PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best and Worst trades of the BB era

All over the OP. Posted the links, the trades were objectively bad, the OP disagreed with one and laid out why, and then he added one that wasn’t in the list and laid out why. It’s a well-reasoned post. Reasoning isn’t neutral. It’s either good or poor. If you’re arguing it isn’t good, by definition you think it’s poorly reasoned.

Reasoning is like math or feelings, not good or bad, it is simply reasoning. "Well reasoned" is your opinion. My opinion is:
1. Going back to 2006 is weak
2. Agree bad trade
3. Patriots did not get next to nothing, they got $20M, or whatever it was, in cap space to sign a guy who was hopefully not as crazy
4. 50/50
5. The Pats gave up two late round picks for Ochocinco. When the Pats trade a palyer getting back late round picks it is "next to nothing" but when the Pats give up "next to nothing" for Ochocinco it is a bad trade. Can' t have it both ways. Again weak IMO like #1.
6. Albert Haynesworth was a 5th round flyer. What is the writer's point? It should have been a 6th or 7th round pick? Again weak, see #1 and #5.
7. Duane Starks was a bad trade. Agreed.
8. Agree with the OP that this was based on heresy. Weak IMO, agreeing with the OP. See #1, #5, and #6.

So there were a few bad trades in the list. As always written for clicks IMO. The OP was nice to change the thread heading and Upstarter made a well reasoned positive trade list IMO, but you didn't mention Upstaters list. Your repeated posts that PatsFans is doomed because grumpy guys are challenged, and your ignoring Upstarter's positive post in order to again play Mother Theresa defending the downtrodden, is a tell.

Who would you trade right now?
I think the ship has sailed on that for now. Judon would be the obvious choice as he's their best defensive player and on his way to another double digit sack season. However, he's over 30 and is underpaid, so he'll want a new deal with that new team.

Trading Uche was being thrown around by posters this offseason, but that would be idiotic. I see him notches 10+ sacks again this season and is the best chance of being the first defensive player Bill has drafted to make a Pro Bowl or All Pro since 2013 (Jamie Collins 2015 Pro Bowl, 2nd team All Pro).

Need to just draft better and stop hoarding on defense.

Who would you trade right now?

100 percent agree

Agree 100 percent. We need dynamic play makers on offense.

Bill does not want to pay for an elite QB. He got his disdain for the position from Parcells IMO.

The value was there for guys like Gilmore, McCourty, and Thuney, but there isn’t much left.

The return value they got for Chandler Jones (probable Hall of Famer in prime), Jimmy Garoppolo (solid starter in prime), Jacoby Brisset (solid backup or fringe starter on rookie deal), and Stephon Gilmore (as a fading but still very good CB): two second round picks, a sixth round pick, and Philip Dorsett. Those trades were on Billz Exchange and not the real NFL market. Otherwise we wouldn’t hear multiple reports that teams would have traded much, much more for Garoppolo and Gilmore had they known about the availability.

The value was there for guys like Gilmore, McCourty, and Thuney, but there isn’t much left.

The return value they got for Chandler Jones (probable Hall of Famer in prime), Jimmy Garoppolo (solid starter in prime), Jacoby Brisset (solid backup or fringe starter on rookie deal), and Stephon Gilmore (as a fading but still very good CB): two second round picks, a sixth round pick, and Philip Dorsett. Those trades were on Billz Exchange and not the real NFL market. Otherwise we wouldn’t hear multiple reports that teams would have traded much, much more for Garoppolo and Gilmore had they known about the availability.
The one thing that bothers me with these discussions is that they ignore the intrinsic value of the player to the team. Yes, they only got a 2 for Garoppolo, but they also got three years of a top-tier backup QB for about $1M/year instead of having to overpay for a veteran. Even if they could've gotten a first for him before the season, there's still value to the half-year of backup play they got from him in 2017. [FWIW, though, I think part of it was that outside of Mahomes, there weren't any QBs they really liked in that draft who they could've gotten as a replacement.]

Reasoning is like math or feelings, not good or bad, it is simply reasoning. "Well reasoned" is your opinion.

Wrong. It’s either good reasoning or bad reasoning. Bad reasoning would be to just say BB sucks as a GM and needs to be replaced. Or just pointing out his great trades and ignoring the bad ones.

Good reasoning is showing those bad trades, defending the removal of one of them, and adding another one that wasn’t listed there while providing fact-based reasoning with the benefit of history. Bad reasoning would be rife with logical fallacies. Red herrings, straw men, ad hominem. Good reasoning is devoid of any of those things.

Give me any time in human history and I’ll give you an example of a decision that altered the course of history. One that shows reasoning isn’t subjective. It’s either well reasoned or poorly reasoned.

My opinion is:
1. Going back to 2006 is weak

Why? Was Bill not coaching the team then? Was he not operating as the team’s GM in 2006? If anything, one would think this could make your argument stronger. The article, and the OP, really needed to go back 17 years to find one?

