PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kitchens's comedy of errors @ Pats, all-22 rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d be surprised if Bill didn’t dial it back on the amount of Cover-0 he’s running just a bit and maybe shift into a bit more Cover-1/Cover-1 Robber. The Browns chewed that up with Chubb which is always a possibility when/if the back gets through the initial surge. It might have been covered already (I haven’t had the chance to check the entire thread yet), but I’d be legitimately curious to know how many of Chubb’s chunk runs of, say, 5 or more yards came against Cover-0. To me, it looked like a generous percentage of them.
Yeah, I seriously doubt that they will use that against the top running team in the NFL

watching these gifs what strikes me is the effort by the D...it's incredible, it's like the ben watson denver play every single game w/ these guys, and they hate it even when they have the smallest miscue

no wonder BB loves coaching this D

I can't thank all of you enough for the videos.

I remember thinking at the time I saw the 59 yard screen by White that Dorsett shied away from a block downfield that would have freed White for a TD. After seeing this video I can see that he was just a little late and was trying to avoid a dumb penalty, not trying to avoid the contact.

I’d be surprised if Bill didn’t dial it back on the amount of Cover-0 he’s running just a bit and maybe shift into a bit more Cover-1/Cover-1 Robber. The Browns chewed that up with Chubb which is always a possibility when/if the back gets through the initial surge. It might have been covered already (I haven’t had the chance to check the entire thread yet), but I’d be legitimately curious to know how many of Chubb’s chunk runs of, say, 5 or more yards came against Cover-0. To me, it looked like a generous percentage of them.
Prior to the jet game we had run cover1 a league high 9% of the snaps. Mostly it’s on 3rd down. I haven’t gone back either but I’d be very surprised if we were blitzing 6 on early downs.

...I remember thinking at the time I saw the 59 yard screen by White that Dorsett shied away from a block downfield that would have freed White for a TD. After seeing this video I can see that he was just a little late and was trying to avoid a dumb penalty, not trying to avoid the contact.
Yeah, he just didn't quite have the angle on the DB in pursuit to make the block he wanted to make, so he had to back off before an anxious zebra threw his Mr Hankey...that's what I thought when I saw it live, and this camera shot confirms it.

dumb challenges, he needs glasses

I think this is true of most coaches, not that they need glasses, but that they make challenges out of desperation based on wishful thinking. It's sort of the coaching equivalent of Joe Flacco quarterback play - Huck it and hope.

The Browns' middle lb sure helped out by guessing the wrong gap instead of taking on the lead blocker. Michel didn't even do much to set up that block.

Simon, on the other hand, shows how to take on a block, sending the tackle reeling while setting the edge.

I'd certainly expect much more cover 1 this week, as a defense against Jackson's speed if nothing else.

I think this is true of most coaches, not that they need glasses, but that they make challenges out of desperation based on wishful thinking. It's sort of the coaching equivalent of Joe Flacco quarterback play - Huck it and hope.
Why doesn’t he ask his guys up in the box that has instant replays to get the ok

Yeah, he just didn't quite have the angle on the DB in pursuit to make the block he wanted to make, so he had to back off before an anxious zebra threw his Mr Hankey...that's what I thought when I saw it live, and this camera shot confirms it.
Yeah, I could see a blindside block being called there, if he did much more. Maybe he could have done a little more, say sped up to get in the way or do what a SF receiver did Thursday night in a similar situation, which is deliver a hand check to the DBs shoulder to impede him just enough to let the runner score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News