PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT NFL Draft Rumors

Chirs Simms said that he is so convinced that the Pats are NOT taking Fields, that if they do, he will show up for work tomorrow wearing only a wife beater t-shirt.
I Wonder why they think it's so unlikely. If fields is there at 7/8 it makes totally sense for us to trade up and get him if we like him. We signed good players solid weapons and have a good Situation for a young qb esp with QB as our biggest need. And a trade up to 8 is not expensive if you are able to draft your QBOTF. They barely available there. Also we don't need to draft 10 players but have plenty of picks.

Pats will go with best defensive player on the board. Lombardi has worked in that building before and knows things. If he falls to the Pats at 15 they'll trade down for a good haul then probably trade back into the late first round. They do have a big gap in picks between their 2nd and 3rd rounders.
he's not in the building now and he hasn't been for years. also his reasoning for why Pats wouldn't draft Fields is just beyond idiotic.

I Wonder why they think it's so unlikely. If fields is there at 7/8 it makes totally sense for us to trade up and get him if we like him. We signed good players solid weapons and have a good Situation for a young qb esp with QB as our biggest need. And a trade up to 8 is not expensive if you are able to draft your QBOTF. They barely available there. Also we don't need to draft 10 players but have plenty of picks.

From PFT....

Although some have Fields plunging past the first dozen picks, there’s a good chance he goes in the first 12 picks. And there’s also persistent speculation that the Patriots want him.

As Simms pointed out on Thursday’s PFT Live, there’s no way that we’d know that the Patriots want Fields, if they do. He was sufficiently confident in his belief that he vowed to wear only his white, sleeveless undershirt for a full segment on tomorrow morning, if Fields ends up with the Patriots.

So, yes, I’m now rooting for Fields to end up with the Patriots.

This is why I am so against the Pats trading up just to get a QB (at least giving up multiple first rounders). This year's draft seems a lot riskier than most. I would be weary of the QBs who didn't show anything until this past year. Hell, I would be weary of any player that didn't show anything until this past year.

From PFT....

Although some have Fields plunging past the first dozen picks, there’s a good chance he goes in the first 12 picks. And there’s also persistent speculation that the Patriots want him.

As Simms pointed out on Thursday’s PFT Live, there’s no way that we’d know that the Patriots want Fields, if they do. He was sufficiently confident in his belief that he vowed to wear only his white, sleeveless undershirt for a full segment on tomorrow morning, if Fields ends up with the Patriots.

So, yes, I’m now rooting for Fields to end up with the Patriots.
Dito

This is why I am so against the Pats trading up just to get a QB (at least giving up multiple first rounders). This year's draft seems a lot riskier than most. I would be weary of the QBs who didn't show anything until this past year. Hell, I would be weary of any player that didn't show anything until this past year.
That's of course no reason to draft them just bc you need one at the position. I always assume they like one as their QBOTF, then i'm more than fine with a trade up using our second rd. pick and some mid rd..I do think a QB like Fields could take over Newton year 1 if he plays like the last few games, which would then increase our PO Chances bc we have a good team to make the PO. I agree that this year is a lot riskier than usual..

That's of course no reason to draft them just bc you need one at the position. I always assume they like one as their QBOTF, then i'm more than fine with a trade up using our second rd. pick and some mid rd..I do think a QB like Fields could take over Newton year 1 if he plays like the last few games, which would then increase our PO Chances bc we have a good team to make the PO. I agree that this year is a lot riskier than usual..

A lot of people on this board are advocating to trade up to basically get any of the top 5 QB because it is more likely to get a good to great QB in the first round than later rounds. Odds are incredible that at least one or two the guys drafted in the first round this year will be busts.

A lot of people on this board are advocating to trade up to basically get any of the top 5 QB because it is more likely to get a good to great QB in the first round than later rounds. Odds are incredible that at least one or two the guys drafted in the first round this year will be busts.
I would even say the odds are that only one or two of those guys won't be a bust.

I agree with this. I wouldn't take Jones top 15. In the twenty's yeah but he won't be there at this time bc some team will get him earlier. I'd be more happier with a QB pick than any other pick bc it's biggest value and need for the pats imo.

And with less information than most years, the variance on predicting which ones that will be is higher this year than usual. If they trade up to get a guy, I'm going to assume they REALLY like him. But if the cost is high the risk is too, even more than it usually is.

Watching Patriots fans push all sorts of nonsense, silliness, cheapness, and pure cowardice as excuses not to trade up and/or draft a QB has been the best part of this year's draft lead up. No other fan base has been nearly as ridiculous.

Last edited:
I want to stop and give a big tip of the hat to Kyle Shanahan. We all know how important the draft ratings are to Ginger Satan. Since the first 2 picks are locked in, Shanahan is the firewall between tonight being predictable or chaotic. Even though he's taking Mac Jones, his antics over the past week have generated some well needed uncertainty over the whole evening. From his nihilistic "we could all be dead by Sunday" to throwing Jimmy under the bus to floating BS that his scouts all want Trey Lance, he's kept it all entertaining and uncertain. Unhinged Kyle Shanahan, even if it's all performance art, is still a lot of fun.

I see no point or conclusion.

ALL THESE ARE TRUE
1) Many want a top 5 QB because they are more likely to be a good or great QB.
2) at least 1 or 2 are likely to bust (definition different for different people; often depends on the team environment)
3) It is unlikely to get a SB quality (top 10) QB in the later rounds.

CONCLUSION
???
For me, it is to get one of the 5 quarterbacks.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back