PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Bills

Status
Not open for further replies.
and on the subject of the Alonso play....that was worse than this.....Gronk was a player losing control at the end of a frustrating play.....that's happened in the NFL since time began

the Alonso play went against all the rule changes the NFL has made to protect players.....they put in the slide rule (flacco was down the moment he started a feet first slide) and he targeted the head (multiple rules put into place against this now)

alonso came in from 4 steps away and lowered the boom on a QB that had started a slide and given himself up....he was essentially down

broke multiple rules designed to protect players......and received a 9k fine......mostly because the ravens and dolphins aren't relevant....there was little media outcry outside miami and baltimore.....there was a little media attention, briefly, but no real ESPN drama over the non-suspension

gronk was dumb, gronk was wrong.....he was flagged, could/should have been ejected....and should be fined

if he IS suspended, where is the consistency? how can the NFL even claim to evenly enforced their rules at this point (sarcasm, we know they don't)

and on the subject of the Alonso play....that was worse than this.....Gronk was a player losing control at the end of a frustrating play.....that's happened in the NFL since time began

the Alonso play went against all the rule changes the NFL has made to protect players.....they put in the slide rule (flacco was down the moment he started a feet first slide) and he targeted the head (multiple rules put into place against this now)

alonso came in from 4 steps away and lowered the boom on a QB that had started a slide and given himself up....he was essentially down

broke multiple rules designed to protect players......and received a 9k fine......mostly because the ravens and dolphins aren't relevant....there was little media outcry outside miami and baltimore.....there was a little media attention, briefly, but no real ESPN drama over the non-suspension

gronk was dumb, gronk was wrong.....he was flagged, could/should have been ejected....and should be fined

if he IS suspended, where is the consistency? how can the NFL even claim to evenly enforced their rules at this point (sarcasm, we know they don't)
Last week Bobby McCain threw a punch and was thrown out of the game. Another had a late hit. Neither was suspended.

It's rare for Patriots but late hits and out of bound hits happen all the time, every week.

Not that the NFL is consistent in anything but when actual punches aren't suspensions I can't see why Gronk's play would.

Pats are rolling right now. Even when the offense has sputtered it doesn't matter much because the defense isn't giving up points.

I haven't felt there has been a game the past seven weeks where the outcome was ever in doubt.

however, punches by rule result in ejection

late hits are given 15 yard penalties

It's the patriots. What Gronk did was the equivalent of dropping a nuke on someone. Hide the children. The world will end. The mediots tomorrow will cause a firestorm, a few analysts will cry, and the nfl will respond with some ridiculous 2yr suspension.

There are so many Gronk threads after today's game, and I wanted to add something about that spectacular catch he made (I'm sure it has already been mentioned in this thread), but it was incredible.

I asked a couple of passing/less-than-even-casual football fans in my household to watch the replay, and they were wowed. A guy that tall and that big should not have speed and coordination like that. He is a monster.

That was an incredible play, one of the top 5 to 10 plays of the day in the NFL!

Here’s what I can’t fathom. This win is a division win against a team fighting for a playoff spot, that’s fact one, 2. The pats playing on the road in a hostile environment..3. The pats win 23-3.

Ok, this is a good win in my book and you’ll most likely never hear me say anything negative about a win like this on the road. So, I’m confused about all the news stories claiming this was a bad game. It’s real hard for me to comprehend that. How’s 23-3 bad?

I’ll take that score every game even at home and smile ear to damned ear

Take away the non-interception interception, and Brady's game is more than fine.

While my reaction watching was that PI or more likely holding would have negated the INT that would not have happened were Gronk not mugged, recall the play where TFB hit the defender in the numbers. There were other opportunities missed (q.v. Josh McD) and throws off target. I'm holding TFB to TFB standards, not NFL QB standards.

... I wanted to add something about that spectacular catch he made (I'm sure it has already been mentioned in this thread), but it was incredible.

I asked a couple of passing/less-than-even-casual football fans in my household to watch the replay, and they were wowed. A guy that tall and that big should not have speed and coordination like that. He is a monster.

That was an incredible play, one of the top 5 to 10 plays of the day in the NFL!

yep. the problem is he is treated like that by opponents and refs too often.

the intentional dive on “#27“'s head was very ugly and should get penalized . but with a little knowledge of human beings and context of Gronk's monster treatment (not as a monster player but a monster creature) not too hard to understand.
____

on the positive side . this panther beauty certainly added another wrinkle to his unstoppable monstrosity..

