PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dolphins Owner Steven Ross Suspended, Picks Forfeited, For Tampering With Brady, Payton

Correct me if I am wrong, but if this was tampering, shouldn't we get their 2023 1st rounder?
If the Pat's were the Jeter or giants they would get Miami's pick

After all that's happened I don't put anything past Stephen Ross.
After Ross's performance last year with undermining Flores and Tua, the tanking allegations, the Watson flirtation, and the now-confirmed rumors about the Brady tampering, I thought perhaps he was gearing up to challenge Washington's Dan Snyder for worst NFL owner. That is before Snyder upped his game (as the worst owner) recently. :evil:

It would be interesting to know why the hammer is coming down on Ross right now for this tampering thing when the Snyder stuff (I won't recount his various scandals because it would take 10,000 words), would appear to be so much more egregious and outlandish (whatever you think of Ross, at least he hasn't had to flee the country like Snyder to avoid Congressional subpoena). Maybe the hammer came down on Ross now just to distract from the Watson fiasco, but it would seem to me that there must be more to the story.

Brady literally threw the TD to give the Pats a 4 point lead against Miami with 3:30 to go in week 17 and all the Pats needed was for their league best defense to stop Ryan Fitzpatrick to secure 13-3 and a first round bye. The other three loses that season were to the eventual Super Bowl champs, the 1 seed in the conference, and the Texans who were good that year.
That wouldn’t have mattered if he hadn’t thrown a pick 6 earlier in the game
He also got the ball back with 24 seconds and 3 time outs needing 40 yards for a FG and was 1 of 4 before a lateral play.

I mean he was out played by Ryan Fitzpatrick forchristsake

Yep, this has occurred to me to...

It's pretty clear Ross was trying to pull a tank job, he just failed during the execution phase.

If he had a more agreeable coach, the tank would have happened and we would never had known it had happen.

Maybe someone someday will hit Marvin Lewis with some truth serum and we'll hear all about how he took the cash.

Last edited:
Thanks Robert and Bill, i was holding out hope that we could have come out of this with an extra pick or 2 :)
To the best of my knowledge the NFL has never punished tampering by giving picks that way. They have, however, forced pick swaps. It should've happened here, too, IMO, but the fact that there were three victims (NE, NO, TB) makes doing that harder.

After Ross's performance last year with undermining Flores and Tua, the tanking allegations, the Watson flirtation, and the now-confirmed rumors about the Brady tampering, I thought perhaps he was gearing up to challenge Washington's Dan Snyder for worst NFL owner. That is before Snyder upped his game (as the worst owner) recently. :evil:

It would be interesting to know why the hammer is coming down on Ross right now for this tampering thing when the Snyder stuff (I won't recount his various scandals because it would take 10,000 words), would appear to be so much more egregious and outlandish (whatever you think of Ross, at least he hasn't had to flee the country like Snyder to avoid Congressional subpoena). Maybe the hammer came down on Roos now just to distract from the Watson fiasco, but it would seem to me that there must be more to the story.

The HOF game is on Thursday....so bringing the hammer down now was like dumping bad news on a Friday before the weekend.

And I think the NFL won't appeal the Watson decision also....citing "time served" in 2021.

What a load of sh*t. So now Brady turned Gronk against BB? I guess BB trying to trade Gronk to Detroit had nothing to do with it? I guess Brady was supposed to play defence against the Phins when they scored with 33 seconds left to win the game?
Well if he hadn’t thrown a pick 6 and played poorly against an awful team no one would have had to play defense at the end and they would have been a 2 seed.

Teams doubled Edelman

Harry, Dorsett and Watson were his primary receivers

James White lead the team in receptions down the stretch

I'm sure you watched the games
Of course I did and it was by far the worst Brady ever played as a patriot.

Don't have time to read the whole thread so 'scuse me if somebody already posted this: I want to see Don Shula's reaction live. I want to see that self-righteous full of **** twit have a mic shoved in his face for his reaction. But he will have no comment because he's a hypocrite
Also because he's (thankfully) dead, but sure.

Well if he hadn’t thrown a pick 6 and played poorly against an awful team no one would have had to play defense at the end and they would have been a 2 seed.
So no fault at all on the D for allowing Ryan Fitzpatrick to drive the field at the end of the game? So it was on Brady that he had no TE, and the worst WR package in the league? So no matter what everything was Brady’s fault.

The HOF game is on Thursday....so bringing the hammer down now was like dumping bad news on a Friday before the weekend.
100% agree.

The NFL had full control of when the Ross Bomb was going to be dropped, and chose to drop it a day after the Watson news to give the media something else to talk about.

Of course I did and it was by far the worst Brady ever played as a patriot.
I think 2009 was his worst. That's just me

100% agree.

The NFL had full control of when the Ross Bomb was going to be dropped, and chose to drop it a day after the Watson news to give the media something else to talk about.
Takes away attention from the Watson situation as well

It would be interesting to know why the hammer is coming down on Ross right now for this tampering thing when the Snyder stuff (I won't recount his various scandals because it would take 10,000 words), would appear to be so much more egregious and outlandish (whatever you think of Ross, at least he hasn't had to flee the country like Snyder to avoid Congressional subpoena). Maybe the hammer came down on Ross now just to distract from the Watson fiasco, but it would seem to me that there must be more to the story.
Ain't NFL owners just a nice bunch of fellas?

I think Tampa fans will get to see what "checked-out Toamie" looks like this season.

I dont know about that, tbh

He is in a super team where he "recruited" guys that he approve of, has control of the offense play calling and maybe even over coaching staff

and, more importantly, it's his last hurrah, probably. With his post-career set, I dont know what else he needs to worry about, besides this year

A lot of speculation in this thread. We have no idea how much time Brady spent talking to anyone in the Dolphins organization in 2019. They were pursuing him but he may have been saying he'll decide later. We don't know. At the end of the day he chose Tampa Bay so whatever those talks were between him and the Dolphins obviously didn't go to far.
Totally. It was probably just one conversation with Brady asking about good sushi options in the Miami area.

fark_rO9NVmNcwdAfae85SCagjUMrBRI.jpg

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back