PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lions looking to trade down from #7? (Allegedly)

Maybe your

You are free to trust whomever you like.

But Simms is not the only one who saw an issue with Field's throwing motion.

Interesting discussion here from Bedard.

He talks about how Fields is a deep strider with an elongated throwing motion. And he discusses how Trey Lance has a hitch in his throwing motion but not a long strider. So each QB has mechanical throwing issues to fix. [26:50]

Like I said if there's something that doesn't work with Fields motion, it needs to be coached out of him at the pro level. That adds to the gestation period and his 'readiness' to start as an NFL QB. That doesn't mean I don't feel like Fields doesn't have a high upside, with his athleticism of course he does. But mechanical problems throwing = longer adjustment period. I'm sure he's working with a throwing coach or personal trainer to fix this, but compared to Jones whose throwing motion is already good. I feel that makes a difference in NFL 'readiness'.

The other point to consider, and was mentioned in the video, was did the coaching dictate that Fields take longer on his reads, were they telling him, wait on the big play, don't take the easy one, or is it Field's read processing speed in question. Hard to tell but it does raise a red flag again about NFL readiness. Was it the scheme or was it Fields? [18:10]

Bottom line - Bedard ranks the QBs: Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Fields, Lawrence. All 5 guys look like legit 1st round prospects. It's a matter of who looks more polished. And there's the unquantifiable matter of intangibles. Who has the biggest drive of the top 5 QBs, to become the best out of this super talented QB draft class? Who uses the drop as the 'chip' to motivate themselves to become even BETTER than the QBs drafted ahead of him? Lastly if Fields/Lance drops, how far do you move up to take one of them.

I think you are over exaggerating.
Fields threw more to his second read than any QBs in the draft and was more successful doing so.
There is no need to change his throwing motion.

There's now talk of teams looking to trade back from picks 4, 6, 7, 8, and 11. I could see it either way, a mad rush to grab the remaining QBs or everybody being content to sit back and wait. Last year, for example, the first trade up was to 13, and the first trade up of more than one draft slot was to 23.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back