PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Day Thread- Pats beat the Jets

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

I just re-watched the INT that wasn't due to RTP.

I'll put it this way: had that been called against a Patriots' defender, I would be absolutely livid.

Was it technically a foul? Yeah, I guess so. It was a fraction late and he just barely launched himself. But if it was late, it was only just late, and if it was a launch, it was narrowly a launch.

I really don't see where that throw was going. Even if Meyers breaks outside, the defender is playing with leverage there and at best there's a meeting at the ball, maybe still an INT.

You've posted this same thing 3 times, yet you continue to ignore Hurts and Tua that had 7 TDs / 0 Ints today and are both playing lights out.
Context is important. Not to be a Mac apologist but he's under duress constantly and has no reliable target other than Jakobi Meyers. Who are the other two throwing to again?

Oh yeah, Hurts has a dominant O Line and AJ Brown, Devonta Smith and Dallas Goedert. And as for Tua....

I'd like to see those quick throws and end around plays go to Thorton instead of Myers.

The Pats need to draft another QB and not just a bench warmer.

Someone that can compete for starter in 2023. Going all in with Mac in 2023 is suicide.
Ok, we all have our opinions, here are the facts,

2021 Mac had a high completion %
Broke rookie records at qb not seen since Marino
Took his team to the playoffs
Came in under an ESTABLISHED offense and creative coordinator
Thrived under that system
2022 - failed coaches were brung back in to the organization asked to perform multiple duties
Offensive scheme was changed, not conducive to your qbs skill set but rather the players around him.

Gets hurt misses time , now working his way back.
Not excusing the give aways but the Offensive line has been bad all year. He showed some stones hanging in there against that ferocious front converting those 3rd downs..

So I ask, who in the draft or out there do you see that can come in this organization and deal with all the factors Mac has had to endure. Donta Hightower said it best not everyone can come in and play for the patriots.

I'll put it this way: had that been called against a Patriots' defender, I would be absolutely livid.

Was it technically a foul? Yeah, I guess so. It was a fraction late and he just barely launched himself. But if it was late, it was only just late, and if it was a launch, it was narrowly a launch.

I really don't see where that throw was going. Even if Meyers breaks outside, the defender is playing with leverage there and at best there's a meeting at the ball, maybe still an INT.

How many times do I have to say this? THE DEFENDER HIT JONES WELL AFTER HE THREW THE BALL. It wasn't just a technical foul, it was a blatant foul. Anytime you hit the QB with intention after he has thrown the ball is a blatant roughing the passer penalty. The defender was about a yard away from Jones by the time Jones got rid of the ball. If that was Zappe or Brady and they didn't call that, you would have been livid.

Last edited:

Agree. It was a horrible throw. Granted there was miscommunication but that was bad.

...and fans wonder why BB and Matt's play-calling is conservative.

Agree. It was a horrible throw. Granted there was miscommunication but that was bad.

...and fans wonder why BB and Matt's play-calling is conservative.

I have been complaining that at least up until yesterday, the play calling for Jones has been too aggressive and not too conservative. The reason why Jones struggled before he got injured was that he was hucking the ball all over the field and making mistakes rather than making more conservative throws to set up the big play. The bad throws for the most part were on him, but the play calling helped to put him in a position to fail.

And that pick six throw was a pretty conservative play. It was a miscommunication on an option route but the pass was under ten yards.

Another very odd thing is that the Easts in both conferences are leading by a wide margin (23-8 and 20-11),the Wests are next (15-16 and 14-15), both Norths are only slightly ahead with 13-17 records and the Souths in both conferences are in the last two spots (11-17-2 and 12-20). If not for the addition of a 7th playoff team some team or teams could get royally screwed. And it still may happen.
That's a testament to how good the AFC East is, I say good of course meaning the 3 teams ahead of us.. KC is still the best team in AFC, I think the bills are a excellent team, but as we had the privilege for 19 season they best hope Allen doesn't get hurt! I view us as rebuilding team with a mix of vets, young players and rookies.

We are a team that if we can get some healthy players back and continue trying to get better and get that
Its the playcalling and blocking.

Jones was a probowler last season.
Spot on, I really wish more would pay attention to this. The PLAY CALLING and BLOCKING. Mac didn't just wake up and forget how to ball. He's had nothing but great coaching since college.

Now look what he has to deal with.. I'm sure his heads spinning, do I throw it here, or throw it there.. it continues to really bother me that Hunter Henry a 6'7 target is MIA in this offense.. imagine how much better mac could be if we used the TE, like other teams use to burn us..

This should draw some love in the film room later:

This is what we should see more of in the play calling. This is the type of stuff that has been the Pats' bread and butter for decades. Short passing with some good blocking by the receivers to open up the field.

That's a testament to how good the AFC East is, I say good of course meaning the 3 teams ahead of us.. KC is still the best team in AFC, I think the bills are a excellent team, but as we had the privilege for 19 season they best hope Allen doesn't get hurt! I view us as rebuilding team with a mix of vets, young players and rookies.

