PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Once again, Sally Jenkins nails it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that has something to do with contracts not being guaranteed.....

as for going back, I never left..........but my wallet did.......I think the best approach is to simply not send a penny towards the NFL...I mean its hard to nitpick your cable bill, but that's as far as it goes
If you watch the games, the league gets your money.

(And please don't go into the silliness of how you're not a Neilsen family so you don't count; even the people who are not Neilsen families are statistically accounted for).

Suit yourself. Just seems like an awful waste of time. The last thing I would do is spend my time on the forum of a sport that I didn't care about.
As you say, suit yourself. The last thing I would do is give the perpetrators of this mess a single cent of my money.

(And please don't go into the silliness of how you're not a Neilsen family so you don't count; even the people who are not Neilsen families are statistically accounted for).

I need you to explain what money they get from me.....I mean outside of my cable bill but I have a premium package that is about the channels my wife wants and the NFL crap is included......beyond that can you tell me how? 98.5 provides the audio so the commercials are irrelevant

So who gets money when I watch Archer?

Last edited:

I think you've said this before (might have been someone else) but haven't offered any proof that it is so. Got some?

Some members have posted information regarding the backgrounds of the appellate judges. Can I ask where this information is found? Thanks

I need you to explain what money they get from me.....I mean outside of my cable bill but I have a premium package that is about the channels my wife wants and the NFL crap is included......beyond that can you tell me how? 98.5 provides the audio so the commercials are irrelevant
The more people that watch (or listen to) games, the more the networks can charge for advertising, which leads to higher value network packages for the league, which is a primary source of revenue.

Being that this isn't the 1980's, the statistical methodology used to determine the true value of a program's audience goes beyond simple Neilsen ratings, so we are all being statistically sampled whether we have a Neilsen box or not.

The more people that watch (or listen to) games, the more the networks can charge for advertising, which leads to higher value network packages for the league, which is a primary source of revenue.

Being that this isn't the 1980's, the statistical methodology used to determine the true value of a program's audience goes beyond simple Neilsen ratings, so we are all being statistically sampled whether we have a Neilsen box or not.

Right....but I'm buying the same cable package whether or not I watch football......beyond that, the NFL hasn't gotten a dime from me since 2005....and that has nothing to do with disappointment......I just got sick of going to Foxboro

Tom Brady’s lawyers missed the point: his innocence

As Deflategate wore on, the lawyers representing Tom Brady forgot to do something essential. They forgot to argue their client’s innocence. Instead Jeffrey Kessler and the NFL Players Association got so lost in pushing their interpretation of the collective bargaining agreement and trying to trim the powers of Commissioner Roger Goodell that they failed to drive home the essential point: How can a player be suspended for “conduct detrimental” when there was no conduct to begin with?

She is 100% right in blaming Kessler and the NFLPA for arguing against Goodell's powers instead of arguing that Brady is innocent!!!
I know I'm MMQB-ing here but that has always bothered me. I'm not a legal-eagle but read enough and understood the NFLPA's legal strategy to believe that it was a reasonable approach- and it worked with Berman.

Its clear that Kessler underestimated the CoAs latitude and perception in how it was reviewing this case. Whether he became"flustered" not sure. However, it does seem to be basic common sense that a lawyer's job is to argue for his client innocence. Seems that Kessler's was laser-focused on his REAL client's rights and innocence which was the NFLPA and not Brady which is why he was caught off guard when Chin hammered him.

Pisses me off....

I think you've said this before (might have been someone else) but haven't offered any proof that it is so. Got some?
Do I have "proof" of how the world of media statistical analysis, web analytics and audience sampling works? Yes, I do, but I can't exactly post a couple hundred pages of text, articles, and professional publications I have in my personal library.

Suffice to say they do statistical sampling beyond mere Neilsen numbers. Obviously, any single one of us could disappear and it wouldn't matter..... but if, say, half a million of us disappeared, then even if not a single one of those half million were Neilsen families, they would still notice.

Do I have "proof" of how the world of media statistical analysis, web analytics and audience sampling works? Yes, I do, but I can't exactly post a couple hundred pages of text, articles, and professional publications I have in my personal library.

