PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT NFL Draft Rumors

One thing is for sure, this will be the most exciting draft day for Patriots fans in a long while. I can't remember the last time I was actually anticipating draft night like this. I usually just check the results the next day rather than stay up, but this year I have to tune in.

One rumor that isn't a lie is that the Falcons will probably go Pitts.

Another thing that isn't a lie is that more than likely, the Patriots will NOT go after Trey Lance. He has all the great tools, but it's very rare that Belichick takes a QB who doesn't have experience playing in the big leagues. At least in my fan opinion, there's only one QB that the Pats are trying to get and fills their boxes and that's Justin Fields. Mac Jones and Trey Lance, while great prospects, seem like a no.

Another thing that isn't a lie is that more than likely, the Patriots will NOT go after Trey Lance. He has all the great tools, but it's very rare that Belichick takes a QB who doesn't have experience playing in the big leagues. At least in my fan opinion, there's only one QB that the Pats are trying to get and fills their boxes and that's Justin Fields. Mac Jones and Trey Lance, while great prospects, seem like a no.

Isn't Belichick's highest draft pick on a QB (a second rounder) on a QB who didn't have experience playing in the big leagues?

By big leagues I’m assuming you mean FBS, since the NFL is the big leagues and technically nobody being drafted has played in the big leagues up to that point. And yes it’s rare but it’s happened. Belichick used a 2nd round pick on Jimmy Garoppolo, a quarterback out of FCS school Eastern Illinois. What separates Jimmy from Lance is Jimmy had four seasons of college football experience while Lance only had one. Still I wouldn’t rule Lance out of consideration just for the school he went to. Didn’t stop Belichick from drafting Kyle Dugger out of Division II last year. It’s all about how the player’s skills and talents project to the NFL, and it’s harder than ever to make that projection this year.

Isn't Belichick's highest draft pick on a QB (a second rounder) on a QB who didn't have experience playing in the big leagues?
Yes, but Jimmy G also had 4 years of experience playing in CFB (another thing that seems to be common among the QBs drafted - albeit, none were ever 1st round QBs). Lance realistically has just 1.

One thing is for sure, this will be the most exciting draft day for Patriots fans in a long while. I can't remember the last time I was actually anticipating draft night like this. I usually just check the results the next day rather than stay up, but this year I have to tune in.
Or the most disappointing.

Yes, but Jimmy G also had 4 years of experience playing in CFB (another thing that seems to be common among the QBs drafted - albeit, none were ever 1st round QBs). Lance realistically has just 1.
He has the same ability whether he goes to the nfl after 1 year or 3. In fact getting to the NFL sooner would prevent the development of bad habits.

Sure but that isn't what I was responding to.

He drafted cassell who hadn’t really played since high school, JAG who was 1AA. There is no pattern he drafts players he thinks can play.

Or the most disappointing.
Although, it seems impossible to be disappointed on the night of the draft. At least wait until pre-season or week 2 to declare someone drafted a disappointment/bust. I usually wait three years to decide, but it's probably because I have no idea how to evaluate players, while others in this forum seem to know more than the coaching staff.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back