PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Owners set to give Goodell Extension?

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Rumors all over today that Goodell is set to receive a 5 year extension that will include a raise..

If I'm the NFLPA, I send the NFL a letter stating that the NFLPA will not negotiate any further CBA contracts as long as Goodell is the Commissioner. Especially with the documented history of unethical behavior that goes back to when he was Tagliabue's "man" on the Concussion Committee.

- Lies / Unethical behavior as the NFL's Man on Concussions
- Lies/ Unethical behavior during "Cameragate"
- Lies/ Unethical behavior during "BountyGate"
- Lies/ Unethical behavior during "BullyGate"
- Lies / Unethical behavior during Adrian Peterson Child Abuse scandal
- Lies / Unethical behavior during the Ray Rice Domestic Violence Scandal
- Lies / Unethical behavior during the Josh Brown Domestic Violence Scandal
- Lies / Unethical behavior during the Greg Hardy Domestic Violence Scandal
- Lies / Unethical behavior during "DeflateGate"

- Took over a year to investigate Ezekiel Elliot despite charges being dropped. Evidence has surfaced that "accuser" may have tried to blackmail Elliot as well.

And this doesn't even get into the unethical behavior when it comes to his bias in terms of suspensions.

- Adrian Peterson - 6 games.
- Greg Hardy - 10 games - reduced to 4 upon appeal
- Ray Rice - 2 Games, but was upped to "indefinitely" after the video was released.. (16 games- ended Rice's career)
- Josh Brown - 1 Game
- Ezekiel Elliot - 6 games - Under appeal.

Alcohol Related:
- Sheldon Richardson - 1 Game -
- Malcolm Floyd - 4 games (multiple violations)

NOTE: The fact that the NFL suspends players for conduct that is outside their place of business is a topic for a different discussion..

I still think ten years from now that we will look back and see all these additional revenue streams that the owners love a Goodell for will be things they come to regret. I think Thursday night football is ruining the product. The new rules about practices (which the owners caved on to get a bigger piece of the pie from the players) with less padded practices and no true double sessions are actually contributing to more injuries (no matter how much the NFL twists the data). If they expand the length of the season, it will kill the quality too. If they ever expand to England, it will just get us more bad football.

You already saw last season that there might be some cracks starting to burst in the NFL jugganaut. Mark Cuban may actually be proven right that the NFL will screw up a great thing. And it will be largely Goodell's fault.

Great news Rog!! Now you can parade around the country puffing out your chest and acting the jackazz as usual...and Roger, I hate your guts. I detest the slime that you are. I will loathe every breath you ever take, until you cease to exist. You scumbag.

Hopefully it's a 1 year extension with no guaranteed money and a poison pill.

Why shouldn't they? Roger Goodell is doing exactly what they want him to. He's taking the blame for all their BS and fronting their decisions, being a personal lightning rod for the decisions of the 32 is literally part of a commissioner's job description.

The only way Goodell goes down is when the internal shenanigans of the league office are exposed or leaked. The owners, while individually taking an occasional kick on the shin from him (it is Jerry Jones turn now), love the money he is bring in. The players, because of their relatively short careers, do not have the motivation or fortitude to stand up to him.

The NFL has had so much bad press lately, firing goodell but would be universally positive press.

Goodell is also a horrible person

The stupidity is in thinking the owners give a flying **** about anything other than their revenue split.
No doubt. Not sure why a Goodell extension would surprise anyone. The owners don't value some talk show chatter about heavy handed suspensions over the fact that he continues to help make them money.

Of course, people say "anyone could increase their revenue," and while that may be true, it's basically irrelevant. He happens to be the one who was in charge when it happened, therefore he'll be the one rewarded. This is common sense, and was pointed out many times during the spring/summer of '15 during the initial Brady saga.

I still think ten years from now that we will look back and see all these additional revenue streams that the owners love a Goodell for will be things they come to regret. I think Thursday night football is ruining the product. The new rules about practices (which the owners caved on to get a bigger piece of the pie from the players) with less padded practices and no true double sessions are actually contributing to more injuries (no matter how much the NFL twists the data). If they expand the length of the season, it will kill the quality too. If they ever expand to England, it will just get us more bad football.

You already saw last season that there might be some cracks starting to burst in the NFL jugganaut. Mark Cuban may actually be proven right that the NFL will screw up a great thing. And it will be largely Goodell's fault.
You could certainly be right (I tend to agree with you), but they'll ride this gravy train until the wheels fall off. They're raking it in, hand over fist.

I thought it was the NFLPA that wanted to get rid of two a days, and less padded practices?

I thought it was the NFLPA that wanted to get rid of two a days, and less padded practices?

Yep, it was the players who wanted this.

It is entirely possible that a metal rod could do the job Goodell is doing in terms of increasing revenue for the owners but as long as it is working the owners would be stupid to get rid of him especially because he directs animosity away from them by being the human punching bag.

Actually, it is the 32 owners that will be at fault. They have a large enough sample size to evaluate Goodell's leadership abilities. And they seem to think watering down the product with Thursday nights and London games won't hurt the league long-term. If the NFL slips, that is on the owners being poor businessmen - not on Goodell for being, well, Goodell.

What goes around comes around

Payback is a bytch..

Be patient "little flowers".. it is only a matter or time before he crosses some imaginary line and pisses off the 32.. then he will be replaced with a clone...

Goodell's deal runs through the NFLPA negotiations.

The financial landscape will be dramatically different by then with the end of ESPN revenue and a shift to the internet. The union (should) will be much more aggressive about a host of issues including guaranteed contracts, revenue sharing, discipline procedures, player safety, length of season, and rookie wage scales. I hope they stand up for retired players' health benefits.

If a work stoppage cuts off the gravy train, Goodell is toast. He's not smart enough to navigate those waters.

Yes, the NFLPA wanted it, but that was the concession that Goodell gave to take a hard line stance on revenue shares. It wasn't all his doing, but he played a part in it. He chose to keep a larger part of the pie rather than care about the quality of play on the field.

Rumors all over today that Goodell is set to receive a 5 year extension that will include a raise..

If I'm the NFLPA, I send the NFL a letter stating that the NFLPA will not negotiate any further CBA contracts as long as Goodell is the Commissioner. Especially with the documented history of unethical behavior that goes back to when he was Tagliabue's "man" on the Concussion Committee.

- Lies / Unethical behavior as the NFL's Man on Concussions
- Lies/ Unethical behavior during "Cameragate"
- Lies/ Unethical behavior during "BountyGate"
- Lies/ Unethical behavior during "BullyGate"
- Lies / Unethical behavior during Adrian Peterson Child Abuse scandal
- Lies / Unethical behavior during the Ray Rice Domestic Violence Scandal
- Lies / Unethical behavior during the Josh Brown Domestic Violence Scandal
- Lies / Unethical behavior during the Greg Hardy Domestic Violence Scandal
- Lies / Unethical behavior during "DeflateGate"

- Took over a year to investigate Ezekiel Elliot despite charges being dropped. Evidence has surfaced that "accuser" may have tried to blackmail Elliot as well.

And this doesn't even get into the unethical behavior when it comes to his bias in terms of suspensions.

- Adrian Peterson - 6 games.
- Greg Hardy - 10 games - reduced to 4 upon appeal
- Ray Rice - 2 Games, but was upped to "indefinitely" after the video was released.. (16 games- ended Rice's career)
- Josh Brown - 1 Game
- Ezekiel Elliot - 6 games - Under appeal.

Alcohol Related:
- Sheldon Richardson - 1 Game -
- Malcolm Floyd - 4 games (multiple violations)

NOTE: The fact that the NFL suspends players for conduct that is outside their place of business is a topic for a different discussion..

He takes the flak off of the owners who, including Bobby K., are the REAL scumbags behind the scenes. To them, he's worth every penny.

He takes the flak off of the owners who, including Bobby K., are the REAL scumbags behind the scenes. To them, he's worth every penny.

The thing is I never got that. Most of the flak he takes is caused by him. There would be no reason to take flak if he handled situations like Ray Rice, Bountygate, Deflategate, etc. properly or at least did it shadily with any type of finesse. About 90% of the flak he takes for the owners is only flak because he created it and made it worse by his arrogance and stonewalling the press.

Seriously, Goodell could have easily gotten his pound of flesh from the Patriots in Deflategate without issuing a bogus report, persecuting Tom Brady who he basically turned into a martyr to most of the world, and brought this to the courts. There was no way it wouldn't have been a crap storm here, but if he handled it correctly, he could have made himself look like the hero and the Patriots look like the bad guys. But the way he handled it got even guys who have their heads up Goodell's butt like Peter King defending the Patriots and questioning the integrity of the League.

Without Goodell, the owners wouldn't need to have someone to take the flak in the first place. When Tagliabue was Commissioner, he rarely needed to take the flak for owners.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back