PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kitchens's comedy of errors @ Pats, all-22 rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Welcome to the analysis only thread. No hot takes allowed in here. Plenty of other threads for that.

Please be civil. Feel free to critique the play or disagree, but please don't become personal or start attacking each other.

Also, this thread is not some sort of "exclusive club." Everyone is welcomed to participate, to post an analytical tweet that's relevant, or to post original analysis, or a clip from the game.

Above all, if you don't understand something, whether it be terminology or concept, etc. Please ask!

Let's have a bit of comedy relief on this wet Monday morning:

Rewatching Kitchen's utter cluelessness now.

I think this play is supposed to pay off in 4 years when the teams meet again in the regular season. Geniuses like Kitchens plant those seeds with the BIG picture in mind. :rolleyes:

dumb challenges, he needs glasses

I don't have the A-22 or even gifs of the play, but I noticed on several of the Browns big runs, Patriots edge players were crashing down instead of setting the outside edge to prevent the lane. Wise and Van Noy each had a few plays like that, which seemed odd since they're usually pretty good about maintaining discipline. Aside from the missed tackles, the sloppy oversight of gap responsibility was my biggest takeaway from the relatively poor run defense -- and that seems fixable going forward.

I posted this yesterday and some posters were confused why this was a dumb decision. Tony Romo was chuckling over that.

A bit of head-scratching Kitchensism:

“I don’t coach penalties. I’m not answering questions about penalties,” the “NFL head coach” said. “I’ve never once, in 20 years of coaching, coached somebody to take a penalty. Except in a situation, where it would help you clock-wise, clock management-wise. So, I don’t know, I don’t know.”

His team leads the league with 70 penalities through 7 games. And that's just accepted penalties.

I posted this yesterday and some posters where confused why this was a dumb decision. Tony Romo was chuckling over that.

His response after the game is the stuff of legends:

“I didn’t want to use the timeout and I wanted to go for it,” Kitchens said of the intentional delay of game penalty. “We had half of our guys running off, half of our guys running on and I wasn’t giving up right then by punting the ball to them. The only chance that we had was to convert for a [first] down and then we didn’t. … I was still trying to win the game.”

The man later settled for a FG instead of going for it on 4th, while down three scores.

I mean the first two plays here sum up that the issues on offense remain a marriage of execution issues on the OL and the other SKILL players. Often one of the two groups gets their execution together for the other to be the let down like on some snaps where Brady seemed to have a lot of time but nobody came open (or someone slipped).

When both do everything falls into place like you would imagine.

He’s gotta end up a one and done. It’s so obvious he’s in over his head and to be fair he was only a coordinator in the league for what, half a season? I didn’t hate the hire since it would keep the continuity and build off of what he and Baker had the end of last season. I also didn’t hate when the Bucs canned Lovie Smith to keep Koetter in place to keep the continuity with Jameis. I guess I should start to hate hiring a guy who was there but not ready.

Can anyone tell whether they were giving Beckham extra attention like they did Tyreke Hill in the AFCC? Given Beckham's near no-show and the great amount of rushing yards given up, that would make sense.

Can anyone tell whether they were giving Beckham extra attention like they did Tyreke Hill in the AFCC? Given Beckham's near no-show and the great amount of rushing yards given up, that would make nse.
They used the Gilly Lock on obj.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results