PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Day Thread- Pats beat the Jets

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

So, "Can't Find My Way Home" is a great song, eh? I would go with whichever of our two prospective starters appreciates this fact. Though I do feel Zappe has outplayed Mac this year, I have a feeling Mac just might be our guy on that basis. I have been playing the song for an hour or so, so I think I am in a position to know. I had high hopes for Zappe, but this may just be the clincher.

This post courtesy of Merlot.

No, it's where Mac is most comfortable. He always ran the Alabama offense out of the gun. The coaches need to put these young guys in the best position to have success.
Perhaps. However, 2022 has been awfully high with 90% out of the gun with 2021 being around 70%. Zappe, who had to do extensive work under center in camp and preseason because he never did much of it in college, is at 82% so far. I still think the injuries (back and ankle) may be playing a part (to your point of getting him most comfortable).

I'll be curious if the hit Jones took gets any attention. The way he initially gestured sure seemed to indicate he was concussed. Why in the world he wasn't pulled for an neurological eval is beyond me, especially after all the Tua stuff.

Again, though, credit to Jones for hanging in there and playing better afterwards. I still never felt particularly confident watching him operate, he's just a bit ... anxious/nervous, and I can feel it myself when I watch him play. Today it sorta felt like he was caught between playing hyper-disciplined vs. going out there and slingin' it.

Jones always struck me as more of a gunslinger. When he plays loose, he can hit big plays, but unfortunately is turnover prone. When he plays disciplined, he operates with better timing/rhythm and limits the turnovers (relatively speaking) but seems to really struggle with generating big plays and driving the ball downfield.

There's just something ... missing. I'll grant that he's still injured and that was his first full game back, so there will be some rust, but even at his best I never felt particularly confident in him. Unfortunately some of the bad habits still came out (to a lesser extent than earlier in the season) and he continues to be turnover prone (even when he isn't actually turning the ball over). It very much feels like we're watching the exact same player as last season (perhaps in better shape and with some more functional strength) who's now been given more autonomy but isn't elevating his game simultaneously.

Again, though, happy to get the win. Really pleased with the defense and special teams.

For those complaining about the offense, the Patriots are #3 in points scored through eight weeks. They are 8th in fewest points allowed.

Yet, they left a ton of points on the table for not finishing those drives that resulted in field goals. Matt needs to figure something out in the Red Zone. In support of those complaining about the lack of reliance on the tight ends, I salute you. The Red Zone is typically Tight End time, but for some reason, the Patriots are not firing a pass at one or both TEs inside the 20.
I'm seeing that Pats are 17th in Offensive scoring (pts/game) through 8 weeks. Teams have had byes. Also seeing 13th for defense pts/game allowed.

I'll be curious if the hit Jones took gets any attention. The way he initially gestured sure seemed to indicate he was concussed. Why in the world he wasn't pulled for an neurological eval is beyond me, especially after all the Tua stuff.

Again, though, credit to Jones for hanging in there and playing better afterwards. I still never felt particularly confident watching him operate, he's just a bit ... anxious/nervous, and I can feel it myself when I watch him play. Today it sorta felt like he was caught between playing hyper-disciplined vs. going out there and slingin' it.

Jones always struck me as more of a gunslinger. When he plays loose, he can hit big plays, but unfortunately is turnover prone. When he plays disciplined, he operates with better timing/rhythm and limits the turnovers (relatively speaking) but seems to really struggle with generating big plays and driving the ball downfield.

There's just something ... missing. I'll grant that he's still injured and that was his first full game back, so there will be some rust, but even at his best I never felt particularly confident in him. Unfortunately some of the bad habits still came out (to a lesser extent than earlier in the season) and he continues to be turnover prone (even when he isn't actually turning the ball over). It very much feels like we're watching the exact same player as last season (perhaps in better shape and with some more functional strength) who's now been given more autonomy but isn't elevating his game simultaneously.

Again, though, happy to get the win. Really pleased with the defense and special teams.

Thanks for a balanced view and great post.

I understand what you are saying but there were almost moments today when Mac was not thinking. Almost. And that is better than before.

On that 4th and 1, the Jets safety jumped Myers route and Mac held the ball and then threw it over the safety. Unfortunately Myers stopped. That play felt like a TD if it was Brady and Edelman.

On the called back interception, I wonder if Mac or Myers was wrong. Either way I don't like Mac throwing in the vicinity of 3 defenders.

The Colts are bad, then the Bye, then the Jets again. After that, let's hope Mac looks a lot more comfortable.

