes on waaaaaay more than the NFL, and everyone else, is letting on. While I am a little disappointed that this is kind of a chitbag move by Brady, this is the NFL. The NFL is probably the most corrupt, rule bending/breaking sports league there is. We know these guys are signing multi million dollar deals minute one of the tampering period, and that kind of chit takes a long time and a lot of lawyers to get done. No way they do it when the starter's gun fires. No way.

It doesn't change the fact that 1) he won more than anyone else before, 2) he did it in a pats uni, and 3) he's not a lot different from any other pro athlete, as much as we want to pretend he is one of us. He is not one of us.

Many of us have idolized the guy. Many here have made him into Captain America. While he might not be the mercenary that a guy like Revis is, or a eff you pay me guy like Asante, he's not a lot different than the rest. He's 100% not like the rest of us who root for the laundry.

This type of crap just picks at the scab of what a chitty divorce this was. We are lucky it lasted as long as it did.

Those of you who say this is a distraction for the Watson thing are right on the money.
FTB

Lets Go Brady. What a POS tampering with Miami setting up his next move while still under contract with the Patriots. He was no more committed to winning than Parcells's was Super Bowl week vs the Packers. Brady could not wait until the season to be over so he could move on to warmer pastures.

Furthermore, you willing go to a rival in the AFCE and plan to be part owner 1 day? Nothing like taking a big turd on the city of Boston and all his adoring fans. Its like Ted Williams going to work for the Yankees or Bobby Orr taking a position in the Canadians front office.

Not true. Look at the numbers, and the film, Brady played very poorly.
I never thought I’d see the day where you claim
Brady’s success was 100% due to the defense.
That’s wrong, but it’s the hole you dig when you want to ignore facts to support a narrative you wish were true.
Brady is the GOAT, my favorite athlete ever, the greatest winner in the history of the sport but at the end of 2019 he was not the same guy.
It is what it is.
Totally ignoring the fact that he was playing with a make shift OL and the worst supporting cast he ever had in 20 years. The fact is Brady did was he always do at the end. Put the Patriots up late in the 4th quarter . And then the vaunted boogeyman defense screw this up. Most notably DPOY Gilmore getting abused by Parler. It was embarrassing.

Brady was not good but it is just disingenuous to put that failures of a season solely on Brady. I guess that if Brady is solely responsible the failure of that season then he is solely responsible for the SB.

Players can and do tamper - I doubt Gronk didn't hear anything from Brady while the Patriots still had his rights... and I bet Edelman did too- but the rule is clubs can't engage or reciprocate or acknowledge it if a player approaches them. It's not a violation of a rule if it's one sided. I looked in the policy and it says nothing about a player engaging a team.

I do think Yee might be in some trouble though.
Beat me to it. I think Yee could be in some trouble. I have no clue how Goodell and the NYJFL view agents & Don Yee in particular.

Not sure. The Snyder issues expose NFL league office execs looking the other way to sexual harassment while the Ross issue has all kinds of racial, competitive and integrity-related ones with no one tied to the league office.

Just a guess...
Good points, especially since there isn't too much argument about the NFL's track record on head coach hiring diversity, one only has to look at the historical numbers.

However, a cynic (who, me? :whistle:) might think that the Snyder financial schnanigans might finally be a bridge too far for the owners given that some of those financial schnanigans involving excluding earnings from NFL revenue sharing and that took money from the owners own pocket (see: DanSnyderScandals) I wouldn't be surprised if the financial stuff bothered the other owners more than the sexual harassment and sexual assault accusations against Snyder (given that some of those owners might have their own sexual harassment or less than enlightened racial hiring practice skeletons in their own closet).

However, this debate about whether Ross or Snyder is worse is starting to sound like those old arguments about whether Stalin or Hitler were worse. The answer is: they are both bad. ;).

FTB

Lets Go Brady. What a POS tampering with Miami setting up his next move while still under contract with the Patriots. He was no more committed to winning than Parcells's was Super Bowl week vs the Packers. Brady could not wait until the season to be over so he could move on to warmer pastures.

Furthermore, you willing go to a rival in the AFCE and plan to be part owner 1 day? Nothing like taking a big turd on the city of Boston and all his adoring fans. Its like Ted Williams going to work for the Yankees or Bobby Orr taking a position in the Canadians front office.
FTB?

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back