PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT NFL Draft Rumors

View attachment 32403View attachment 32404
“He’s a good player, not a great player,” one scout said. “The guy’s young. He didn’t play this year. He has incredible body control and balance. Athletically, he can do anything. He’s got power. He’s 330. He needs lower pad level and technique work. He’s got enough to be a legit starter.”

Opted out of the 2020 season. Hailing from Malaeimi, American Samoa, he started seven games as a true freshman in 2018 before missing six games due to an ankle injury that required surgery. Then he started 13 of 14 games in 2019. Will turn 21 in October.

“Honestly, as big as he is, he’s still not fully developed,” said a second scout. “I mean that in a good way. He still has room to get bigger and stronger. When you’re picking that high, that’s kind of what you want.”

Said a third scout: “A bit overrated. He is a naturally thick, big-framed tackle. His workout was actually better than he played. I didn’t think he was super explosive. He covered people up with his size, and he would gouge somebody just because he was bigger than them. And name one pass rusher he actually played against in the Pac-12 who’s on a draft board?”

Arm length (33¼ inches) is short for a prospect of his stature. His hands are a large 10⅜ inches. Managed 30 reps on the bench press, but his vertical jump was a modest 28 inches.

“Every time I circle back and watch him, I just don’t see it,” a fourth scout said. “He’s not that gifted with his feet. He doesn’t really play that physical or strong. He can get in the way, but he’s not a really good finisher, and his balance isn’t that great. His technique is off. There’s a lot of work that needs to be done.”
So, basically, people not willing to put their name to it. The guy allowed 1 sack in two full seasons as a starter and actually has room to grow. He’s the safest pick the Bengals are going to get when you compare him to Chase and when you consider the need. But Bengals gonna Bengal. Hope he doesn’t end up in this division with the LOLphins.

Patriots are all about team and not individuals. No one is bigger than the team. It is just the way they operate. To them it is not personal but business. One thing for sure Gilmore wouldn’t retire a Patriot. He should but wouldn’t.

I agree with you they should keep Gilmore, he is a great player but the Patriots might be looking to move on from him.
A team is made up of individuals and their skills. Gilmore’s individual skills are an important piece of what the patriots want to do on defense and they have no one else at that level.

Where have you heard that Sewell is dropping, just curious? From what I have read, Cincy is seriously considering him at 5 along with Chase and Sewell's floor would be 8 at Carolina who needs a LT.....

Ashley, I consider 8 as “dropping” for Sewell. a few months ago he was the consensus number 2 pick. now he’s out of the top 5. and if the rumors are true that the Pats are trying to trade for the 8th pick from Carolina then he could drop out of the top 10.

The Patriots wouldn’t trade back in this draft. Robert Kraft chewed Bill for his bad drafting woes, with the press conference. Trading back has hurt the Patriots severely for years. Felger and Mazz should stop with the Jimmy G talk and man crush, the media and fans because it is not happening

It isn't the trading-back that has crippled us; it's the actual picks themselves when Billy's made them.

My dark horse for the BB 2nd round DB draft pick special this year is Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB from Syracuse. Born in Boston and grew up in Grafton. His brother Obi played for the Pats in 2018-19. Big physical kid at 6-3, 205 lbs. Projected to go anywhere from 2-4 round. There will probably other CB’s in the 2nd I’d prefer to him (Eric Stokes in particular) but it wouldn’t shock me if his name is called to the Pats.

My Terry Wheatley/Glas-IR Dowling/Tavon Wilson/Glitch Richards/Cyrus the Virus/Duke Dawson/SloJuan Williams/Uncle Dugg Nightmare at Patriots Place vision is Paris Ford.

My dark horse for the BB 2nd round DB draft pick special this year is Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB from Syracuse. Born in Boston and grew up in Grafton. His brother Obi played for the Pats in 2018-19. Big physical kid at 6-3, 205 lbs. Projected to go anywhere from 2-4 round. There will probably other CB’s in the 2nd I’d prefer to him (Eric Stokes in particular) but it wouldn’t shock me if his name is called to the Pats.
As Grafton worked him into different positions on the football field, Melifonwu excelled as an option quarterback, wide receiver and defensive back for a team that far exceeded expectations. Then, in a move that changed the landscape of Central Massachusetts lacrosse, Melifonwu joined Grafton's highly-regarded lacrosse team and become a lock down defender as a long sticker midfielder.

MIA trades with DEN
CHI or WASH trades with DET
Then, how exactly do we get Fields?

The Bears & 'Skins are too far away to acquire #s 7 or 8 (if not 10 & 11) without having to offer a package that Bill would be absolutely stupid beyond belief to match.

As Grafton worked him into different positions on the football field, Melifonwu excelled as an option quarterback, wide receiver and defensive back for a team that far exceeded expectations. Then, in a move that changed the landscape of Central Massachusetts lacrosse, Melifonwu joined Grafton's highly-regarded lacrosse team and become a lock down defender as a long sticker midfielder.

The lacrosse bit may have put him at the top of BB’s draft board lol

And now, according to the 2-Minute Drill segment on the NFL Channel's Moving the Chains program, not only are the 49ers amenable to trading Grop, they would be willing to do so This Very Weekend...It's gotta be either Mac Jones or Justin Fields at #3; no way they're drafting Lance...

I think some of you are gonna be VERY VERY disappointed when BB sits on #15....and the 5th QB is there for the taking, but he then trades down!

I wouldn't read too much into this. The Pats have pre-draft trade talks to trade up and trade down every year and most of the talk turns into nothing. You don't to start negotiating with another team on draft night and you want to be prepared for the instance where someone you love ends up falling down the draft unexpectedly or if someone you are targeting in your draft position is snapped up before they get to you and there is no one else you love at that position.

My son played football him for a while, great athlete. That said, I'd pass, not sure he is better than big brother.

I think some of you are gonna be VERY VERY disappointed when BB sits on #15....and the 5th QB is there for the taking, but he then trades down!

man, I hope you are 100 percent correct!

Ashley, I consider 8 as “dropping” for Sewell. a few months ago he was the consensus number 2 pick. now he’s out of the top 5. and if the rumors are true that the Pats are trying to trade for the 8th pick from Carolina then he could drop out of the top 10.
Gotcha Tommy....I still think there is a good shot that he goes at 5, but if he does fall below 8, some team will be getting good value.

The lacrosse bit may have put him at the top of BB’s draft board lol
Wait until he shows up in the Mounted 7s event in Rugby Rodeo

Hey isn't it time for another Carr brother yet? They get better over time.

Yep plus the extra $$ and the 3rd comp pick if they let Thuney walk last year.

Bill absolutely failed last off-season. You either tank for a top 5 pick or put together a team that can make the playoffs.

Being at #15 showed a lack of direction or fear of having a really bad year.

I tend to think it was fear of finishing bad.
Exactly how does a coach go about convincing players whose paychecks rely solely upon their tape to go out and suck for a better team draft pick?

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back