2. Agree bad trade
3. Patriots did not get next to nothing, they got $20M, or whatever it was, in cap space to sign a guy who was hopefully not as crazy

Cap space being freed up to sign a “guy who was hopefully not as crazy,” is only part of a trade. This was one that I didn’t really agree with, though. Jones was in the final year of his deal and teams knew they didn’t have to surrender a 1st. The returns on the second round pick got us one of the better guards in the league and a key component in a Super Bowl run.

1. You have a problem with mentioning a trade in ‘06, but have no problem with analyzing a trade a whole three years later? You’re not being logically consistent. That does not logically compute. It was a bad trade.

2. The trade was objectively bad. I’d rather have had the two picks, considering how well he’s drafted in those rounds since he’s been here.

5. The Pats gave up two late round picks for Ochocinco. When the Pats trade a palyer getting back late round picks it is "next to nothing" but when the Pats give up "next to nothing" for Ochocinco it is a bad trade. Can' t have it both ways. Again weak IMO like #1.

Except one was one of the better edge rushers in the NFL and the other was cooked by the time the trade happened, and we were relying on him to stretch defenses and threaten them on the perimeter. This isn’t hindsight, either. A lot of us had our doubts about that trade when it happened.

6. Albert Haynesworth was a 5th round flyer. What is the writer's point? It should have been a 6th or 7th round pick? Again weak, see #1 and #5.

Meh, the article even says the trade wasn’t deplorable. I also liked this one, so there’s not much **** I could talk about it.

7. Duane Starks was a bad trade. Agreed.
8. Agree with the OP that this was based on heresy. Weak IMO, agreeing with the OP. See #1, #5, and #6.

So you’ll agree that the OP was well-reasoned? Nice to see you come to the light.

So there were a few bad trades in the list. As always written for clicks IMO.

Everything on the Internet is written for clicks. That doesn’t mean it should be dismissed. You even seem to agree with that since you’re partaking in the conversation.

The OP was nice to change the thread heading and Upstarter made a well reasoned positive trade list IMO, but you didn't mention Upstaters list.

Was upstater being attacked?

Your repeated posts that PatsFans is doomed because grumpy guys are challenged, and your ignoring Upstarter's positive post in order to again play Mother Theresa defending the downtrodden, is a tell.

You really should stop beating around the bush and just start with whatever your problem is, which is clearly this. It couldn’t be more obvious. I’ve never said the place is doomed, though you could easily argue that this medium is dying with the advent of social media and how board owners like Ian are competing for free time with social media and Reddit.

What I HAVE said, which hasn’t even been disputed in a group PM by the board owner, is that the conversation is stale and lifeless because the board has douched out hundreds of thousands of posts via the team being mediocre compounded with the fact that if anyone brings up reasonable analysis that is less than glowing, they’re met with ****posts like this…

It’s literally your chance to come here crying… N’Keal wasn’t a trade, stick to topic.

But September on Patriot’s forums are usually negative nancy paradise.

Dismissal of a well-reasoned post because, instead of considering the thread topic, this guy just wants to mass label everyone is criers.

FFS, did we really need to feed the trolls with another thread like this? We definitively don’t need more dwelling on the past here.

Don’t like the bad trades? You must be a troll and you need to be silenced from creating threads.

Labeling people as either trolls who secretly hate the team (number of years spent on the board be damned) or unrealistic homers isn’t necessarily a great way to keep the debate flowing around here. You lose members. Then you become what PatriotsPlanet currently is… a slow, stale board where a handful of contributors are keeping it alive instead of a vast array of different personalities with different opinions.

Once again, even Ian doesn’t think the board is better off. He can confirm he said that, and so can @Ice_Ice_Brady. That ain’t me being “Mother Theresa.” That’s just a fact, my guy.

4th round pick to Bears for Ted Washington will always be number 1 for me.

Most impactful trade that turned a turnstile rund d into a Superbowl championship over night. Everything clicked.

Watching Priest Homes LT and Ricky Williams just destroy us in back to back to back games was demoralizing the year before.

I might add getting rid of Shack Mason (sp?).

I guess I see the ugly and petty mismanagement of Tom's final season or two as the most unforgiveable faux pas. Only last year's OC fiasco is more obviously and deeply stupid, and BOTH were emphatically not "what is best for the team." Every time I hear that expression nowadays, it just pisses me off.

I think this conversation would be more useful and relevant to our present situation if we were to limit our discussion of Bill the GM to what he has done over the past four, maybe five years, because that is the guy we would be getting if we were to allow Bill to continue as GM, a course of action I for one do not support.

I might add getting rid of Shack Mason (sp?).
Shaq Mason.

Onwenu has been a fine replacement. It's the move of letting Thuney walk and using a 1st round pick to reach for a G two years later was the move many on here dislike.

Shaq Mason.

Onwenu has been a fine replacement. It's the move of letting Thuney walk and using a 1st round pick to reach for a G two years later was the move many on here dislike.

Had the Brady savings gone into a long term all pro contract, that would make it easier to swallow.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back