So, "Can't Find My Way Home" is a great song, eh? I would go with whichever of our two prospective starters appreciates this fact. Though I do feel Zappe has outplayed Mac this year, I have a feeling Mac just might be our guy on that basis. I have been playing the song for an hour or so, so I think I am in a position to know. I had high hopes for Zappe, but this may just be the clincher.
Regarding the beginning question…..
Yes, your god damned right it is.

I think play design sucks. I have no qualms with play calling, but when your spacing is constantly messed up, that's on the coaches. Take the 4th down play when Mac faked and ran it. You have to give your QB an option there. Horrible play design. And I've seen a lot of that this year. With fewer weapons ast year, we had much better play design.
Speaking of last year, Boy Genius got himself shut out by the juggernaut that is the NO Saints today. Has he forgotten how to design plays?

Mac breaks rookie records last year at QB, took his team to playoffs, had high completion %.. he looked the part..

Now new scheme, new system that doesn't involve the use seemingly of Mac's strength.. idk did anything change? Did anyone leave the organization? Don't get all the mac hate..
Give the new scheme/system stuff a rest. This is 98 percent the same stuff the Pats have run for the past 22 years.

The focus on replacing Mac with a draft pick is not really useful at this point. Long time til the draft and no guarantees there.

Give the new scheme/system stuff a rest. This is 98 percent the same stuff the Pats have run for the past 22 years.

And it seems the new variations/tweaks are in fact geared towards Jones' preferences and strengths, with his input.

The assertion that the offensive changes (whatever they are, exactly) are happening in spite of Jones' play-style is plain wrong ... we have good evidence (including from Jones himself) that the offense was moved in a direction he is more familiar/comfortable with this past offseason.

I guess it's time to stop talking about the (really pretty good) backup now. We have our starter back, and we can be happy Mac got another W under his belt, something to build on. And yes, Bill can be happy he's got a kid to try if really goes south with Mac. Right now I'm glad that he seems to be (maybe) leveling off out of that sophomore slump.

Looking forward to more signs of MJ being comfortable & in synch back there next week, & making quick accurate reads.

And they put Zappe in play action far more than Mac. Why? Because we saw him from the shotgun near exclusively last week in the second where he absolutely sucked. Far worse than Jones. So maybe we play Zappe on downs where they play play action and Jones on plays they are in shotgun.

Again, they aren't giving Jones enough play action plays. That's not on him. That on the play calling.

I do love how you think Mac sucks because they don't do the play action this year even though he was great at it this year and the reason they don't call play action for him is he sucks at it. Where is your proof? What are his numbers out of play action?
You think they're giving him less play action for ****s and giggles? To try and sabotage him? Or maybe there's something they see in practice that we aren't privy to.

Who would have thought at this stage of the season we would have had a better record than the Packers and Tampa....

Let's discuss!!!!!
I would feel better if we had a better record than the Jets and Miami, which is all that matters.

1667190878480.png

Our problem is Patricia.

But those of you wanting to dump Mac (for who?) should look around the league and realize that there is a lot of bad QBing. Just look at the last 2 QB classes (and the QB classes before that aren't any good either).

The chances of landing a stud like Mahomes are minimal. Should be obvious when you see the amount of picks expended on Trubisky, Mayfield, Mariota, Darnold, Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields and Mac. That's a huge number of picks for mediocre QBing.

Or, you wait to see these guys develop.

Because even players like Herbert are struggling.

Instead, you see vets like Dalton and Cousins playing well.

That should tell you how much seasoning you need from QBs.
Tua & Hurts are killing it, and they're from recent drafts.

I would feel better if we had a better record than the Jets and Miami, which is all that matters.

View attachment 46801
Hottest last place Team.
bliss alexa GIF

He'd probably just throw it right back to Bill.
Actually, it's Franklin-Meyers that should get the game ball. If not for his late hit, the pick-6 counts and we're down 17-3 going into the half. Then it's Mac throwing desperation passes trying to come from behind in the 2nd half.

Actually, it's Franklin-Meyers that should get the game ball. If not for his late hit, the pick-6 counts and we're down 17-3 going into the half. Then it's Mac throwing desperation passes trying to come from behind in the 2nd half.
Glad it didn't get to that.

I like zap and mac isn't playing up to hi capability, but im not throwing the towel in on jones for a new shiny object that has played ten quarters of football. Thats a thing ive noticed on this board over the last 15 years or so. All it takes is for a player to under perform and all of a sudden they suck, A good example of this was gronks first year whenhe had 3 fumbles inone game and many posters on here where calling for him to be cut. The same for edelman, and ninkovitch. Theres a group of impatient 'what have you done for me lately' posters
We don't have time for that.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back