We are a team that if we can get some healthy players back and continue trying to get better and get that

Spot on, I really wish more would pay attention to this. The PLAY CALLING and BLOCKING. Mac didn't just wake up and forget how to ball. He's had nothing but great coaching since college.

Now look what he has to deal with.. I'm sure his heads spinning, do I throw it here, or throw it there.. it continues to really bother me that Hunter Henry a 6'7 target is MIA in this offense.. imagine how much better mac could be if we used the TE, like other teams use to burn us..

Triumph was being sarcastic. He blames Jones for all or most of the offensive woes.

I have been complaining that at least up until yesterday, the play calling for Jones has been too aggressive and not too conservative. The reason why Jones struggled before he got injured was that he was hucking the ball all over the field and making mistakes rather than making more conservative throws to set up the big play. The bad throws for the most part were on him, but the play calling helped to put him in a position to fail.

And that pick six throw was a pretty conservative play. It was a miscommunication on an option route but the pass was under ten yards.
Yes. It was conservative yesterday- for good reason.

Yes. It was conservative yesterday- for good reason.

Because it should have been more conservative from the start. The Pats don't have the personnel to be as aggressive as how Patricia has been calling plays this year. They don't have the receiver and the o-line has been a problem beyond the QB. At least not against a good defense.

But yes, with this offensive line and Jones in a funk, they had no choice against an extremely aggressive defense. You seem to forget the offensive line being a disaster in this equation.

But even if they had Brady, the strategy would have been short passing too. Just differently.

Because it should have been more conservative from the start. The Pats don't have the personnel to be as aggressive as how Patricia has been calling plays this year. They don't have the receiver and the o-line has been a problem beyond the QB. At least not against a good defense.

But yes, with this offensive line and Jones in a funk, they had no choice against an extremely aggressive defense. You seem to forget the offensive line being a disaster in this equation.

But even if they had Brady, the strategy would have been short passing too. Just differently.
I posted earlier their line sucks so no, I didn't forget.

Triumph was being sarcastic. He blames Jones for all or most of the offensive woes.
Oh ok lol yeah, well I like Mac and I believe in him. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, especially while in a team friendly rookie contract. People that are ready to get rid of him still can't come up with a solution.. what college kid? Free agent to be, could come in this organization deal with the day to day demands, the grind the pressure, the decisions that negatively impact Mac's ascending...

BB said it before he appreciates when a player or someone on his staff let's him know something isn't working. Who do we see that will do that on his coaching staff? Surely not the volunteer play callers on offense.

I like the way you guys frame it. Never before on this site have I seen Patriot fans go out of there way to insist an INT should count as a stat. Just read your first sentence. Each and every week turnovers are called back for penalties. Who tries to count that against their own player? Unless they hate that player? That was the right call because he went high and hit him in the neck. And the ref had a better point of view than the camera because we don’t even know if it was helmet to helmet. It might’ve been.

It’s funny how Zach Wilson, who’d led the Jets to 4 straight wins heading into this game, is being compared to Ryan Leaf on this board. He made poor decisions, but can we give the defense credit for forcing poor decisions and making him pay for them?! We’re 4-4, about where I figured after week 8. Man, this board can be such a downer sometimes, yeah we’ve got lots of work to do, but we’re far from the 2008 Detroit Lions as some would have you believe

Just stop. Wilson didn’t lead them to Jack sh*t. The defense won those games despite him.

In those four games, he averaged 173 yards passing per game with one TD and two interceptions (total). He did not have a passing TD in the three games prior to yesterday and in the two games prior to yesterday put up 110 and 121 yards in the air. He has completed 55% of his passes this year, right on pace to match his piss poor 2021 completion percentage.

I knew that he was going to be a bust after I saw his first photographs from rookie minicamp.
4C5ECD34-89AB-47F1-9111-DB342BBA8273.jpeg

That is the photo of a guy who is going to soil himself and throw a horrific panic INT when big bad Matthew Judon is chasing him outside of the pocket.

I posted earlier their line sucks so no, I didn't forget.

But you seem to be saying they went conservative because of Jones. A big reason they went conservative is because they didn't think that the o-line could protect Jones long enough consistently throwing down the field. And they would be right. They could barely protect him on a lot of the short quick passes. He was sacked six times on a conservative play calling plan (and yes, you can argue at least one or two was because he held the ball too long) and his interception that counted was because Cannon lost control of his guy and he hit Jones' arm while he was throwing on one fot the few down the field passes yesterday. Imagine what it would have been if they had him hucking balls 30-40 yards down the field.

Last edited:
You've posted this same thing 3 times, yet you continue to ignore Hurts and Tua that had 7 TDs / 0 Ints today and are both playing lights out.
Tua is in his 3rd year. And the voices were out there that they needed to get rid of him. Hurts was heavily doubted. Hadn’t even secured his job. What are you talking about ?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back