PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Day Thread- Pats beat the Jets

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Too lazy to parse the whole conversation, but I do think the Pats were VERY lucky - more lucky than is fair or right - to have had that pick-6 voided. I also think that the (miss)call was a major, arguably determinative, moment in the game. I actually don't see that either point is really arguable. Of course, the Pats did nothing wrong, but the refs did.

Criticiize Jones all you want. I have criticized Jones myself. He‘s been playing well this year. But don’t claim he was bailed out by the refs on a bad call when he clearly wasn’t.
No. He was bailed out by the refs on a correct call. One that happened after he had already made a terrible decision.

He doesn’t agree that it was roughing, though. So why would he say that?

But he doesn’t feel that it’s the right call. So what you would do in this situation is post the rules along with a replay and debate him. Not make some lazy ass accusation that a poster who has been here for years really just wants to see the team lose because he hates Mac.

I asked you for an example of a poster being upset that the Jets didn’t score a TD. You offered me a post in which the poster said he was glad for the call because it helped US win. Your point doesn’t hold water.

I don’t know why he said it. It was clearly roughing the passer. It wasn’t even a questionable call.

And I did respond to him showing exactly how he was wrong. It was a late hit after Jones got rid of the ball.

No. He was bailed out by the refs on a correct call. One that happened after he had already made a terrible decision.

I already blamed him for the INT. And he was bailed out by the defender. Not the refs. The refs just made the right call.

Too lazy to parse the whole conversation, but I do think the Pats were VERY lucky - more lucky than is fair or right - to have had that pick-6 voided. I also think that the (miss)call was a major, arguably determinative, moment in the game. I actually don't see that either point is really arguable. Of course, the Pats did nothing wrong, but the refs did.
It was the right call.

I have no idea what you're saying really.

It wasn't a miscall at all

Where did I say Jones is doing really well. And people around the league have been asking why the Patriots are not doing play action with Jones. That’s the mystery. No one knows why they are not doing it.

It is funny the pro Zappe crowd are saying they are running the same exact offense for both QBs. You are the only pro Zappe person who admits they are calling plays differently for both QBs.
I think people get same plays and same offense confused. Obviously they are going to run the plays they think minimize the weaknesses of their QB and maximize his strengths. They are def running the same offense, for some reason zappe seems to have more of the offensive playbook open to him right now. But yes, they are running more plays with zappe that require him to turn his back to the defense and then quickly diagnose it and move well in the pocket.

Jones isn't doing that well now, which is why I think they are keeping him in shotgun, to give him more time to read things and scramble if need be. They are giving up a huge advantage in freezing the LB's because they don't have faith Mac is running this offense well. And to be fair to the coaches, he wasn't running the JMD offense well for the last quarter of 2021 season either. Which means defensive coordinators probably already have Mac figured out and he's not adapting.

Are you also saying that it wasn’t roughing the passer? Really?

Oh, my. My simple view is that Zappe has EARNED the right, by his play this year, to be given a fair shot at competing for the starting role. I actually think it somewhat likely that Mac would WIN such a competition in the end. But he has to WIN the job. So far, he clearly has not. I think too that having to fight for the job might just toughen up a guy who, to this point, looks a little on the squishy side.

I think people get same plays and same offense confused. Obviously they are going to run the plays they think minimize the weaknesses of their QB and maximize his strengths. They are def running the same offense, for some reason zappe seems to have more of the offensive playbook open to him right now. But yes, they are running more plays with zappe that require him to turn his back to the defense and then quickly diagnose it and move well in the pocket.

Jones isn't doing that well now, which is why I think they are keeping him in shotgun, to give him more time to read things and scramble if need be. They are giving up a huge advantage in freezing the LB's because they don't have faith Mac is running this offense well. And to be fair to the coaches, he wasn't running the JMD offense well for the last quarter of 2021 season either. Which means defensive coordinators probably already have Mac figured out and he's not adapting.

Usually you run play action when you don’t trust the QB because you do want to get the defense to bite on the play action to give the QB extra beat to stand in the pocket and the receiver a step to get open. The first TD last week was set up solely because of play action because the LB covering Meyers totally bit on the play action and gave up his coverage on Meyers.

BTW, I think Zappe gets so much play action is because he takes a deep drop back which would be tough to do in a shot gun and the play action gives him a little extra time to do the extra steps.

It was the right call.

I have no idea what you're saying really.

It wasn't a miscall at all
I am saying, "really," that it was a soft-as-a-grape, new-age-NFL girlyman call. I trust that gives you the opportunity to rant you so obviously long for.

I think it was not. I think Mac took a very convincing dive.

So the fact the defender hit him after he threw the ball was ok? Jones had already gotten rid of the ball. A defender can’t hit him after that.

I am saying, "really," that it was a soft-as-a-grape, new-age-NFL girlyman call. I trust that gives you the opportunity to rant you so obviously long for.

Watch the play again and look where the ball is when he hit Jones. It is at the about the 50 second mark. Spoiler: You can’t answer that because the ball is gone and out of the camera shot at the time of the hit.

So the fact the defender hit him after he threw the ball was ok? Jones had already gotten rid of the ball. A defender can’t hit him after that.
Oh, boo hoo. What are ya, in HR? What? He got triggered?

Oh, boo hoo. What are ya, in HR?

Yes, I get you hate Jones. But if it was Zappe at QB and they didn’t call it, you would be irate.

The real question re Mac is: is he tough enough? We are not helping him by treating him like some whiny college chick waving an asinine placard regarding the plight of wallflowers in America's frat culture..

Watched the game late as I had family stuff to do earlier. Happy for Mac, he needed the W. Pats D was damn good, but man, Wilson is the sh*ts. JETE will have to look for a QB again because he isn't it.

I don't hate Jones. I actually suspect he will Win the competition, but HE HAS TO FIGHT FOR IT.

I don’t get why we don’t have a thread for the other games anymore.

The Bills are currently playing a different sport than anyone else. This is nuts.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back