PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Trade Deadline “Ideas”

We need a RB soon, I want White to stay healthy for as long as possible. Our RB crew is very thin atm, it’s getting colder and we need some bruisers in there. Sucks I wish we could get Blunt back.

I think top priority for this team should be a LB/S hybrid, although they're hard to come by.

Someone in the Deone Bucannon mold would make the most sense.

Depth at DL, CB, and WR would be nice but those positions are less pressing.

We desperately need an athletic play-maker in the middle of the field.

Anyone have ideas?

Yes, let's add depth at the positions we already have depth at.. Makes so much sense. :rolleyes:

DT - Brown, Shelton, Guy, Butler on the 53 with Herron on the PS
DE - Flowers, Clayborn, Wise, Rivers, Grissom, Davis with Harris on the PS.

CB - Gilmore, JMac, J. Jones, Jackson, Crossen w/ Dawson on the IR and Wiltz on the PS.
S - DMac, Chung, Harmon w/ David Jones on the PS.

WR - Edelman, Gordon, Hogan, Dorsett, Patterson

Sorry, but those positions aren't just less pressing. They are not pressing at all.

Areas that ARE pressing:
Coverage LB
S/LB Hybrid
Primary RB

Unless Belichick can get Arizona to part ways with Haason Reddick on the cheap or maybe take Elandon Roberts and a late round pick for him I don't see help coming at that spot..

Kamu Grugier-Hill was someone the Pats eyed for the S/LB role, but he's a stellar special teams player for the Eagles and I don't see them trading him.

BTW, Terrelle Pryor was released by the Jets. And the Pats had looked at him quite a bit both when he was with the Browns and again before he signed with the Jets.

Yes, let's add depth at the positions we already have depth at.. Makes so much sense. :rolleyes:

DT - Brown, Shelton, Guy, Butler on the 53 with Herron on the PS
DE - Flowers, Clayborn, Wise, Rivers, Grissom, Davis with Harris on the PS.

CB - Gilmore, JMac, J. Jones, Jackson, Crossen w/ Dawson on the IR and Wiltz on the PS.
S - DMac, Chung, Harmon w/ David Jones on the PS.

WR - Edelman, Gordon, Hogan, Dorsett, Patterson

Sorry, but those positions aren't just less pressing. They are not pressing at all.

Areas that ARE pressing:
Coverage LB
S/LB Hybrid
Primary RB

Unless Belichick can get Arizona to part ways with Haason Reddick on the cheap or maybe take Elandon Roberts and a late round pick for him I don't see help coming at that spot..

Kamu Grugier-Hill was someone the Pats eyed for the S/LB role, but he's a stellar special teams player for the Eagles and I don't see them trading him.

BTW, Terrelle Pryor was released by the Jets. And the Pats had looked at him quite a bit both when he was with the Browns and again before he signed with the Jets.

Pryor supposedly has a groin injury.

Pryor supposedly has a groin injury.

I don't see the Pats adding another WR.. I mentioned it only because someone was saying we needed more depth..

@Miguel - Could the Patriots trade for Bucannon and then give him an extension to lower his cap hit this year?

We need a RB soon, I want White to stay healthy for as long as possible. Our RB crew is very thin atm, it’s getting colder and we need some bruisers in there. Sucks I wish we could get Blunt back.

Le'Veon Bell?

A few intresting names as far as RBs go.. A few of those yard churners who are sort of being misued/dont fit current teams/in a log jam. Not saying any of these are likely but its fun to pretend:

1. Derrick Henry - North/South runner. Low useage thus far in season.

2. Jordan Howard- Other than some goalie carries today..his usage has been baffling in CHI. Another north/south runner with some spice to game (capable receiver)

3. Lamar Miller - finally had himself a game today. Although he has some miles on the tires.

4. Spencer Ware - only comes in during blowouts.

5. Aaron Jones - explosive back ..part of a 3 headed rbbc in GB.

6. Any Seattle RB - for the cheap. If I had my pick Carson but doubt hed be available.

That said. They could just as easily promote Farrow and trade for some speed on defense.

Le'Veon Bell?
If Bell is feeling like there’s a chance that he’ll be traded, he can simply choose to wait until after the 10/30 deadline to sign his tag. He’d then be guaranteed to keep a spot on the Steelers’ roster until the spring, when he’d hit free agency.

There’s also the issues of not having sufficient cap space in the present, not wanting to pay him 15m a year in the spring on a long term deal, his attitude problems and poor judgment, and the fact that the team just selected Michel in the first round. Then there’s the low likelihood that Pittsburgh would want to trade with a rival, and New England probably wouldn’t want to part with a high round puck.

I guess you can never say never with this team, but I don’t think that Bell is the kind of guy that they’d be interested in for a variety of reasons.

RB- Jordan Howard

RB - Derrick Henry

RB- Orleans Darkwa

RB- CJ Anderson

RB- Ameer Abdullah

RB- Mike Gillislee

But hopefully we won’t need any of them.

Last edited:
If Bell is feeling like there’s a chance that he’ll be traded, he can simply choose to wait until after the 10/30 deadline to sign his tag. He’d then be guaranteed to keep a spot on the Steelers’ roster until the spring, when he’d hit free agency.

There’s also the issues of not having sufficient cap space in the present, not wanting to pay him 15m a year in the spring on a long term deal, his attitude problems and poor judgment, and the fact that the team just selected Michel in the first round. Then there’s the low likelihood that Pittsburgh would want to trade with a rival, and New England probably wouldn’t want to part with a high round puck.

I guess you can never say never with this team, but I don’t think that Bell is the kind of guy that they’d be interested in for a variety of reasons.

I suspect that our realistic options are something like Andre Ellington, Shane Vereen, Charcandrick West if Michel is done.

Patriots trade a fifth round pick*

In exchange, Riddell trades a new helmet for Josh Gordon

*Trade is conditional upon helmet fitting

Fun factoid:

Over the previous two seasons, James White averaged 99 total touches for ~658 yds from scrimmage and four TDs.

In seven games in 2018, White has 85 total touches for 569 yds from scrimmage and seven TDs.

Unfortunately, the second most productive Patriot in 2018 has been Sony Michel, with 99 touches, 453 yds from scrimmage and 4 TDs - in six games.

Last edited:
I thought Abdullah coming out of college would be a perfect fit for the Pats third down back in the mold of Faulk, Vereen, now White. Lord knows if something happens to White the Pats would be in a big hurt, especially without Michel. So Abdullah might make sense as a good trade candidate.

Scratch kwon off the list torn Acl
Scratch off Lavonte David as well. It was always a pipe dream, but if the Bucs just lost Alexander, I can't imagine they'd proceed to thin themselves out at linebacker even further. I'd give up a 1st for David though. Proven All-Pro level talent, fair contract for 2.5 years (aka 3 playoff runs) - as opposed to an unknown guy out of college who may or may not work out, and may not peak until his 2nd or 3rd year anyway.

Last edited:
Derrick Henry would be an interesting to look at. Will need to watch some tape on him. Would be surprised if they let him go

RB- Jordan Howard

RB - Derrick Henry

RB- Orleans Darkwa

RB- CJ Anderson

RB- Ameer Abdullah

RB- Mike Gillislee

But hopefully we won’t need any of them.

So, you think the Bears would trade Howard to the Pats?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back