Twitter is buzzing with Patriots news, and here are some of the highlights of what we’ve learned heading into tonight’s “dress rehearsal” against the St. Louis Rams.
Let’s start with who will/won’t be playing tonight:
- Wes Welker has been spotted and is dressed, and is expected to play in tonight’s game.
- Julian Edelman was not seen prior to the game, and it appears will not play this evening.
- The same can be said for rookie tight end Aaron Hernandez, who also was not on the field during warmups.
- No Kyle Arrington, Darnell Jenkins or George Bussey – they were spotted in street clothes which means they’re not expected to play.
- Jermaine Cunningham is also missing from the field, which has been frustrating since many fans were hoping to get to see him in live game action during this exhibition season.
Another interesting note is the fact that 98.5 The Sports Hub reports that runningback Sammy Morris will get the start tonight against St. Louis, which can’t be good news for Laurence Maroney. Although we’ll have to see exactly when he comes into the game before we rush to any form of judgement. However, if he fails to see any time through three quarters (assuming the starters play into the third quarter) one will have to wonder what the team’s plans really are for him heading into this season.
One last thing worth noting is it appears that the rookies got their haircuts today, so stay tuned to the broadcast tonight to see if you catch a glimpse of any of them. From most reports it appears that some of those haircuts are going to make life somewhat difficult for them until they’re “permitted” to fix them.