PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lions looking to trade down from #7? (Allegedly)

If not Horn, we could trade down a bit and draft Newsome.
I’m curious to see what denver does. With Carolina taking Darnold they have the inside track for QB if they want one. They could also go corner, especially being in that division facing mahomes and Herbert 4 times. If they go corner I’m assuming Dallas takes the other one and then yeah if we’re eyeing corner newsome is the next one I would take. Farley scares me with the back issues.

They aren't needed. Just bonuses.
At least one of them is definitely needed, and possibly a 4th if the Two TE offense is going to be their base offense, which I believe it will be. I think Asiasi is sticking, but Keene will be on the bubble.

At least one of them is definitely needed, and possibly a 4th if the Two TE offense is going to be their base offense, which I believe it will be. I think Asiasi is sticking, but Keene will be on the bubble.

The conversation was about 2021, with the Pats drafting Pitts. And the question was, would the Pats have enough TE's to run the 3 TE offense? So those two guys become backup and injury insurance in that case.

The conversation was about 2021, with the Pats drafting Pitts. And the question was, would the Pats have enough TE's to run the 3 TE offense? So those two guys become backup and injury insurance in that case.
I missed that, but they aren’t going to even get a whiff at Pitts.

Saw this and thought it was an interesting note to ponder. It's draft related, though not directly to this Lions decision.

Just wonder if anyone will move up before draft night ??? (similar to the 49ers move ??)

Just wonder if anyone will move up before draft night ??? (similar to the 49ers move ??)
Draft night seems to be the right time for ATL. DET should wait until they are on the clock.

Yeah, possibly the top 3 maybe as per script but the excitement should ramp up at pick 4

You joke, but if 6 QBs were taken in those first 6 spots, I’d trade up to #7 in a heartbeat and draft Kyle Pitts. The 3 TE offense, plus a burner in Agholor and with Harris at RB and with our O-line, we’d have the ultimate chess pieces to stress a defense. Even 2020 Cam couldn’t mess that up.
I think you're underestimating Cant Newton.

We can't trade up right now. Someone would leap frog us to #4, #5, or even #6 (the Fish could just do it to screw with us).

Lay out a loose trade framework...and execute it once Goodell walks to the podium for the Fish's #6 pick.

I’m curious to see what denver does. With Carolina taking Darnold they have the inside track for QB if they want one. They could also go corner, especially being in that division facing mahomes and Herbert 4 times. If they go corner I’m assuming Dallas takes the other one and then yeah if we’re eyeing corner newsome is the next one I would take. Farley scares me with the back issues.

Farley scares me too...I'm not touching him with even my second draft pick, wherever that will be...But I feel that #15 is about a dozen picks too early for Newsome, though he's my #3 CB also.

And if I were the Loins GM I too would be looking to trade down...They have so many holes to fill that they would be better-served having multiple high-round picks than one very high-round pick.

We can't trade up right now. Someone would leap frog us to #4, #5, or even #6 (the Fish could just do it to screw with us).

Lay out a loose trade framework...and execute it once Goodell walks to the podium for the Fish's #6 pick.
to screw with us? It is reasonable for MIA to trade with DEN if the compensation is there.

to screw with us? It is reasonable for MIA to trade with DEN if the compensation is there.

Yeah, if the Pats don't have a good QB...the Fish can be assured of at least 1 divisional split win a year for the next 2-3 years....

Worth screwing the Pats for in exchange for moving on from Chase to Waddle...

i also don’t see jones as more nfl ready than fields and im curious what you base that on.
Jones has picture perfect accuracy and good fundamental throwing mechanics already. Jones processes his reads lightning fast.

Fields might have a higher upside than Jones, but he's going to need to work on making his reads faster and not holding the ball too long, in the NFL that leads to sacks.

Fields throwing motion is also a little funky. I understand that he is working with a throwing coach to fix that, but again this adds to how long it might take him to adjust to the NFL. I mean just look at Carson Wentz. It took him time to adjust because his mechanics needed fixing out of college.

On Thursday’s episode of Chris Simms Unbuttoned, the NBC analyst explained that Justin Fields’ footwork and throwing mechanics “really scares” him. He demonstrated a lack of foot and hip movement in the pocket leading up to passes that he says “nobody” in the NFL does.

“Nobody does that,” Simms said, referring to Fields’ motions. “Nobody in the NFL throws the ball… doing that consistently and making that work. That’s not gonna happen… You’re not gonna be able to piece it together all the time, so that scares me.”

