PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Occam's Razor applied to the JG situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yopats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
This is TB12's last year.

Why are all these experts like Lombardi, Scheffter, King etc so adamant that they are keeping JG?

1. BB is using them to drive up price for a massive trade for JG.

2. BB has info we don't have. Info that won't allow him to trade JG to 4 #1's.

I much prefer #1 in my reality that TB12 will play for a number of years.

Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.

In other words, take the evidence at face value. If the reports are that they want to keep Garoppolo, maybe they just want to keep him.

For what it's worth, I don't think they're set on keeping him.

Because in the NFL, having a good quarterback is everything. Garrappolo can clearly thrive in New England. They have him for another year under contract. What happens if Brady's play declines at age 40 or if Brady gets injured? There is no other position or draft picks that would offset that loss, especially if Brady's career appears to be in jeopardy.

Also, his trade value would be similar next year if they franchise and trade him, just like they did with Matt Cassell. By rushing to trade him a year early, they are potentially throwing away the entire career of a great quarterback due to impatience.

Why are all these experts like Lombardi, Scheffter, King etc so adamant that they are keeping JG?

Occam's Razor contradicts the very first sentence of this post. Why are you assuming something which is completely contrary to all evidence and all statements on the matter?

Can the pats afford three qbs on the roster?

Can the pats afford three qbs on the roster?
At their current deals, sure. After all, they did it last year. But the Patriots are not going to give Garoppolo a huge deal (or franchise tag) to stay on as a backup (despite what some in here think)

Keep him doesn't mean it's Brady's last year.

1. Keep him because he's the best backup and Brissett isn't ready to fill that role yet.
2. Keep him because the Pats haven't received a break the bank offer yet.
3. Keep him because he has a great Lasagna recipe.

They could just keep him to see how Brady performs next year. The year after that they'll have Brissett.

Occam's Razor sounds sharper than CMGI's. I mean Gillette's.

I think they really want to keep him and keep Brady til he declines [could get hairy, but that's unavoidable. who decides "decline?"] Always the option to trade, while that is still feasible.

I do not think they see Brisset as a near equal substitute. Green QB who displayed outstanding composure, but not comparable at this time IMO.

If Brady looks good a few more, I could see them resigning Garop. Lots of ways to structure contracts and they definitely know how to win by filling in with lower priced talent.

BTW Schefter has said his sources tell him that the Patriots are more likely to extend Garoppolo long term than trade him this year.

BTW Schefter has said his sources tell him that the Patriots are more likely to extend Garoppolo long term than trade him this year.
Question - would they extend Brady and Jimmy G? Just curious as they do share an agent.
I apologize for not posting the source, but I read something this morning that there were some small rumblings that Jimmy G really wants to play.
Is there anyway Jimmy G starts for the Pats this year? I put it at 0.0001% but crazier things have happened.
The above are all actual questions and I do not have any of the answers.

At their current deals, sure. After all, they did it last year. But the Patriots are not going to give Garoppolo a huge deal (or franchise tag) to stay on as a backup (despite what some in here think)
I was thinking more about the roster spot.

Occam's Razor would imply they really just want to keep him.

Occam's razor, applied to the draft and BB's drafting history, simply says that at least one of the Butler/JAG duo is likely gone.

Now that would be interesting. And would set the cat amongst the media pigeons.

A general question. For the sake of argument, lets assume 2018 is Brady's last year. Would it be possible to create a long-term contract with a low cap hit in year one of an extension (ie 2018) with the bigger money to come when JG is actually starting? Contracts are not my thing.

What I posted in the 'Cook's deal sealed JAG's fate' thread has relevance here (too lazy to retype):
to me, . . .

I am also slowly being convinced by shefter/reiss/Lombardi that the Pats are looking at JAG as their insurance policy for up to the next TWO* YEARS against these teams like the Jill's boards posters who said: "we can't beat them, so just take out TB's knees". As well as possibly, the heir. So that trade looks less and less likely.

but I always thought if it (jag trade) happened, it would occur ON draft day and not before. If BB has a specific 1st rnd player in mind as value for JAG, he wants to know who is in front of him/his guy is still there and not trade for 12 and then someone jumps to 11 and gets his guy.

*I am starting to think that a franchise tag could be viewed as an acceptable insurance policy for a 2d year as well. TB only played 15 games this year. Next year, you are looking at 19 games, hopefully. That is a 25-30% increase in wear-tear (not to mention everyone brings the A game to SB champs syndrome). What are the chances over that two-year span he doesn't sit out 2-4 games in one of the two seasons at age 40+????? JAG can ensure you keep HFA or bye week or ?perfect season? -if that is what BB is aiming at. Might be worth all those $s if you can keep rest of pay roster in line for a year (supposes TB has no more than 2 left).

Depending on how much TB dead money can be shifted into the year after he quits and how much he wants to play for in 2018, if that is all reasonable (which I think cap-technically possible); then keeping both for two years is doable. They had 50M in cap space a few days ago. Sit could be repeated especially if cap grows (as unrealistic as that seems to me re: the bspn demise), as many expect.

Count me as "some in here". :)

I joined Occam's Razor Club: 16 games worth of expensive cartridges that will never be used unless the expensive Gillette Fusion tears an ACL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes