PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Trade Deadline “Ideas”

Hey guys just joined (thanks for the approval)
About Collins didn't he say some real stupid things after the Pats traded him?I don't remember for sure I don't live anywhere near Boston (or foxboro) so I don't get much news on them
I doubt Jax would trade a player to the Pats so we can probably forget about Fowler
BB almost always does something before the deadline so it could be interesting

Now that we have cap space to make a move:

Damon Harrison

I wonder if the Giants/Gettleman would entertain trade offers on Damon Harrison now that they appear headed for the tank. His remaining base salaries are pretty cheap for the best run stuffing DT in the NFL. Put him next to Guy in 2018-2019 & the interior run D on early downs is now a brick wall. We could also let Shelton/Brown go in FA next year with little worry.

Nice conceptually, but Harrison cap hit would be about $3.8M for the second half of the season. Sure, that fits inside the current $5.35M in cap space, but that takes them below the $1.63M they had before the Gilmore restructure. At $1.63M, the Pats didn't have enough cap space to pay their remaining weekly roster bonuses and other in-season obligation. IOW, they'll need to make another move before they can afford both Harrison and their other obligations. Even then, if there's another significant injury, the Pats would have limited cap resources for addressing it.

About Collins didn't he say some real stupid things after the Pats traded him?I don't remember for sure I don't live anywhere near Boston (or foxboro) so I don't get much news on them
I doubt Jax would trade a player to the Pats so we can probably forget about Fowler

Welcome aboard!

Hazing will commence in 3 .... 2 .... 1 ....

(just kidding)

Hazing ? I'm much too old for that
Anyway being serious again I've been looking for a decent board that has guys who just offer an opinion on something a poster says (trade idea draft pick etc...) instead of calling him names and acting like 2 year olds
The last one I was on a different poster was mad at BB for not trading up to get Barkley I said in exact words "Michel is doing just fine there are other issues to be concerned with" everyone started calling me a troll and all that bs
I wont post what I told them but this board looks pretty good

???

Let's say that $4M of his 2018 salary was converted to a bonus. This simply means that this year's cap is decreased by $2M and next year's cap is increased by $2M. This is bookkeeping. A player's cap hit is irrelevant to anyone but posters. What matters is new money.

Since McCourty's 2019 salary would not change, his contract situation and leverages would remain the same. So, his cap would irrelevant to next year's decision-making. The OPEN issue is whether McCourty would be worth $9.5M (salary plus roster bonus). The team could try to sign him to an extension. Again, the cap money would be irrelevant.

You are missing the point.

Restructuring DMac would move money back into the final year of a bloated contract when there is a reasonable exit strategy in terms of deadcap that gives the team a lot of leverage when negotiating a potential extension for less money.

You don't touch him to create money. Unless you are absolutely fine with his 13m cap hit and have no interest at all at using his low deadcap hit as a tool.

If you can cut him for his current deadcap hit and increase potential cap space NOW by restructuring someone you plan to have around anyway then you do that.

Last edited:
Cut McCourty and trade for a 4th rd pick forLandon Collins, he was a second rd pick, so no 5th year option. He is short money just over 1 million, and try to resign him, or get the comp pick.

You end up with a better Safety and save 8 million on the cap.

No way McCourty survives next year with that cap number and his awful play.

Revis called BB an (obscenity) so I dont think words matter too much to him in regards to Collins. But hes playing on the Browns and has a big cap hit so I don't expect him to be coming.

I think if theres a move yo be made, espcially on defense, Bill will make one. The problem is the Pats are looking for upgrades at positions a lot of other teams are.

And finally welcome to the board. :)

I like the way everyone is thinking. Let's help this defense!

ps: i have no strong opinion on who we specifically acquire. i'd like another S like Chung who can cover a TE and support against the run. Maybe one on the right side of 30. i'd like a LB who can cover a RB on a wheel route or a TE over the middle, preferable on the right side of 250 pounds (i mean lighter and faster as the right side).

Cut McCourty and trade for a 4th rd pick forLandon Collins, he was a second rd pick, so no 5th year option. He is short money just over 1 million, and try to resign him, or get the comp pick.

You end up with a better Safety and save 8 million on the cap.

No way McCourty survives next year with that cap number and his awful play.

Why are you comparing Collins to DMac ?

When was the last time Devin was playing safety ? It just goes to show how little people understand what safeties are supposed to do when after two years of not playing in his role as FS McCourty is still being compared to people that play that position.

Given that he is playing out of position I don't agree that his play has been awful at all. Find someone as flexible as DMac, make him play all the LB/SS/CB snaps and put Devin back where Harmon is right now and immediately he is back being one of the best players.

defensive lineman please..someone in the middle. the current guys suck.

oh and a LB that can run. i dont want to see elandon roberts on the field (ever )

Why are you comparing Collins to DMac ?

When was the last time Devin was playing safety ? It just goes to show how little people understand what safeties are supposed to do when after two years of not playing in his role as FS McCourty is still being compared to people that play that position.

Given that he is playing out of position I don't agree that his play has been awful at all. Find someone as flexible as DMac, make him play all the LB/SS/CB snaps and put Devin back where Harmon is right now and immediately he is back being one of the best players.

He gave up 3 TDs on Sunday (per BB), why are people continue to hold water for this guy, the last play of any significance he made was his tackle for loss, after the great Julio catch, two Superbowls ago. He has been utter dogshit since!!!!

He gave up 3 TDs on Sunday (per BB), why are people continue to hold water for this guy, the last play of any significance he made was his tackle for loss, after the great Julio catch, two Superbowls ago. He has been utter dogshit since!!!!

You proposed signing a player who plays an entirely different position than DMac has been playing for about 2 years. My response was that he is playing out of position but his versatility lets us get away with a lot of different schemes with the same personnel. If he was such a big liability the coaching staff would have already made changes. Just maybe he is often put in tough and impossible situations to the point

Collins would look even worse if he had to do the same and not just play safety like Harmon.

If he was such a big liability as many people here think we would have seen changes to the schemes by now. But just maybe giving up 3 TD doesn't automatically mean that he was in position to stop those from happening.

You proposed signing a player who plays an entirely different position than DMac has been playing for about 2 years. My response was that he is playing out of position but his versatility lets us get away with a lot of different schemes with the same personnel. If he was such a big liability the coaching staff would have already made changes. Just maybe he is often put in tough and impossible situations to the point

Collins would look even worse if he had to do the same and not just play safety like Harmon.

If he was such a big liability as many people here think we would have seen changes to the schemes by now. But just maybe giving up 3 TD doesn't automatically mean that he was in position to stop those from happening.

There is no other safeties in the roster, so benching him is not really an option. What are you going to play Ebner? Whatever position he is playing he sucks and is making way to much money! He will be cut in the off season, I see no reason to keep him, he is a YUGE liability! They need to find a replacement NOW.

There is no other safeties in the roster, so benching him is not really an option. What are you going to play Ebner? Whatever position he is playing he sucks and is making way to much money! He will be cut in the off season, I see no reason to keep him, he is a YUGE liability! They need to find a replacement NOW.

I see it differently. He is doing exactly what the staff is asking him to do and he will be extended this offseason. The extension will lower his cap hit for 2019 and 2020 with another out after those 2 years.

Again he is not playing safety most of the time so the replacement would be a LB or CB on many downs. But that would take away the personnel advantage where they can morph from pass to run defense seamlessly without subbing.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back