Suffice to say they do statistical sampling beyond mere Neilsen numbers. Obviously, any single one of us could disappear and it wouldn't matter..... but if, say, half a million of us disappeared, then even if not a single one of those half million were Neilsen families, they would still notice.
So, the league/networks/advertisers DON'T know whether an individual is watching if they are not a Neilson family? If you continue to insist they do, I'm going to need to see proof.

kind of irrelevant to me as an individual........I have no interest in what the other 499,999 are doing nor do I have any control over it.....I just do what I do and just because I stare at a commercial doesn't mean it is costing me money

So, the league/networks/advertisers DON'T know whether an individual is watching if they are not a Neilson family? If you continue to insist they do, I'm going to need to see proof.
That's not what I said, and I'm not going to give you a graduate course in media analytics. You choose not to believe me and I don't really care if you want to maintain a mistaken belief.

If you think that half a million viewers could just disappear and the league wouldn't notice unless they were Neilsen families, you're sadly mistaken.

kind of irrelevant to me as an individual........I have no interest in what the other 499,999 are doing nor do I have any control over it.....I just do what I do and just because I stare at a commercial doesn't mean it is costing me money
Staring at a commercial costs you your time, and your time is a valuable asset. That's why networks pay billions of dollars to the league and advertisers pay billions of dollars to the networks.

That's not what I said, and I'm not going to give you a graduate course in media analytics. You choose not to believe me and I don't really care if you want to maintain a mistaken belief.

If you think that half a million viewers could just disappear and the league wouldn't notice unless they were Neilsen families, you're sadly mistaken.

You said I (an individual) couldn't use the excuse that, since I'm not a Nielson family, they won't know whether I tune in or not. Since I'm not half a million viewers, I'd say that's BS. They won't know and I won't factor into their ratings. It's all moot to me since I won't be watching, but stop with the BS already.

They don't know whether an individual is watching. Prove they do or stop saying it.

Sorry, but Brady's team was constrained to make arguments based in the law. Goodell's findings as the arbitrator put in place by the CBA were imprinted on the record as "facts" because that's what the law and the CBA demand. Brady would've been thrown out of court on day 1 if his only basis for appeal was that Goodell's facts are wrong. There needs to be a legal anchor to which they attach their arguments - hence the emphasis about notice and fairness of the arbitration process.

It seems legalistic, but that's because it is. Kessler defended Brady in the court of law. Jenkins defends him in the court of public opinion. Those two things are very distinct.

Disagree completely. That's what everyone thought going in but Clement and the justices went right down the road of presumed guilt and in retrospect that it's the battle they should have fought. The NFL conceded in Bermans court that they had no evidence and that point should have been hammered home, with the focus Brady's innocence and a rigged process.

You said I (an individual) couldn't use the excuse that, since I'm not a Nielson family, they won't know whether I tune in or not. Since I'm not half a million viewers, I'd say that's BS. They won't know and I won't factor into their ratings. It's all moot to me since I won't be watching, but stop with the BS already.

They don't know whether an individual is watching. Prove they do or stop saying it.
What I said was:

Obviously, any single one of us could disappear and it wouldn't matter..... but if, say, half a million of us disappeared, then even if not a single one of those half million were Neilsen families, they would still notice.

Let me know what part of that you don't understand.

Staring at a commercial costs you your time, and your time is a valuable asset. That's why networks pay billions of dollars to the league and advertisers pay billions of dollars to the networks.

I could stare at the ceiling during the TV timeouts....sometimes I do refill my beer or get some more meat or go take a leak, but the TV timeouts while watching a game don't have much value.....I'm not going to mow my wife or go kick my lawn at that time

Disagree completely. That's what everyone thought going in but Clement and the justices went right down the road of presumed guilt and in retrospect that it's the battle they should have fought. The NFL conceded in Bermans court that they had no evidence and that point should have been hammered home, with the focus Brady's innocence and a rigged process.

shoulda coulda woulda....here we are

what's your next move?

I could stare at the ceiling during the TV timeouts....sometimes I do refill my beer or get some more meat or go take a leak, but the TV timeouts while watching a game don't have much value.....I'm not going to mow my wife or go kick my lawn at that time
Yes, advertisers are well aware of the fact that people tend to tune out when the commercials come on. Believe me, all of the above has been accounted for.

shoulda coulda woulda....here we are

what's your next move?

That would be to put you on ignore because all you really are is a much less literate version of Andy Johnson. All you do is troll this forum looking for little slap fights to get into and b.tch about people posting in threads you monopolize. If you ever contributed anything it might be different but the truth it's that you don't know sh.t about football and haven't ever contributed anything other than gripes to this forum.

Adios douchebag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference