PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Day Thread- Pats beat the Jets

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

McCourty riled up a lot of Patriot fans when he called them spoiled this week.

But... he was half right. A significant portion of this fandom has unrealistic expectations when it comes to the QB position. Look around the league. If there a bunch of young QBs ooking great, then OK by comparison Mac would look poor.

But that's not happening.

If 5 years ago I would've told you that the Commanders and Jets would take Cousins and Geno Smith back in a heartbeat over what they have, then you'd tell me I'm crazy.
You've posted this same thing 3 times, yet you continue to ignore Hurts and Tua that had 7 TDs / 0 Ints today and are both playing lights out.

So, seems that this game was the referendum on our QB situation? No? Then why is everyone trying to decide our future based on it? Slow your roll boys and girls.

I personally said before last game "let Zappe play until Mac is fully healed and ready, then he gets his job back unless Zappe goes on a long run of winning games." That didn't happen, they for whatever reason let Mac back last week and he shat the bed and they quickly shifted to Zappe as they should have from the start of that game. This game, Mac was fully healed, and I agreed with the decision to start him especially after Zappe had a poor second half against the Bears.

Now, I personally also said that I believed we WERE watching a Brady-Bledsoe situation unfolding, but it was early days. I still believe that's true for the reasons the others think Zappe is better than Mac, mainly pocket awareness and ability to avoid the rush and make quick decisions. But it's fine for us to ride with Mac and try to get him back to where he was last year while nurturing our backup so we can fully evaluate whether he's actually got what it takes both with Mac and with Zappe. Having two decent QBs is better than one, finding the right QB for this team is the most important single thing we can resolve for the future.

If Mac continues his hesitation late in the play he'll be in concussion protocol soon enough anyway. And I have no problem with putting pressure on him to perform; in fact I very much want to see how he performs when there is a man coming for his job, the OL is under-performing, playoffs are on the line and the fanbase is baying for blood. Then I'll know whether to ride with him or Bailey. Many QBs can perform when all is going well. I want to know which one performs best when things are going badly and who can raise the rest of the team's level at those times rather than make another mistake. That's my guy! I don't care if his name is Bailey, Michael or Moonunit.

Not sure why it just hit me, but I wonder if the shotgun is ankle related, so he doesn't have to do the 5-7 step dropback 60 times in a game.
He's been playing mainly out of shotgun all year. Has nothing to do with the ankle

It was ugly but I'll take the win.

Now I think you ride with Mac to evaluate whether he can get himself out of this situation. Even established QBs have poor sequence of games during their careers, Mac is still a product under development.

The OL is bad and the reasons for many of his mistakes, but you won't always have a top 5 OL in the NFL, most of the time that's the reality.

I missed the second half (thought the Pats were toast, so I Marky Marked). Saw the highlights, Reis said that they benched Strange for Wynn? How did that work out?

You think they're giving him less play action for ****s and giggles? To try and sabotage him? Or maybe there's something they see in practice that we aren't privy to.

So Jones was great at it last year and suck at it this year?

My guess is Patricia doesn’t want to run play action that much. He only does it with Zappe because Zappe needs a to drop back deeper in the pocket and that is the best way to do it while slowing down the pass rush.

Patricia even went away from it against Chicago with Zappe where Zappe only did two play actions and both were on the two first drives Zappe played. Most of the second half of that game, Zappe was in the shotgun. So that tells me that Patricia wants to run this offense out of the shotgun and very little play action and it has little to do with Jones or whoever the QB Is.

Macs potential and his ceiling is far from being reached, he showed the NFL he was more than capable of holding his own.. right now all the comparisons are unfair to him.. he just needs to continue to get better and play within the offense, if we continue to win then he has to get

Mac needs to go.
Would you rather have Russell Wilson?

Let's hope Andrews is back as well as Dugger and Barmore next week!!!

You said it, those are key pieces were are a team that needs all of its players available, still don't understand all the Mac hate, anyone with 20/20 Vision can see that he's asked to do much different things than under McDaniels. As we can see those plays aren't conducive to macs skill set.. it's like he's running some one else's offense.. I hope going forward more plays are called towards macs strengths, his vision, intellect and mobility to step up under pressure..

The O line was disastrous yesterday..

Now I think you ride with Mac to evaluate whether he can get himself out of this situation. Even established QBs have poor sequence of games during their careers, Mac is still a product under development.

The OL is bad and the reasons for many of his mistakes, but you won't always have a top 5 OL in the NFL, most of the time that's the reality.
The line was horrible yesterday. Mac has issues but crappy line play doesn't help matters.

No, it would be where you had control of the ball , but if slater ran backwards with control at the 20 into the EZ,

McCourty riled up a lot of Patriot fans when he called them spoiled this week.

But... he was half right. A significant portion of this fandom has unrealistic expectations when it comes to the QB position. Look around the league. If there a bunch of young QBs ooking great, then OK by comparison Mac would look poor.

But that's not happening.

If 5 years ago I would've told you that the Commanders and Jets would take Cousins and Geno Smith back in a heartbeat over what they have, then you'd tell me I'm crazy.
McCourty is right. We are spoiled, i'm spoiled. I've seen Patriot offense at it's highest level for many years. It was fun, was. McCourty is prepping the fans for .500 ball for the future. After watching this Jets game and at the halfway point i realize it's not gonna get any better. We are what we are, a middle of the pack team. What poisoned the kool-aid around here was us fans seeing a glimpse of what it was like when Zappe imatated our once powerful offense. I can't remove it once i have seen it. I'm working on it. Defense cannot, i repeat cannot stop a mobile qb i.m.o. Zach Wilson and the Jets, we are in the same boat, forever 500 at best.

I screamed at the TV in pure guttural rage twice - when Mac threw the Pick 6 that was called back and on the fourth down call that seemed like a QB run where he elected to throw to Meyers (and it falling incomplete) after rolling left.

We have seen the kid make some great decisions his rookie year, as well as some bad ones. I'm all for taking the training wheels off when needed, but the coaching needs to put him in the right place mentally. At times the offense has been much better than expected. At times, it's been as expected.

When that improves, I'm certain #10 will. Right now, he seems to be having the good instincts coached out of him and being left to figure things out entirely alone.

Speaking of the OL "thanks Dad" Ferentz play was expected. :rolleyes: It's Canon's poor play is what surprised me I am confident now Wynn ain't going anywhere. That said in the case of Mac and our current OL personnel: this is it. We are playing much better Teams in the second half let the evaluation continue.

I screamed at the TV in pure guttural rage twice - when Mac threw the Pick 6 that was called back and on the fourth down call that seemed like a QB run where he elected to throw to Meyers (and it falling incomplete) after rolling left.

We have seen the kid make some great decisions his rookie year, as well as some bad ones. I'm all for taking the training wheels off when needed, but the coaching needs to put him in the right place mentally. At times the offense has been much better than expected. At times, it's been as expected.

When that improves, I'm certain #10 will. Right now, he seems to be having the good instincts coached out of him and being left to figure things out entirely alone.

Here is a still photo from the failed 4th-and-1 attempt late in the 2nd quarter.

I'm not QB guru but it sure seems Henry is open for a 1st down if the ball was delivered to him on time. Jones' doesn't appear to be looking in the right place.

Henry seems to be a legitimate receiving option on this play given how he's entering his route and looks to be getting his head around to the QB (I only bring this up because I saw it debated earlier if Henry was setting up to block here or if he was actually an option to pass the ball to. Again, I'm not a coach, but it sure seems Henry is a viable receiving option on this play).

unknown.png

Anyone else find it wild we are 4-4 and in last place in the division? While other division s the 1st place team is sub 500?
Another very odd thing is that the Easts in both conferences are leading by a wide margin (23-8 and 20-11),the Wests are next (15-16 and 14-15), both Norths are only slightly ahead with 13-17 records and the Souths in both conferences are in the last two spots (11-17-2 and 12-20). If not for the addition of a 7th playoff team some team or teams could get royally screwed. And it still may happen.

Here is a still photo from the failed 4th-and-1 attempt late in the 2nd quarter.

I'm not QB guru but it sure seems Henry is open for a 1st down if the ball was delivered to him on time. Jones' doesn't appear to be looking in the right place.

Henry seems to be a legitimate receiving option on this play given how he's entering his route and looks to be getting his head around to the QB (I only bring this up because I saw it debated earlier if Henry was setting up to block here or if he was actually an option to pass the ball to. Again, I'm not a coach, but it sure seems Henry is a viable receiving option on this play).

unknown.png
Its the playcalling and blocking.

Jones was a probowler last season.

Its the playcalling and blocking.

Jones was a probowler last season.

Jones is not playing well (although he played fairly well in the second half especially the third quarter), but you are doing the exact same thing you are accusing others are doing. You are not acknowledging that the offensive line play has been a disaster against good defenses this year and Patricia has called a lot of bad plays.

You are accusing others of making excuses for Jones for bringing up real problems with the offense, Yet, you want excuse the poor offensive line play and Patricia's deficiencies by blaming Jones for all the problems with the offense.

Another very odd thing is that the Easts in both conferences are leading by a wide margin (23-8 and 20-11),the Wests are next (15-16 and 14-15), both Norths are only slightly ahead with 13-17 records and the Souths in both conferences are in the last two spots (11-17-2 and 12-20). If not for the addition of a 7th playoff team some team or teams could get royally screwed. And it still may happen.

It's funny that before the season the near universal belief was the AFC West was going to be the best division in football with potentially all four teams making the playoffs and the NFC East was going to be the one of worst with possibly none of the teams having a winning record. NFC East has three teams that are 6-2 or better and even the Commanders are .500. Obviously KC is still one of the best teams in the league and the Chargers have a winning record, but both the Broncos and Raiders have been disasters.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back