PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's last year as a Patriot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't anyone here read QMs post about Brady's contract and Cap space impact in 2018? I guess not!
It's a disincentive to move on from Brady that has to be factored in.

Don't kid yourself though. If God forbid, Brady collapses this year and is not performing, and I'm not talking about just one game at Arrowhead here but really just not able to get the job done anymore, Belichick will take that cap hit to clear his roster and set up the new team around Garoppolo or whoever else is his current best option at starting quarterback.

More than that though I'd honestly expect Brady to see the writing on the wall himself in that case and render the whole thing moot by retiring. But if he can't make himself do that because he's still convinced he can work out his issues, but BB has reason to be skeptical, BB will trigger a transition if he becomes convinced that's the best way to move the franchise forward, and the cap space issue, while being a thing he factors into the decision, won't stop him.

For the record, I don't see the above scenario as likely. Just possible.

Brady won't play anywhere else. This is not some kind of romanticized view but purely pragmatic

New England (and maybe the Texans) are the only place where he has a shot at playing successfully for another 2-4 years. We have heard how difficult it is for players to gain Brady's trust. Also, he is still elite because the coaching staff here knows exactly how to empasize his strengths and how to use him.

How about an entire new team, new system and new set of coaches ? At that age ?

He knows this as well. Nobody who is rebuilding or sucks will trade for a 40y+ QB and Brady won't acccept playing anywhere where he can't actually compete on a high level.

While it made sense for players like Favre (the gunslinger prototype) or Manning (Mr. 3-4 plays in the playbook) to continueon somewhere else there is just no way Brady has the time at his age to go to a team that then needs to install an entirely new offense that suits him and acquire someadditional players that can play in it

First, I don't believe Brady won't play anywhere else if the Pats released him and he still is playing at a top level. I think he wouldn't go to a team that is rebuilding other than maybe San Fran.

Second, there is no way the Pats will pay both Brady and Garoppolo next year. The only way they can keep him is to either franchise him (a cap hit of something like $22 million) or give him very good starter money to sit on the bench. Brady already has a $22 million cap hit next year. So the Pats would have anywhere from $34-45 million of their 2018 cap tied to the QB position if they keep him.

Third, it is almost guaranteed that both Brady and Garoppolo will not be on the Pats' 2018 roster. It just isn't going to happen. Garoppolo isn't going to take less to sit on the bench and wait for Brady to retire. If you want him to stay, he will need to be paid as a starting QB to hold a clipboard. I don't see the Pats doing that.

I would say definitely .............. maybe

all I will say is that herein lies the value of holding onto JG for 1 more year......that is there is ANY sign of age related issues with Brady, then the option to have the next guy is imperative

I am not saying it will, but it would not be a shock to see something Brady does become less effective because of age.....because it does happen to everyone

JG is nothing but cheap insurance should Brady get injured in 2017. Nothing more nothing less. Come the end of the season next year, BB will re-evaluate the situation and determine what the best course of action is. Very simple.

JG is nothing but cheap insurance should Brady get injured in 2017. Nothing more nothing less.

Well that certainly isn't true, because if it were, you'd trade him because a good backup/insurance guy isn't as valuable as what you could get for a guy that at least a few teams have pegged as a potential starting quarterback of some skill.

If you're trying to argue that starting QB isn't a role Garoppolo is likely to occupy on the 2017 New England Patriots then I agree with you, but if that's where you're going with this, you summed it up very awkwardly.

Come the end of the season next year, BB will re-evaluate the situation and determine what the best course of action is. Very simple.

It's not going to take Belichick to the end of next season. I expect Belichick to take a quarterback in this draft in the 6th round, or else sign a UDFA. I expect him to be constantly appraising Brady, Garoppolo, Brissett and this new quarterback and will make decisions over the course of the season.

I think it's very possible that Garoppolo goes at the deadline to a team on the bubble who thinks he'll put them in.