Jones has picture perfect accuracy and good fundamental throwing mechanics already. Jones processes his reads lightning fast.

Fields might have a higher upside than Jones, but he's going to need to work on making his reads faster and not holding the ball too long, in the NFL that leads to sacks.

Fields throwing motion is also a little funky. I understand that he is working with a throwing coach to fix that, but again this adds to how long it might take him to adjust to the NFL. I mean just look at Carson Wentz. It took him time to adjust because his mechanics needed fixing out of college.

On Thursday’s episode of Chris Simms Unbuttoned, the NBC analyst explained that Justin Fields’ footwork and throwing mechanics “really scares” him. He demonstrated a lack of foot and hip movement in the pocket leading up to passes that he says “nobody” in the NFL does.

“Nobody does that,” Simms said, referring to Fields’ motions. “Nobody in the NFL throws the ball… doing that consistently and making that work. That’s not gonna happen… You’re not gonna be able to piece it together all the time, so that scares me.”
Most analysis and statistics don’t agree with that, or with Simms who is among the last I would trust.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but let's not overlook the act that the Broncos could attempt to trade with Detroit as well. In that scenario the Lions may prefer Denver's offer since it would mean Detroit would receive preferable draft picks (six spots earlier) than any similar package that New England proposes.

Denver had previously attempted to trade for Matthew Stafford, which means they are most likely wanting to draft a QB in the first round.

One report claimed that the Broncos offered the #9 overall pick and Drew Lock to Detroit for Stafford; a later report stated Denver wanted the Lions to add a 2nd round draft pick along with Stafford for that #9 pick.

This

If Jones is picked at 3, Fields or Lance could go to the Broncos at #7 in a trade up or at #9. The Broncos picking at #7 would still make it possible for the Pats to trade up with the Lions for the remaining top rated QB at # 9.

If Jones is not picked at #3 or by the Broncos, he likely slides all the way down to the Pats at #15 or beyond. This further depends on whether the Falcons take a QB at #4 or allow another team to trade up with them for the 4th consecutive QB picked at the top of Round 1.

If the Falcons or another team don't take a QB at #4, the 2 remaining QB prospects slide closer to the Pats. However, if one of these 2 is Jones or if the top 4 picks are for QB, the suspense about whether the Pats should trade up will be over.

In other words, unless Jones is really picked at 3, the possibility of trading up will only be possible if whoever is left between Lance and Fields lasts past the Broncos. This all assumes that the Jones hype is just a smokescreen and that Lantz or Fields makes it past the Broncos.

I watched a ton of Alabama football games, but I did not see Jones go through his reads lightening fast.

I saw a guy that stayed locked on his primary too long before then going through the rest of his read progression! Why? because that monster offensive line gave him 5 seconds to throw the ball!

as Marino once said, “three steps back and the ball goes out.”

Maybe your
Most analysis and statistics don’t agree with that, or with Simms who is among the last I would trust.

You are free to trust whomever you like.

But Simms is not the only one who saw an issue with Field's throwing motion.

Interesting discussion here from Bedard.

He talks about how Fields is a deep strider with an elongated throwing motion. And he discusses how Trey Lance has a hitch in his throwing motion but not a long strider. So each QB has mechanical throwing issues to fix. [26:50]

Like I said if there's something that doesn't work with Fields motion, it needs to be coached out of him at the pro level. That adds to the gestation period and his 'readiness' to start as an NFL QB. That doesn't mean I don't feel like Fields doesn't have a high upside, with his athleticism of course he does. But mechanical problems throwing = longer adjustment period. I'm sure he's working with a throwing coach or personal trainer to fix this, but compared to Jones whose throwing motion is already good. I feel that makes a difference in NFL 'readiness'.

The other point to consider, and was mentioned in the video, was did the coaching dictate that Fields take longer on his reads, were they telling him, wait on the big play, don't take the easy one, or is it Field's read processing speed in question. Hard to tell but it does raise a red flag again about NFL readiness. Was it the scheme or was it Fields? [18:10]

Bottom line - Bedard ranks the QBs: Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Fields, Lance. All 5 guys look like legit 1st round prospects. It's a matter of who looks more polished. And there's the unquantifiable matter of intangibles. Who has the biggest drive of the top 5 QBs, to become the best out of this super talented QB draft class? Who uses the drop as the 'chip' to motivate themselves to become even BETTER than the QBs drafted ahead of him? Lastly if Fields/Lance drops, how far do you move up to take one of them.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back