Since all the receivers expect Gronkowski are on this list, what are you suggesting? Should we pass more than we would ordinarily based on game plan (a really bad idea). Should Gronk get fewer targets?
Do not want to go on ad infinitum.. some stats to back up this contention.. IMO there are underused assets on this team.
Develin 5 targets and 3 catches
Lewis 10 targets and 10 catches
Gillislee 0 targets
White 53 targets and 43 catches
Burkhead 15 targets and 12 catches
Cooks and Hogan 54 targets and 33 catches
Amendola 42 targets and 31 receptions
Dorsett 8 targets and 4 receptions
Gronk 56 targets and 34 receptions
Hollister 6 targets and 3 receptions
Allen 8 targets and 0 receptions
1) I agree that Brady spreads the ball around as much or more than anyone in the league, subject to game plan. Curiously, this is even more true with Edelman out. Brady targets the open man, or at least the open man that he can trust.
2) I agree that Brady will occasionally catch someone napping with targets to Gillislie, Allen, and Dorsett, just as he has with Develin.
- Dwayne Allen hasn't seen a target since week-4 (CAR)
- Dorsett went 0 for 3 in the Jets game and hasn't seen a target since.
- Gillislee has yet to see a target (not that he's any great receiver, but I have to figure that Brady will catch some defense sleeping on Gillislee at some point).
Of course, the above are "official targets" and don't include plays that may have been wiped out by penalties.
Still, in addition to the game plan, the number of viable targets that Brady has available to throw to is a factor in how much he "spreads the ball around".