PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Trade Deadline “Ideas”

I need to study what a restructured contract means. I mean, if he agrees, is he receiving 3 million less money?

No. It is just book keeping essentially.

The Patriots made some of the money (4.95m) Gilmore was supposed to get as salary this year into a signing bonus and then where able to spread out that bonus over the next 3 years. Thereby saving 3/4s of the amount on this years cap. But they will have to pay more in the next three years.

It is more or less a zero sum game.

Last edited:
Pat Pete.... Reddick... who else could we potentially look at?

No. It is just book keeping essentially.

The Patriots made some of the money (4.95m) Gilmore was supposed to get as salary this year into a signing bonus and then spread out that amount over the next 3 years. Thereby saving 2/3s of the amount on this years cap. But they will have to pay now more in the next two years.

Ok. Kind of like the shell game I always lose at. All good though so long as it’s not a pay cut

Cassius Marsh v2.0.
Fowler is really fast. I would like to see if BB could make something out of him.

A lot of love for secondary in this thread. Can't share much of it. Never thought Harmon was productive. Devin a little better speed and toughness but still always a step late. Chung is the one safety I think does his job in coverage and run defense. I like Rowe, JMac, Jones as depth not convinced any of them is a strong #2, I like Rowe, he starts a game slow but improves, as the pundits say, "a matchup corner.

Trade idea for the Pats. Clearly with 5M there will not be a blockbuster move. At least it would surprise me. Maybe we sign a rookie in the last year of his contract for a 3rd who the team doesn't believe they can keep.

The Eagles and Jags both have cap issues going into 2019 and are loaded with defense. I doubt either is looking to make their team worse right now though. If either team drops a game this week they will be 3-4. They might start to look towards next year.

Here are some potential BIG MOVES.

Pats trade for any of Dante Fowler, Ronald Darby, Haloti Ngata or Brandon Graham. It would be a half year rental and only works if the Jags/Eagles believe they have no chance to keep those players and are out of the playoff hunt for this year. The Pats would need to give up a reasonably high pick to do this.

Graham and Ngata would cost the least draft pick wise as they are vets and their best football is behind them. Still they would be welcomed here. I don't know if the Eagles and Jags feel they can keep both their young stars in their current cap situation.

Just some ideas. Personally I would love to bring in Darby if at all possible. It would give the D a huge boost for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
Now that we have cap space to make a move:

Damon Harrison

I wonder if the Giants/Gettleman would entertain trade offers on Damon Harrison now that they appear headed for the tank. His remaining base salaries are pretty cheap for the best run stuffing DT in the NFL. Put him next to Guy in 2018-2019 & the interior run D on early downs is now a brick wall. We could also let Shelton/Brown go in FA next year with little worry.

???

Let's say that $4M of his 2018 salary was converted to a bonus. This simply means that this year's cap is decreased by $2M and next year's cap is increased by $2M. This is bookkeeping. A player's cap hit is irrelevant to anyone but posters. What matters is new money.

Since McCourty's 2019 salary would not change, his contract situation and leverages would remain the same. So, his cap would irrelevant to next year's decision-making. The OPEN issue is whether McCourty would be worth $9.5M (salary plus roster bonus). The team could try to sign him to an extension. Again, the cap money would be irrelevant.

There is no way to do anything with DMac's cap hit in any reasonable way as his contract only goes through next season and his cap hit there is already at 13m. My guess is that the Pats will approach him about an extension at a lower salary after this season. He can be cut with "only" 4m in dead money so they have some leverage there.

Now that we have cap space to make a move:

Damon Harrison

I wonder if the Giants/Gettleman would entertain trade offers on Damon Harrison now that they appear headed for the tank. His remaining base salaries are pretty cheap for the best run stuffing DT in the NFL. Put him next to Guy in 2018-2019 & the interior run D on early downs is now a brick wall. We could also let Shelton/Brown go in FA next year with little worry.

Not a pretty signing but my god it would be an unbelievable good player! Would be the first real NT we have had since Wilfork! I’d be all over this trade.

As we all know, the NFL trade deadline is approaching (Oct 31, 4pm). Though not much excitement takes place, I’m always intrigued by potential player movement & what it could mean for the teams involved. Though NE doesn’t currently have their “usual” amount of cap space, we could certainly use an upgrade/ depth at a couple of spots (I.E..LB, T, RB, DL etc...)
That being said, while most of these types of ideas are usually pretty ridiculous, this particular article below presents maybe thee worst trade scenario (for NE) I’ve seen in quite some time! It’s almost comical.