While my reaction watching was that PI or more likely holding would have negated the INT that would not have happened were Gronk not mugged, recall the play where TFB hit the defender in the numbers. There were other opportunities missed (q.v. Josh McD) and throws off target. I'm holding TFB to TFB standards, not NFL QB standards.
He completed 70% of his passes for over 8 ypa.
This idea that he needs to go 30-30-500 or people critique every incompletion and call it a poor game is ludicrous.

This idea that he needs to go 30-30-500 or people critique every incompletion and call it a poor game is ludicrous.

he wasn't his sharpest......he had to move up in the pocket a lot, and wasn't super comfortable most of the day.....he missed a few open guys, he threw one bad pass that should have been picked.....i can't fault him for the actual pick, because minus the holds & uncalled DPI, that might not have been a bad pass.....they were unable to get cooks involved (waiting for the rewatch thread to see what Buffalo was doing coverage wise there).......but all in all it was a solid, workmanlike effort.....let's not forget the running game was chewing up yards, and the pats were content to take the long drives and churn on the ground; once things got rolling, TB12 made most of the throws he needed to make to extend drives

really the only concern i had with TB12 was a little sense of over-reliance on gronk....he forced a couple of balls his way (one being that ridiculous catch gronk stole away), and didn't look at a few open receivers while he locked onto 87.......it's a nice luxury to have, but we've seen this a bit in the past, and I hope it isn't a sign of things to come, and was more a result of taking what the Bills were giving

I must have skimmed this thread too fast because I did not see such a claim

he wasn't his sharpest......he had to move up in the pocket a lot, and wasn't super comfortable most of the day.....he missed a few open guys, he threw one bad pass that should have been picked.....i can't fault him for the actual pick, because minus the holds & uncalled DPI, that might not have been a bad pass.....they were unable to get cooks involved (waiting for the rewatch thread to see what Buffalo was doing coverage wise there).......but all in all it was a solid, workmanlike effort.....let's not forget the running game was chewing up yards, and the pats were content to take the long drives and churn on the ground; once things got rolling, TB12 made most of the throws he needed to make to extend drives

really the only concern i had with TB12 was a little sense of over-reliance on gronk....he forced a couple of balls his way (one being that ridiculous catch gronk stole away), and didn't look at a few open receivers while he locked onto 87.......it's a nice luxury to have, but we've seen this a bit in the past, and I hope it isn't a sign of things to come, and was more a result of taking what the Bills were giving
He targeted Gronk 11 times and completed 9. One being the dpi pick and the other on the first drive.
He will AND SHOULD throw that ball of the “ridiculous catch” to Gronk 100% if the time he has that coverage.

How can he be criticized for “locking on” to a guy he completed 9 consecutive targets to?
Should he not complete the pass because he has thrown him too many? Gronk was very open in pretty much every one, hence 9 for 9.

By the way before that dpi pick brady was 13/15 for about 170 yards in the second half.
People critiquing him are nuts.

He targeted Gronk 11 times and completed 9. One being the dpi pick and the other on the first drive.
He will AND SHOULD throw that ball of the “ridiculous catch” to Gronk 100% if the time he has that coverage.

How can he be criticized for “locking on” to a guy he completed 9 consecutive targets to?
Should he not complete the pass because he has thrown him too many? Gronk was very open in pretty much every one, hence 9 for 9.

By the way before that dpi pick brady was 13/15 for about 170 yards in the second half.
People critiquing him are nuts.

i'm not criticizing, and i said he takes what the coverage gives him

but, there have been times in the past where he locked in on gronk and forced him the ball (when he had fewer targets)......and that was clearly the 'discussion' he and josh had......wasn't a concern for this game, as i said, but something that bears watching, as it has happened in the past

Since when is holding, even "can't call 'em all" holding "dirty play"? (Not to mention that complaining about that style of defense is really rich coming from NE fans since we got to see three Lombardis thanks to that style of defense.)
Bump and run was legal back when the Pats won their first three SBs. Payton had it changed

i'm not criticizing, and i said he takes what the coverage gives him

but, there have been times in the past where he locked in on gronk and forced him the ball (when he had fewer targets)......and that was clearly the 'discussion' he and josh had..
No it wasn’t.

....wasn't a concern for this game, as i said, but something that bears watching, as it has happened in the past

The bolded led me to believe you were saying he did this yesterday.
If you are now saying he didn’t, we agree.
I’m not going to get into past games, but brady does not lock on receivers. He throws to who is open in his progressions. If one guy is open a lot (and early in progressions a lot)he gets a lot of targets.

My point is that it's gotten beyond the "TFB standard" to the point where people point to every freakin' incompletion, and the standard has become absolute perfection, which should be understood as a goal, not a requirement.

Brady always misses passes, just like every other QB. Despite that, he's still TFB. If we just take away the faux interception, Brady ends up with a QB rating of 99.5, with a 72% completion rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back