Or I could see him getting dealt at training camp once BB had a cahance to look at Brady's measurables.

The point is, NWIH Belichick of all people waits until next season to evaluate quarterback of all positions.

Well that certainly isn't true, because if it were, you'd trade him because a good backup/insurance guy isn't as valuable as what you could get for a guy that at least a few teams have pegged as a potential starting quarterback of some skill.

If you're trying to argue that starting QB isn't a role Garoppolo is likely to occupy on the 2017 New England Patriots then I agree with you, but if that's where you're going with this, you summed it up very awkwardly.

It's not going to take Belichick to the end of next season. I expect Belichick to take a quarterback in this draft in the 6th round, or else sign a UDFA. I expect him to be constantly appraising Brady, Garoppolo, Brissett and this new quarterback and will make decisions over the course of the season.

I think it's very possible that Garoppolo goes at the deadline to a team on the bubble who thinks he'll put them in.

Or I could see him getting dealt at training camp once BB had a cahance to look at Brady's measurables.

The point is, NWIH Belichick of all people waits until next season to evaluate quarterback of all positions.

My apologies, I'll rephrase. JG is a good quarterback from what we've all seen. Obviously BB and the pats organization have faith in JG, and that means a lot.

Given the fact that he is getting paid close to nothing, his value for 2017 is through the roof for the Patriots. We aren't paying him a lot, and "should" something happen with Brady, JG will step in. For what we are paying him, there is absolutely no reason to get rid of him regardless of what the offer is for 2017.

As for 2018, yes I'm sure BB will make his decision well before the season is over, but I was trying to say that by the end of the season, i'm sure it will be re-evaluated if Brady is still going strong and improving, or, on the decline to the point where BB would consider keeping JG as a serious contender for starting QB.

I'm all for Brady staying for 2, 4, hell even 8 years if he has it in him. However due to his age and the league they play in, we need a good back up. JG is far too valuable to the patriots line up to give him away for what, a few draft picks?

Come 2018 I agree we can't keep him if Brady is still going strong. But lets see how things work out half way through the season before determining whats going to happen with the future QB position for the patriots. Lots of "ifs" out there.

We don't know what was offered. We don't know what will be offered before the draft. A cheap backup QB has value to BB. If that value is more than what is being offered, minus whatever value he will have next year at this time with a frachise tag, then JG will spend the year with the Pats. If some team offers more he will be gone. It really is quite simple. We just don't have any of the values so we have to listen to people make stupid statements over and over.

Ivan, I'm pretty sure everyone here likes Tom Brady a lot.

Also, we don't know what's been offered for JG. But let's say, just for fun, that the Pats were offered a package that includes this year's #12. Would you take it?

I think there are many Patriot fans who try to play faux GM and they have been pining to trade Brady so they can try their binkie out, that's why we get one of these threads every week or so. They have been trotting out his age for years as a reason to move on, and despite the fact that he proves them wrong year after year they just keep moving the goalposts back and insisting they are right. Nothing he achieves dissuades them from insisting that Kellerman's Cliff is right around the corner, and no amount of evidence that he is playing at the top of his game can change their
Minds.

Just look at the douchebag post above this for reinforcement.

If Brady has another MVP type season, it's gonna be hard to " Move on". If he gets injured and is 2015 Manning like....that will be a different story. The question is would BB ever have the cajoons to trade or release Brady.

The player who couldn't make it though two games was Garrapolo, not Brady. I can't wait too see Brady have another MVP season and shove it down the throats of everyone talking complete sh.t about him. If you guys had your way in 2014 this team would be missing two Lombardi's.

Feel free to name the QBs who got progressively better at 37,38,39 and won two Super Bowl MVP's in that time span?

At what point do people finally understand that Brady isn't Favre or Manning or any of the other players who never trained to keep playing at a high level at this age?

Your taking this a little to serious and not really looking at my posts in a fair way. You think I am talking **** about Brady? Brady is gonna be the big 4 zero before the start of the 2017 season. If I had it my way I hope Brady plays 4 or 5 more great seasons with the Patriots. But I am just trying to analyze the situation with what we know.