Wait for it....

Barnwell: 11 midseason NFL trade ideas, and why they make sense
I think there is no risk to the Collins trade, and there is good shot at it being very good move.

Deion Jones
Kj Wright
Vontaze Burfict maybe BB can keep the murderous Aggression in line.
But the NFLs head would explode.
Would be glorious.
The hate the tears would taste so good.

I think there is no risk to the Collins trade, and there is good shot at it being very good move.

How is there no risk? The guy has played sparingly in Cleveland. To say that he's been mediocre during the times he has played there would be nice. He still can't cover TEs and does his own thing.

I don't see BB and Flores thinking he's salvageable.

It didn’t work the 1st time, he was becoming a locker room issue.

Hell NO!!!

Trade idea for the Pats. Clearly with 5M there will not be a blockbuster move. At least it would surprise me. Maybe we sign a rookie in the last year of his contract for a 3rd who the team doesn't believe they can keep.

The Eagles and Jags both have cap issues going into 2019 and are loaded with defense. I doubt either is looking to make their team worse right now though. If either team drops a game this week they will be 3-4. They might start to look towards next year.

Here are some potential BIG MOVES.

Pats trade for any of Dante Fowler, Ronald Darby, Haloti Ngata or Brandon Graham. It would be a half year rental and only works if the Jags/Eagles believe they have no chance to keep those players and are out of the playoff hunt for this year. The Pats would need to give up a reasonably high pick to do this.

Graham and Ngata would cost the least draft pick wise as they are vets and their best football is behind them. Still they would be welcomed here. I don't know if the Eagles and Jags feel they can keep both their young stars in their current cap situation.

Just some ideas. Personally I would love to bring in Darby if at all possible. It would give the D a huge boost for the rest of the year.

There is now way the Jaguars trade Fowler to us and no way the Eagles trade is Darby..

I understand it’s some ideas, but let’s at least be semi realistic with our ideas.

How is there no risk? The guy has played sparingly in Cleveland. To say that he's been mediocre during the times he has played there would be nice. He still can't cover TEs and does his own thing.

I don't see BB and Flores thinking he's salvageable.
yes but we will only use him to leap over the line to block kicks even though its illegal now I think

Give me Harrison or and Deion Jones superbowl.
I would love to fleece Gruden though.
Come on Jon. We got Gordon for a 5th and 7th back.
Amari for a 6th and 7th feels like im being taken advantage of Jon yes Brady fumbled I agree throw in Karl Joseph ugg you drive a hard bargain.

Devin agreed to a similar restructure in 2016. He has one of the highest cap hits on the team; perhaps it's time for another tweak? I think he still has a lot of value to the team, but he could provide more flexibility with a restructure.

Perhaps those clamoring for Pat Pete aren't completely crazy, although Jason has mostly played pretty well. I still don't think we'll bring in someone of that caliber, but we'd have the best CB duo in the league that case.

Most likely, however, the Patriots will bring in marginal depth and keep options open for street free agents if injuries pile up. Fun to dream, though. :)

A similar "tweak" wouldn't be as effective with DMac since he has only one year left on his contract after this to spread the proration over.

Fowler is really fast. I would like to see if BB could make something out of him.

A lot of love for secondary in this thread. Can't share much of it. Never thought Harmon was productive. Devin a little better speed and toughness but still always a step late. Chung is the one safety I think does his job in coverage and run defense. I like Rowe, JMac, Jones as depth not convinced any of them is a strong #2, I like Rowe, he starts a game slow but improves, as the pundits say, "a matchup corner.

Fowler doesn't set the edge in run-D much better than Marsh - which is to say, not at all.

The problem with the Pats secondary isn't a question of #1, #2. It's a question of who's best at covering the right boundary and who's best at covering the slot. DMac has been playing the right boundary a lot in Rowe's injury absence, and it's obviously not the best spot for him. I think JJ would be the best starter for right boundary assignments, but putting him there leaves the slot more vulnerable. Rowe has been semi-serviceable on the right boundary (about Arrington level) with McCourty and/or Harmon over the top.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but as mediocre as Rowe has been, it appears that the secondary has actually missed him.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back