PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Trade Deadline Rumors, including Bourne and Agholar

Or baked... Trust me... You end-up with a shopping bag of cookies and no produce, and don't remember even buying the cookies......
I notice that if I go shopping hungry, I come home with a lot of chocolate. A lot.

Presumably the same would happen if I ever went shopping stoned, but I put down the devil's lettuce a long time ago.

Speaking of Miguel, Meyers is sure going to look good on someone else's team next year, sigh.

It's been moved back twice already, one week each time. I think this is why we saw so much activity this year, because it became clear to some teams like DEN, PIT, DET etc that it made no sense to hang on to players they weren't going to sign/extend in the off season.

In the case of Claypool I heard the bidding started with a 2nd, because PIT said they were going to get a 3rd for compensation so they might as well keep him for the rest of the year if no one would offer a 2nd. Getting CHI's 2nd seems like good value since overall it should be top-half of the draft.

The old-school NFL did not want to push back the trade deadline. The thought was you should build your team in the off season. If you could shift a major player during the season then the whole construction of the schedule would suffer because a team that used to be strong would now be weak, or vice versa, and that could shift the standings. Of course injuries could do the same thing, but those are out of anybody's control.

The new-school NFL is now mostly concerned about entertainment, so we could see what you want, the deadline shifted even further back.

You could see some strange things if you push it back too far. We really could see a team totally dismantle itself during the season, trading away everything they can trade and finishing out the season with scrubs. We could see a team cherry pick a lot of talent to try to make a playoff push and set themselves up for years of cap hell just to do so. We could see teams say "let's just get to the trade deadline then we can decide to go all in or not". We could see money change hands under the table to enable certain transactions. It seems the NFL just did not want to make this become too big a thing, to remove these kinds of temptations.

Following up my own post with:

The article ( Sources: NFL teams seek later trade deadline ) doesn't really have much analysis. It just says pushing it back would be consistent with the NFL's push to have more player movement. It says some teams worry about too much roster movement, without saying why that worries them. Yet, the fact that some teams are asking for a later trade deadline is news worth.

One good rebuttal below:

I keep trying to see what the down side is. I guess it'll be along these lines: team sees they aren't good, throws in the towel, trades away most/all decent players, product declines, home team fans stop attending the games, stands are empty, it's a bad look for the NFL.

I mean, it seems exciting if you are on the receiving end of the big trade, but what if you were a fan of DEN, PIT, DET, etc and your favorite player just got traded away and it's clear your team is going to suck for the rest of the season? Would you even bother going to the games? Isn't the most likely outcome "the rich get richer" as they cherry pick talent from the weaker teams and use clever cap tactics to keep their talent level high, while the weak teams see declining revenues and interest levels so can't attract talent?

I guess the old NFL would worry about this stuff, the new one not so much.

One good rebuttal below:

I keep trying to see what the down side is. I guess it'll be along these lines: team sees they aren't good, throws in the towel, trades away most/all decent players, product declines, home team fans stop attending the games, stands are empty, it's a bad look for the NFL.

I mean, it seems exciting if you are on the receiving end of the big trade, but what if you were a fan of DEN, PIT, DET, etc and your favorite player just got traded away and it's clear your team is going to suck for the rest of the season? Would you even bother going to the games? Isn't the most likely outcome "the rich get richer" as they cherry pick talent from the weaker teams and use clever cap tactics to keep their talent level high, while the weak teams see declining revenues and interest levels so can't attract talent?

I guess the old NFL would worry about this stuff, the new one not so much.

It being extended could definitely punch big holes in Park Ave. attempts for league wide parity.

I think Mac is going to have his best game of the season. He better.

It being extended could definitely punch big holes in Park Ave. attempts for league wide parity.
You make a great point. On the surface delaying the cutoff would create huge disparities between the teams that mortgage their future in the current season vs those that sell to reload for the future. In season game quality would suffer. The parity model would change and make it even more difficult for a team to be consistently competitive for a long period of time.

You make a great point. On the surface delaying the cutoff would create huge disparities between the teams that mortgage their future in the current season vs those that sell to reload for the future. In season game quality would suffer. The parity model would change and make it even more difficult for a team to be consistently competitive for a long period of time.
If I was a fan of bad team, I would derive more enjoyment from my team selling off veterans to add future assets than watching my terrible team try to win a game they don't have a chance in.

Carolina's quality of play since trading CMC hasn't suffered and now their fans have extra future picks to be excited about.

Dang. I thought with Edmonds gone that Mostert would finally have some value to my FF team
I find it interesting that they now have 2 former SF RB who were teammates and played very well a couple years back.

What the hell is Atlanta doing? Pitts, London, and Ridley would’ve been an elite offense with a competent coach

People forget that Ridley checked out on the Falcons in 2021. He left them high and dry. He flat out told them when he was out with his "mental issues" that he had no intention of going back. While he was out is when he was betting on the NFL and it led to his suspension for the year.

If I was a fan of bad team, I would derive more enjoyment from my team selling off veterans to add future assets than watching my terrible team try to win a game they don't have a chance in.

Carolina's quality of play since trading CMC hasn't suffered and now their fans have extra future picks to be excited about
There will be situations where teams benefit from lesser expectations. In this scenario the NFL will be more like MLB.

Judon's next deal is going to be crazy!
No. It's not. Bradey Chubb is 26. Matthew Judon is 30. Judon still has 2 more years on his deal. He'll be 32 going on 33. His next deal will be less than the one he got from the Pats in all likelihood.

I dunno about this situation. If everyone is healthy then they have too many guys but they all seem to be dealing with some small individual issue. The Bourne situation is still unresolved and now he has turf toe. Agholor keeps dropping the ball…

We kind of know Agholor won’t be here next year with Thornton taking his job, Thornton is looking good already and trading Agholor should give you several million in cap space so I’m somewhat inclined to trade him if someone will take him. Otherwise I would probably keep everyone else.
It's time to DUMP Wynn as well. He's overpaid, checked out, and plainly awful. What a poor cap decision it was to give him 10m dollars this season. :poop:

Question is can the Patriots get anything of value for their trades this season?

Clearly we need more OL depth and possibly a speedy linebacker to help against mobile QB led offenses.

The offense is a crapshoot right now.

Flying monkeys would give me more confidence than whatever plays Patricia calls so I'm not sure there's a good enough personnel fix without fixing the coaching first.

This is how I picture Matt Patricia and Joe Judge coming up with the Patriots offensive gameplan each week:

Attachments

• flying monkey.gif
    flying monkey.gif
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 2
There will be situations where teams benefit from lesser expectations. In this scenario the NFL will be more like MLB.

But in the NFL those situations are usually relatively temporary for many teams; whereas in baseball there seems to be a more permanent caste system between the small-market Have-nots and the big-market Haves...

But in the NFL those situations are usually relatively temporary for many teams; whereas in baseball there seems to be a more permanent caste system between the small-market Have-nots and the big-market Haves...
Agreed, the context is the fallout of moving the trade deadline to later in the season and the impact to the current model.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back