Last edited:
Ivan is one to give anyone else grief over having a ''Binky.''

At least he chose well though I'll give him that.

Tom Brady is the QB of the Patriots until he quits or sucks. We are not moving on from him while he still has game - period.
Disagree. This is Bill ''better a year too early than a year too late'' Belichick we're talking about

I offer no opinion about what will happen with Brady but I know that BB knows exactly what needs to happen for it to be time for the next quarterback.

First, I don't believe Brady won't play anywhere else if the Pats released him and he still is playing at a top level. I think he wouldn't go to a team that is rebuilding other than maybe San Fran.

Why would he be traded if he plays at a top level ?

Second, there is no way the Pats will pay both Brady and Garoppolo next year. The only way they can keep him is to either franchise him (a cap hit of something like $22 million) or give him very good starter money to sit on the bench. Brady already has a $22 million cap hit next year. So the Pats would have anywhere from $34-45 million of their 2018 cap tied to the QB position if they keep him.

Third, it is almost guaranteed that both Brady and Garoppolo will not be on the Pats' 2018 roster. It just isn't going to happen. Garoppolo isn't going to take less to sit on the bench and wait for Brady to retire. If you want him to stay, he will need to be paid as a starting QB to hold a clipboard. I don't see the Pats doing that.

Yes. JG will be traded either in the next 2 weeks, around August if some team gets into a Vikings-esque situation and Jacoby has a convincing enough year 2 jump or next offseason after getting temporarily franchised. Unless Brady suffers a serious injury.

It is not a complicated situation and I don't get why we get so many posts that state wild theories.

I think there are many Patriot fans who try to play faux GM and they have been pining to trade Brady so they can try their binkie out, that's why we get one of these threads every week or so. They have been trotting out his age for years as a reason to move on, and despite the fact that he proves them wrong year after year they just keep moving the goalposts back and insisting they are right. Nothing he achieves dissuades them from insisting that Kellerman's Cliff is right around the corner, and no amount of evidence that he is playing at the top of his game can change their
Minds.

Just look at the douchebag post above this for reinforcement.
OK, but I asked you if the Pats were offered a package for JG this year that included the #12 pick, would you take it.

Heres my theory. Brady is going to be the starter. He is not going to get injured. He is going to throw fifty nine touchdowns and three ints. The superbowl will be won again. Then he actually will play four years longer like he said. He will never be traded.. Jimmy is going to be traded at some point because we all know where he is from. Illinois....now. I could tell you about the trouble with people in Illinois but the problem is so huge that id have carpo tunnel from typing

Why would he be traded if he plays at a top level ?
Yes. JG will be traded either in the next 2 weeks, around August if some team gets into a Vikings-esque situation and Jacoby has a convincing enough year 2 jump or next offseason after getting temporarily franchised. Unless Brady suffers a serious injury.

It is not a complicated situation and I don't get why we get so many posts that state wild theories.

Because for some perverse reason Patsfans is flypaper for a minority infestation of perverse fanboys who get hard thinking about trading away the GOAT. It has been going on here for YEARS. Sick.

Because for some perverse reason Patsfans is flypaper for a minority infestation of perverse fanboys who get hard thinking about trading away the GOAT. It has been going on here for YEARS. Sick.
LOL you really have this worked into a conspiracy theory. Lots of people like to peer into a crystal ball and pretend they know the future. And with the end of the Brady era upcoming sometime in the next few years, predicting when it happens is going to be a popular pastime. No one hates Brady, no one wants to see him leave, but some of us like trying to call the shot and predict what's coming in the future, and one of the things that's coming at some point in the near future is Brady leaving the Patriots.

In other words, we have a lot of fans looking ahead to the departure of the GOAT, while you sit here and accuse everyone of looking forward to it. The distinction is significant, and it's completely lost on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back